ROM Hack [Release] Kuriimu - A general purpose game translation toolkit for authors of fan translations.

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
First of all, Kuriimu is discontinued. All efforts will go into Kurrimu2, as well as all improvements and open issues from Kurrimu.
Kurrimu will not receive more updates.
Kurrimu2 is not yet able to handle text formats.
So, you can do nothing about the bug and it will be solved in Kurrimu2 only at a certain point.
Wait, I'm curious: what's the point of making a separate Kurrimu2 if you can update the first one? Even if it requires a rewrite from the ground-up, I don't really see a reason why it couldn't just seem like a regular update from the user side.

onepiecefreak

Kuriimu 2 Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The reason is exactly this ground-up rewrite. The engine got a massive overhaul, the libraries are massively expanded and restructured, and the plugin structure had to change a lot.
Also, the UI was overhauled as well. Features were added, refactored, or merged in different ways to incorporate the engine and libraries properly.
It's basically the same software still and "just an update" since we have Kuriimu1 here and major updated it to Kuriimu2 now.
But due to all the changes it could also be seen as a separate application, which is why we discontinued Kuriimu1 officially.

Reactions: lone_wolf323

IcySon55

Leader of Fan Translators International
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wait, I'm curious: what's the point of making a separate Kurrimu2 if you can update the first one? Even if it requires a rewrite from the ground-up, I don't really see a reason why it couldn't just seem like a regular update from the user side.
The main reason it's separated is that the plugin API changed so drastically that old plugins from K1 are completely incompatible with K2. They all need to be refactored for K2.

Reactions: smileyhead

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
The main reason it's separated is that the plugin API changed so drastically that old plugins from K1 are completely incompatible with K2. They all need to be refactored for K2.
You could communicate this to the user with a message, like ‘This plugin was made for an older version of Kuriimu and cannot be used. Please update your plugin or get in contact with the developer if you cannot find a newer version.’

IcySon55

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You could communicate this to the user with a message, like ‘This plugin was made for an older version of Kuriimu and cannot be used. Please update your plugin or get in contact with the developer if you cannot find a newer version.’
100% of K1's plugins don't work in K2... And onepiecefreak and I are the developers of 95% of the plugins in K1. ^_^;

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
100% of K1's plugins don't work in K2... And onepiecefreak and I are the developers of 95% of the plugins in K1. ^_^;
What I said still applies. There's no reason for the user to know there's been any kind of rewrite, you only need to tell them to update their plugins to work on the latest version.

onepiecefreak

Kuriimu 2 Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What I said still applies. There's no reason for the user to know there's been any kind of rewrite, you only need to tell them to update their plugins to work on the latest version.
The UI also had a massive update, as I stated. It's only one main application now, instead of 3 separate ones.
It's just too great an update.

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
The UI also had a massive update, as I stated. It's only one main application now, instead of 3 separate ones.
It's just too great an update.
There's still no reason not to make this seem like a regular update. Major UI revamps happen in other places, too.

onepiecefreak

Kuriimu 2 Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
There's still no reason not to make this seem like a regular update. Major UI revamps happen in other places, too.
I don't know what else to tell you. Everything in the software was majorly changed and we decided to make it a separate program, since all those changes were ground up reworks. Doing that in a new program altogether, insread of painstakingly gradually updating the old one, was just simpler.
Gradually updating the old program wouldn't even be possible due to all the changes.

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
I don't know what else to tell you. Everything in the software was majorly changed and we decided to make it a separate program, since all those changes were ground up reworks. Doing that in a new program altogether, insread of painstakingly gradually updating the old one, was just simpler.
Gradually updating the old program wouldn't even be possible due to all the changes.
Wait, no, that's not what I meant. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
I meant that, from a user experience standpoint, it would be better to basically ‘disguise’ this all as an update. Just bump the version number to 2.0 and carry on from there (instead of having to always call the new version ‘Kuriimu 2’) and add an update nag to the old version that either deletes the old version and auto-installs the new one to the same directory, or links you to the new repo and tells you how (and why) to ‘update’ yourself. If 2.0 detects the user trying to use a plugin made for versions prior to it, it should tell them it isn't compatible.
Like I said, most other software does this anyway. There are a few exceptions (like MS Office), but they are usually paid and only do this so you have to pay for the new version again.

onepiecefreak

Kuriimu 2 Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Wait, no, that's not what I meant. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
I meant that, from a user experience standpoint, it would be better to basically ‘disguise’ this all as an update. Just bump the version number to 2.0 and carry on from there (instead of having to always call the new version ‘Kuriimu 2’) and add an update nag to the old version that either deletes the old version and auto-installs the new one to the same directory, or links you to the new repo and tells you how (and why) to ‘update’ yourself. If 2.0 detects the user trying to use a plugin made for versions prior to it, it should tell them it isn't compatible.
Like I said, most other software does this anyway. There are a few exceptions (like MS Office), but they are usually paid and only do this so you have to pay for the new version again.
There are several problems with this approach.
The update nag: I actually wanted to include one, but @IcySon55 , the actual founder of this program, was against one. There are hints and links to Kuriimu 2 however in the Final Version of K1.
The plugin incompatibility monicker: Due to the severe restructuring, the engine is incapabable of identifying an old plugin in any way. It's just not technically feasable, so this feature can not be implemented.
Program update: K1 has no update mechanism at all and introducing one was challenging enough for K2 alone. It would just not be worth the time for the effect.

The two programs are just technically too different to "hide" this as any other update.
We want the user to know that "something" (meaning basically everything) changed.

Last edited by onepiecefreak,
Reactions: smileyhead

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
There are several problems with this approach.
The update nag: I actually wanted to include one, but @IcySon55 , the actual founder of this program, was against one. There are hints and links to Kuriimu 2 however in the Final Version of K1.
The plugin incompatibility monicker: Due to the severe restructuring, the engine is incapabable of identifying an old plugin in any way. It's just not technically feasable, so this feature can not be implemented.
Program update: K1 has no update mechanism at all and introducing one was challenging enough for K2 alone. It would just not be worth the time for the effect.

The two programs are just technically too different to "hide" this as any other update.
We want the user to know that "something" (meaning basically everything) changed.
Ah. Oh well.

biel344

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I would like help to open these files, the support tool but it is giving an error
This is the M&L Superstar Saga 3DS game

Attachments

• Sem título.png
    Sem título.png
    612.8 KB · Views: 129
  • Msg1.rar
    61.6 KB · Views: 77
Last edited by biel344,

onepiecefreak

Kuriimu 2 Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Kuriimu is deprecated, so no support will be given for it.
For such requests, please create an issue on Kuriimu2's github for future solving.

IcySon55

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What are the differences between kuriimu (1) and kuriimu2? because so far I've only noticed that kuriimu2 works worse that kuriimu (1).
Kuriimu2 is still in alpha and many parts are not finished. The point is that it's all new (code base) and has more flexibility. The actual full release has yet to come. It's not that you can't use K1 of course, in fact it's better to use both for what each can do right now until K2 completely takes over.

Reactions: swosho

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Hello @realtimesave.