Homebrew [Release] Hourglass9 - Noob friendly & safe NAND dumper / restorer

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's not as simple as you may think (I'd almost say, impossible). 3DS type (N3DS / O3DS) can be recognized by the backup size (only N3DS is > 1GB). FW can only be recognized with a database of FIRM hash, and region needs to decrypt and extract a file from NAND. BUT: you can't look into NANDs that are not dumped from the console you are running Hourglass9 from, so identifying a different consoles NAND backup is out of question. So, that's that.

Not only that but I believe you made this tool to dump/restore nand/emunand, right? Not dealing with roms/cia's?

Anything other than that will be ...I dunno..something more?

P

PaiiNSteven

Oooooo I wanna test it out. I Want to see if I can find a way to brick. I gots a9lh so its ok.
Honestly with a tool like this, im pretty sure the only way to brick is by installing a wrong nand dump. Even with a9lh this isnt possible though because you can always reinstall a valid dump. Unless theres something wrong with the program though, its pretty noob-proof.

Reactions: hobbledehoy899

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly with a tool like this, im pretty sure the only way to brick is by installing a wrong nand dump. Even with a9lh this isnt possible though because you can always reinstall a valid dump. Unless theres something wrong with the program though, its pretty noob-proof.
I can believe

Reactions: hobbledehoy899

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well, and just try to flash a wrong / corrupted NAND dump. You will have a hard time, guaranteed. And you can recover from it via a9lh, even if you manage to do it.

Last edited by d0k3,

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
@d0k3 It would be cool to have an option to have the backup named with date.
- sysnand_20160525.bin
- emunand_20160525.bin

I put my backups straight in a folder named with date:
- \2016-05-25\sysnand.bin
- \2016-05-25\emunand.bin

But i can imagine some ppl just copy them in folders like \01\sysnand.bin \02\sysnand.bin etc...

Reactions: Quantumcat

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@d0k3 It would be cool to have an option to have the backup named with date.
- sysnand_20160525.bin
- emunand_20160525.bin

I put my backups straight in a folder named with date:
- \2016-05-25\sysnand.bin
- \2016-05-25\emunand.bin

But i can imagine some ppl just copy them in folders like \01\sysnand.bin \02\sysnand.bin etc...
Not possible, has already been brought up. We have no access to the real time clock.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

By the way, to be fair, there is one way you can brick (irreparably that means) even with this. You'd need a pristine, uncorrupted, unchanged NAND dump (from your console, of course), and you'd need to use a hex editor to change something in one very specific place. Won't put this out, though, but anyone with a hardmod and some knowledge about the NAND structure can go figure.

Last edited by d0k3,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not possible, has already been brought up. We have no access to the real time clock.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

By the way, to be fair, there is one way you can brick (irreparably that means) even with this. You'd need a pristine, uncorrupted, unchanged NAND dump (from your console, of course), and you'd need to use a hex editor to change something in one very specific place. Won't put this out, though, but anyone with a hardmod and some knowledge about the NAND structure can go figure.
Well...it's not that hard to find out..btw, on a non-a9lh console, it's two. :P

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
This is once again, a useful tool for both my 2DS and for my boyfriend. In both cases, there's no need for the countless menus of Decrypt 9, just a back up and restore option is all that's needed.

Shadowtrance

Trophies
XP
Country
@d0k3 :)

eef9865d96.jpg

RacsoSakuraba

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
@d0k3 You can add an option to name your backup tools where the nand are made, besides sysnand, nand_sys, nand, emunand, nand_emu? Like "A9LH_nand.bin" for A9LH users also give an example as well as you do in OTP helper. Apology my bad english.

PD: Great work!!!

Last edited by RacsoSakuraba,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Also nice. Never really watched Fallout on Prime, but sounds like a good show. +1