Homebrew Official [release] Homebrew App Store (for WiiU)

vgmoose

OP
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States

hbl_icon.png

Homebrew App Store v2.3.2

Usage
Download: https://github.com/fortheusers/hb-appstore/releases
Web Version: https://apps.fortheusers.org/wiiu/

Set up either Aroma (latest) or Tiramisu (legacy) on your Wii U, and then unzip the "WiiU-ExtractToSD.zip" file to the root of your SD card. The "appstore" folder should end up alongside other wiiu apps inside sd:/wiiu/apps. After this, open it in the Wii U menu (Aroma) or use HBL (Tiramisu).
Description
Homebrew App Store allows you to download homebrew apps directly in the app. Installed apps can also be reinstalled, updated, or deleted. It is an attempt at a poor man's Cydia for Wii U!

Apps featured within HBAS are made by other homebrew developers. The main repo is maintained by ForTheUsers, and new apps can be requested or submitted at submit.fortheusers.org. If you are a developer, please join the 4TU Discord to view any feedback submitted for your apps.

Although "store" is in the name, the apps within are all free-- If a specific homebrew developer wants to charge for their app, they would have to do so outside of HBAS. The name just refers to the concept of an App Store.

Credits
This app wouldn't exist without without any help! :yayu:

Repo Maintenance / Development: pwsincd, VGMoose, Nightkingale, rw-r-r_0644, crc32, CompuCat, Quarky
Library Dev / Support: Maschell, brienj, Dimok, GaryOderNichts, FIX94, Zarklord, CreeperMario, Ep8Script
Contributions / Design: LyfeOnEdge, Román, Jaames, iTotalJustice

The bundled music is Slimers by (T-T)b. Check out their Linktree here!

Troubleshooting
Apps won't install! Just goes back to the overview: Check the SD card write lock! If it's read-only, no apps will be able to be installed.
Update was a downgrade: Most likely the version of the app on the server is out of date. 4TU repo maintainers may take around 1-2 days for routine app updates. On discord, the #hbas-updates channel will display newly added or updated apps.
Crashed or black screen! Please make sure you have the latest hb-appstore files and your environment is up to date. In particular, you might have an outdated HBL.

Recovery Mode: If the UI behaves strangely, you can enter "Recovery mode" by spamming L and R while hb-appstore opens. This will allow you to manage packages and troubleshoot the network connection more directly. You can also reset all installed package data (this is equivalent to deleting sd:/wiiu/apps/appstore/.get manually).

Contact
For more detailed questions or support, join the 4TU discord, contact @pwsincd, @Nightkingale, @vgmoose, or email: contact [ @ ] fortheusers.org.

Music Customization
The background music that plays can be customized by replacing or removing the background.mp3 file within the sd:/wiiu/apps/appstore folder.

Self-Hosting
If you're interested in running your own repo for HBAS to use, please see this section of the libget wiki. After setting up a repo, edit the repos.json file inside of the sd:/wiiu/apps/appstore/.get folder to either include an entry for your new repo, or replace the 4TU one.

The original vision of hb-appstore was that many developers would each host and maintain their own repos, but this is not a common use case, and as a result HBAS users are not in the habit of managing repos (So, maybe not-so-much like Cydia after all).

Contributing
See the issues page on github: https://github.com/fortheusers/hb-appstore/issues

If you'd like to contribute to any of the above, check out the code and open a PR! It would be much appreciated.

License
Homebrew App Store is licensed under the GPL3 license, so it can be freely modified and used as long as the source remains public.

Last edited by vgmoose,

Olmectron

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Reactions: CeeDee

seresaa

Resa
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it matters, I wrote something that generates geckiine .elfs with your IP set.
Until the day comes when the IP can be selected from within the console, maybe you could have it download that to the SD. It still has to be run on Windows to actually make/change the elf, but... I mean, it's better than having something on the store you can't really use at all. Plus it's nice to know there's a way to change it without having to download it all over again. But hey, I didn't make this thing. Wonder what OatmealDome thinks.

...It would actually be pretty cool if there were a way to use something like this store to put in an IP and download a patched elf that way. I wonder.

Xuman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
looks great nice job ;)
reminds me of the good old homebrew browser for the wii good times

Was gonna say the same thing.

It works great! Once we get more brew uploaded, it will be so much more convenient for the average person. I hope this continues to be updated and worked on throughout the wii u scenes life span.

D

Deleted User

One of the apps got corrupted, redo your SD card to contain only a fresh HBL
This actually happened to me during a beta trial. I found that the icon.png and meta.xml contained only the following content:
The icon and metadata were also missing on the web front-end, but @pwsincd fixed it (with some interesting icons, I must say).

This will prove convenient for many, many people. I would personally love to see @dimok include this with HBL distributions. :P

Reactions: vgmoose

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs