[RELEASE] Heroes of Might and Magic III HD Edition (port of Android version of HoMM3 HD to PS Vita)

Northfear

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
Heroes of Might and Magic 3. Finally on PS Vita!
Original Android version is required (v1.1.6 only).
Source code, VPK file and and detailed instructions are on the github page of the project:
https://github.com/Northfear/homm3hd-vita

Custom maps are supported, but only from the "The Restoration of Erathia" version.
Game can crash sometimes due to running out of VRAM, so make sure to save the game after important battles. Some visual bugs are still present (wrong rendering order on the world map, wrong projectile direction), but I've managed to complete a few maps w/o major problems, so the game seems definitely playable for me.

2.png

Last edited by Northfear,

Reploid

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
How comfort it is to play, actually? I 'member disliking Diablo 1 on vita, cause this rear touch panel only got in the way and some functions were hard to reach.

Northfear

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
How comfort it is to play, actually? I 'member disliking Diablo 1 on vita, cause this rear touch panel only got in the way and some functions were hard to reach.
Kinda the same as on Vita-sized phone. Screen is a bit too small for that kind of a game, but it was definitely playable. Might be hard for people with big fingers, but in general it was "alright" experience for me.

Reactions: such and Reploid

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am one of the HOMM2 is best HOMM heretics but still like to see things like this. Is the android version that gimped compared to PC versions?

Northfear

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
I am one of the HOMM2 is best HOMM heretics but still like to see things like this. Is the android version that gimped compared to PC versions?
Yes, but no:)
It's not gimped. Maps and campaigns are the same as in HD edition on PC.
The only problem is that HD edition only includes original HoMM3 version (The Restoration of Erathia) w/o any add-ons that were released later (allegedly due to source code being lost back then).

Reactions: such

such

Trophies
XP
Country
Barbados
This is amazing to have on the Vita, regardless. Thank you, @Northfear!

Interesting coincidence: VCMI just got a major 1.0 update, and that's the full HoMM3 experience, with an Android port as well.

Northfear

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
This is amazing to have on the Vita, regardless. Thank you, @Northfear!

Interesting coincidence: VCMI just got a major 1.0 update, and that's the full HoMM3 experience, with an Android port as well.
VCMI was obviously my first goal (back in 2019 I think), but I would probably have to leave my job just to port it, since the required amount of effort was massive (from completely changing the architecture of the engine to porting lots of dependencies). And even with that VCMI AI would probably just destroy Vita in therms of system requirements (unless it was improved recently).
So with that out of the way Android port was the only more or less realistic way to get HoMM 3 on Vita for me.
I would still love to see VCMI on Vita tho.

Reactions: such

such

Trophies
XP
Country
Barbados
VCMI was obviously my first goal (back in 2019 I think), but I would probably have to leave my job just to port it
Yeah, I figured it'd be something along those lines. I really do appreciate this port - besides, a smaller dose of crack is still crack ;)

peter8

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Update ! From dec.2022 homm3hd-vita

v1.0.0 - Sep 18.2022
- Initial release

v1.0.1 - Sep 20.2022
- Added libgpu_es4_kernel_ext.skprx to the VPK. There's no need to install it manually anymore.

v1.0.2 - Oct 14.2022
- Fixed not working savegames with missing "pref" folder

v1.0.3 Latest - Dec 14.2022
- Increased delay between taps for ranged attack to 1.6s (making it way easier to trigger during the big battles)

Million thanks for re-work and your time to do some Fixes !

peter8

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
thank you ! was hoping you come back, yeah.

older versions was also PSTV compatible, but had not enough time for testing.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: 🦛 🐦 (🐑🐑) 🦛 🐦 (🐑🐑) 🦛 🐦 🦌🐑 🦛🐦 (🐑🐑)