Homebrew [Release] Fruit'Y port for 3DS - Retroguru Team

nop90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
fruity.gif

Fruit'Y - Playing with edibles is heavily inspired by the Kaiko classic Gem'X, which has been seen on computers such as the Commodore Amiga 500, Commodore 64 and Atari ST.

Although tiger mum forbids little Sheran to play with edibles, there is simply no way to stop him from playing with fruits found inside the deep jungle. Being shiny, smelling wonderful and tasting even better Sheran can't be kept away. So let's do the best we could do: Support him!

The game consists of two boards of fruits. The left field belongs to Sheran who needs to reproduce the right field 1:1 being able to proceed to the next level. Sounds easy?!

There is a total of five fruits. Once you control Sheran's prank and activate a field, the fruit inside the activated field morphs two steps, while the other fields located above, below, to the left and to the right, morph the fruit located inside only once.

The order of fruits is shown in the middle of the playing field.
Mango -> Turns into an orange
Orange -> Turns into a banana
Banana -> Turns into a pear
Pear -> Turns into an apple
Apple -> Turns into nothing, the apple disappears.

Don't forget: Hit on the spot, the fruit morphs two steps, while the surrounding neighbour fruits only morph once. It's not difficult to understand, just play the first few levels.

The game is released in 3dsx and Cia formats. The code is closed source and copyright of Retroguru (www.retroguru.com)

Release link (final) : http://www.retroguru.com/fruity/fruity-v.latest-nintendo3ds.zip
Check the Fruit'Y page www.retroguru.com/fruity for other platforms ports of this game.

Fruity Trailer

Releases

Added Sound/SFX volume level controls (30 october 2016) Warning: if you update from the previous version, go to option ad adjust the SFX volume or it will be very low (15%)
Final release - 3dsx and CIA (29 september 2016)
RC1 release - 3dsx and CIA (15 september 2016)
Beta release - CIA (7 september 2016)
Beta release - 3dsx (3 september 2016)

Screenshots

Fruity1.png
Fruity2.png
Fruity3.png

Installation

In the zip there are the Cia file and a folder with the 3dsx and the smdh files inside, to be used with a homebrew launcher. All the resources are included in the executable using romfs.

The game creates a fruity subfolder inside the 3ds folder if doesn't exist.

Last edited by nop90,

nop90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I already ported Sqrxz4 but it's in testing and needs some fixes at the musics.

Plans are to port all the Retroguru games as now I'm officially part of the team for the 3ds platform.

My dream is to create an original game now that I have the support of a team with professional composers and graphic designers, but really don't know if I will ever have the time.

Sorry for the closed source, I am for the Public Domain, but the Retroguru Team spent a lot of time (and money) on their game engine and on the Retroguru project in general, so I respect their choice to mantain the source closed. The important thing is that the games are free.

For the cia biild we are talking about it. It's a Nintendo proprietary format and the Team doesn't want to break any law. Probably there is no problem to use it, but we need some legal advice.

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
If people wish to create a cia from a 3dsx, they can do so with this tool:
https://github.com/devkitPro/3dstools/tree/cxi-stuff
Compile this repo and a tool called cxitool will be produced. You can make a cxi with it from the 3dsx, then use makerom to finish the conversion to cia.

I could provide cxitool.exe upon request although I'm loath to do so.

Last edited by zoogie,

Kojote

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.pdroms.de
XP
Country
Australia
Closed source :mellow: but nice work ! ;)

First of all we are glad to have nop90 on board now :)

About the closed source stuff... well... there is the idea to make the one or other game open source, but for now there is no decision yet. We (Retroguru) invest quite a lot of time and also lots of money on creating, or production of physical editions (e.g. Fruit'Y for Dreamcast as a pressed edition in a DVD box with cover), which we mostly give away for free or self cost. We do not earn money with advertising on our webpage, nor in-game (e.g. Android release, which wont even need a single extra permission). All games are totally free with no hidden anything. So the source code is basically the only thing which is of value. Anyone who wants to get the source for a port can have it anyway, once there is enough trust :)

Last edited by Kojote,

nop90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Thanks.

The game is in beta version, so pleaae try it (even if it isn't your favourite kind of game) and let me know if everything is ok.

I tested it only on citra and with a o3ds with ninjhax 1 and rxtools. Everything should be fine on other systems, but it's better to check.

Reactions: SLiV3R

Fatalanus

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Wow, that's awesome to see some really fresh things like all Retroguru games ported!!!
I does not use .3dsx format, and I'm not really with those kind of games, so i'll let this one here.

But I have huge interest in the others and will gladly test them if you manage to get .cia. :)
Thanks for yoru effort, nop90 and whole team retroguru! ;)

nop90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The good news are that I made a cia build and it works like a charm.

Now I have to decide with the team if we can distribuite it.

I think that there shouldn't be any problem, the wii version of the game is in dol format that, if I'm not wrong, is the equivalent for wii of the cia for the 3ds.

I'll give you an update soon.

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My opinion is that it's just a file format, it shouldn't be a problem. It's not like making, say, a Gameboy ROM where you need to include copyrighted data for the system to boot it.

I'll respect you guys' decision tho, happy to see this stuff making it to the 3DS anyway :)

nop90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I added the Cia file in the zip file linked in the OP.

Now that the Cia is available I hope that more people will try the game and at least one will leave a feedback.

I remember you that the game is im beta and before listing this port on the retroguru site, the team would like to know if the port works fine (no one of them own a 3ds).

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Tried the CIA, the game itself seems to work fine - played through about 8 levels and fiddled with the menus. The settings menu feels a bit futile so far, but still :)
Closing the console and opening it to enter and leave sleep mode seems to work as expected. Pressing the Home button to suspend isn't quite so successful. It pops back to the home menu ok, but the music keeps playing. Pressing Home again to resume seems to work fine, but pressing X to close gives an endless "Closing" dialogue and I had to hard shutdown. Needs more APT :)
Exiting from the game's main menu works fine tho.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs