Homebrew [Release] For Anyone Who Walks A Lot

iamevn

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Currently a little ugly but this is in good enough condition to release.
The idea is that if you walked a lot in a day and have reached the 10 play coin per day limit, you can just run this little program and it will make up the difference for you.

1439599605042.png

Download here: https://github.com/iamevn/for-anyone-who-walks-a-lot/releases/tag/v0.1b
To install, just extract the folder in the zip file ('for-anyone-who-walks-a-lot/') into the /3ds/ folder on your SD card. You do need the cache.bin file that's in there so don't delete it!
(I plan to do a CIA build soon too, just have to get things set up for that)

Please let me know if you find any bugs either here on on the github repo! I'm going to add a a vault for you to store and deposit play coins in/from so you can get around the 300 coin limit and hopefully pretty it up a little while I'm working on other stuff.

Last edited by iamevn,

logg

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is really cool. The 10 coin limit for legitimately walking puts a damper on gathering play coins legitimately at all. It seems that every game wants to eat them, so it's easy to spend more than the maximum 10 a day. Not to mention that your distribution might not be very even (7 steps one day, 10000 steps the next day), which is frustrating.

So yes, kudos on this. :)

Reactions: PascalLeroi

iamevn

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks! :)

I wrote this initially based on the Play Coin Setter but I feel like it's a lot less like cheating than using Play Coin Setter is.

Tomy Sakazaki

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
I really liked this homebrew. I'm waiting for the vault option :) (Even though there's a port of playcoin setter to 3dsx I like to do this "most honestly as possible" without doing nasty time warps).

Patodox

Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Currently a little ugly but this is in good enough condition to release.
The idea is that if you walked a lot in a day and have reached the 10 play coin per day limit, you can just run this little program and it will make up the difference for you.

Download here: https://github.com/iamevn/for-anyone-who-walks-a-lot/releases/tag/v0.1b
To install, just extract the folder in the zip file ('for-anyone-who-walks-a-lot/') into the /3ds/ folder on your SD card. You do need the cache.bin file that's in there so don't delete it!
(I plan to do a CIA build soon too, just have to get things set up for that)

Please let me know if you find any bugs either here on on the github repo! I'm going to add a a vault for you to store and deposit play coins in/from so you can get around the 300 coin limit and hopefully pretty it up a little while I'm working on other stuff.

I love this app, would you mind if I made some modifications to it? I am thinking a couple of functionalities that can make it better

PS: Sorry for my english :P

iamevn

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love this app, would you mind if I made some modifications to it? I am thinking a couple of functionalities that can make it better

PS: Sorry for my english :P

Please go right ahead. If I like what you change I'll probably incorporate the changes back into my version :)

Reactions: Patodox

bobmcjr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hiked up a small mountain a while back with my 3ds in my backpack before I knew about the limit and was pissed that I only got 10 coins. Wish I had this back then.

Reactions: iamevn

Slartibartfast42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't want to walk around with the 3DS. That sounds like a good way to get it lost, stolen, or broken. It also means you have to charge it everyday. So it's not really cheating for me to just use play coin setter then, as that would just be giving me back coins for all those times I never carried it around. It can be months in between turning on the 3DS.

CZroe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is really cool. The 10 coin limit for legitimately walking puts a damper on gathering play coins legitimately at all. It seems that every game wants to eat them, so it's easy to spend more than the maximum 10 a day. Not to mention that your distribution might not be very even (7 steps one day, 10000 steps the next day), which is frustrating.

So yes, kudos on this. :)
Earning Play Coins is just a premise for setting people up to use Spot Pass, at least as far as the built-in software is concerned. That's why they are nerfed in Puzzle Swap and Find Mii: Reward potential diminishes fast because you'll keep getting the same pieces in Puzzle Swap and hired Heroes don't level up in Find Mii. It gets you out there in a state receptive to Spot Pass and kick starts the trades (the initial pieces have to come from somewhere). They use Play Coins to seed and fuel Spot Pass and discourages using them as an alternative. That's why they put such a low limit and engineered them to have diminishing returns.

While it is less of a cheat than simply setting the coins to 300, it still cheats by giving you enough that you don't have to rely on Spot Pass as much. Remember, they aren't rewarding you for walking so much as they are encouraging you to make Spot Pass encounters. At least it continues serving the goal by getting you out there more to promote Spot Pass, but it gives you an advantage over the others doing it legit.

I guess you could say that the coins are also to make sure that you get SOMETHING for your efforts where Spot Pass is not likely to happen, especially in regions or settings where you aren't likely to encounter anyone. As an Ambassador, I unexpectedly encountered and Spot Passed with exactly ONE person in my first year of ownership. I already had max Play Coins by that point from lack of interest in spending them after getting no Spot Passes.

Imagine that you had unlimited Play Coins on two 3DSes and wanted to complete some puzzle boards. You started spending all your Play Coins on random pieces on one but new pieces became increasingly rare and buying them became increasingly tedious. Eventually you got to the point where there was only one piece missing from a board or two but you still keep getting pieces you already have. You'd probably run out of coins if you were limited to the maximum. If you had spent a fraction of that effort doing the same thing on the other 3DS, chances are that it would be missing a different pieces by the time it made similar progress. A simple swap would have filled in those holes MUCH earlier and removed those boards from the mix, increasing your chances of getting missing pieces on the remaining boards (you stop getting pieces for complete boards). It's a multiplier effect.

iamevn

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you planning on releasing as .cia?

Okay so I need to change some things about how this works for it to work as a .cia. I'll be uploading a .cia for FTP-3DS after merging some changes from upstream and then I'll rework this and add in the vault functionality. Sorry for the delay.

Reactions: Megaben99

fmkid

Just another GBATemp's random guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Can't we change that limit operating on emuNAND system files?
30000 Steps/30 Days/300 Coins <-- this is the maximum number of coins you can have
And, in addition, I understand that if you make an unexpected change on gamecoin.dat file, you will get a brick!... Then, no and not possible!

Besides, I think to obtain 300 coins in 1 second is enough for everyone!

Earth97

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
And, in addition, I understand that if you make an unexpected change on gamecoin.dat file, you will get a brick!... Then, no and not possible!

Besides, I think to obtain 300 coins in 1 second is enough for everyone!
That's my opinion, too. However, I've found someone who thinks it's not enough.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: @NinStar I like it gentle, then rough, then gentle again. Then I nap.