Hacking [Release] FHeroes2-vita (Free implementation of Heroes of Might and Magic II engine)

Northfear

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
FHeroes2 is a free implementation of Heroes of the Might and Magic II engine. Engine itself is pretty much fully functional. It also brings additional QoL improvements which can be turned on or off (like hiring units from the well). The only big thing that's missing is official campaign support, but most of original and custom scenarios are working nicely.

Installation:
  • Install VPK
  • Copy HEROES2.AGG and HEROES2X.AGG (if you own Price of Loyalty expansion) from the original games DATA folder to the ux0:data/fheroes2/data and everything from MAPS folder into the ux0:data/fheroes2/maps. Data from both original/GoG or demo version should work.
  • For additional info about music support check the projects github page.
Controls:
  • Left analog stick - Pointer movement
  • X button - Left mouse button
  • O button - Right mouse button
  • D-Pad - Map scrolling
Touch controls are also supported.

Downloads and source code:

https://github.com/Northfear/fheroes2-vita

Vita port was merged into upstream, so fheroes2 release page is probably the best place to get the latest version now
https://github.com/ihhub/fheroes2/releases

Special thanks to everyone who helped me with advises on #vitasdk IRC.

Last edited by Northfear,

Northfear

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
Both upstream and Vita ports are still alive. There has been a lot of changes since 2017, so I might as well bump this thread.

Native resolution performance is pretty good now (~45 fps at world map) and there has been a lot of changes in fheroes2 project in general (LOTS of bugfixes, AI improvements, etc.), so it might be worth checking out if you haven't already

Can't post any links, but it's still the same as the old one in original post
At VitaDB there's also demo version included (which works great with custom maps)

RaniaAl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Thank you for this awesome work.Played quite a bit and it is fun to play it on Vita.Any chance you will add the campaign in the future?

Northfear

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
Thank you for this awesome work.Played quite a bit and it is fun to play it on Vita.Any chance you will add the campaign in the future?
Guys from fheroes2 are actively working on campaign support right now. I think basic (Roland/Archibald) H2 campaign might actually be included in 0.9.1

Reactions: RaniaAl

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Guys from fheroes2 are actively working on campaign support right now. I think basic (Roland/Archibald) H2 campaign might actually be included in 0.9.1

Nice, I'll be looking forward to campaign support!
I been playing quite a bit of HoMM2 on the plane when I was off to Las Palmas.

How difficult would it be to get VCMI to work on the Vita much like fheroes2?

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
As much as I'd like to play H3 on Vita, I doubt that this will happen. VCMI is a bit of a mess tbh.
Android post of H3 HD seems kinda possible tho.

Pity, then again, having the HD version ported to Vita is at least better then nothing.
Shame they lost the source code and couldn't give the expansions the same treatment.

RaniaAl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hi Northfear
Is the campaign included with your recent release 0.91?Can't find any infos about this.

Northfear

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
Hi Northfear
Is the campaign included with your recent release 0.91?Can't find any infos about this.
I think it is. You still need campaign maps from original/GoG release. And it's probably not feature-complete yet (campaign rewards are still WIP from what I see), but at least few missions should be playable.
Probably the best place to check what's new is here:
https://github.com/ihhub/fheroes2/wiki/Change-Log

RaniaAl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Yes it is.Instead of going back to the menu I can beginn Scenario 2 after finishing SC1 in 0.91.Excellent work.Thank you so much

RaniaAl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hi Northfear
I updated to vers 0.96 and all my saves won't recognize anymore.Are you aware of this?
Is there a solution?
If not could you release the vers 0.93 on Github since mine is overwritten.Many thanks ;-)

Northfear

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
Hi Northfear
I updated to vers 0.96 and all my saves won't recognize anymore.Are you aware of this?
Is there a solution?
If not could you release the vers 0.93 on Github since mine is overwritten.Many thanks ;-)
Savegamee compatibility with old versions may break with new releases. You can check release page of fheroes2 for older versions:
https://github.com/ihhub/fheroes2/releases
Just look for fheroes2_psv_sdl2.zip in the list of the assets. Re-saving your game with newer version of the engine and updating the game to the latest one afterwards should do the trick.

Northfear

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
Thank you.Went back to 0.93 and my savestates reappeared.But what you mean by
Install newer version of fheroes2 (0.9.4 or 0.9.5, but not the one with missing savegames). Load the savegame and save it again to make it work with the latest version.

Reactions: RaniaAl

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's mostly the ones that are just pictures and no instructions at all