Official [RELEASE] disc2app - dump installable app files from wiiu game disc

Discussion in 'Wii U - Homebrew' started by EyeKey, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Icedburden

Icedburden Member

Newcomer
    Mar 26, 2017
    United States
    So do I need to remove mocha? I installed it through the homebrew store and I just deleted it. Still no dice. Am I cursed?

2. EyeKey
    OP

EyeKey GBAtemp Regular

Feb 10, 2017
    Israel
    No you don't need to delete mocha, just don't be in mocha when you use this tool. (If you entered mocha you need to reboot and then use this tool)

3. BullyWiiPlaza

BullyWiiPlaza Nintendo Hacking <3

Aug 2, 2014
    Germany
    How do you dump the update data for instance? I dumped the Black Ops 2 disk which is not available as eShop title and installed it to USB. That worked. However, if I start the game it will tell me to download the update which fails so I copy the update data from the system memory to USB but that deletes the game data instead. How would you get it to work from USB with the update data?

4. EyeKey
    OP

EyeKey GBAtemp Regular

Feb 10, 2017
    Israel
    @BullyWiiPlaza, install it again after you transfer the update. Or just download the update with nusgrabber and install it with wup installer.

It is possible to dump the update from the disk, but not really necessary.

Count Duckula and BullyWiiPlaza like this.
  5. BullyWiiPlaza

BullyWiiPlaza Nintendo Hacking <3

Aug 2, 2014
    Germany
    Wow, it indeed worked. I copied over the update and save data THEN installed the game and it's all good. Thanks :)

6. Icedburden

Icedburden Member

Newcomer
    Mar 26, 2017
    United States
    So I just got home and tried with solution and the SD card worked, but the hard drive doesn't. It is recognized by the Wii U but disc2app won't let me dump to it. Any ideas?

7. EyeKey
    OP

EyeKey GBAtemp Regular

Feb 10, 2017
    Israel
    It is for FAT32 hard drives, not hard drives that are formatted to the Wii U format. If you want to install it you need to dump it to the SD anyway and install it with wup installer.

BullyWiiPlaza likes this.
  8. Icedburden

Icedburden Member

Newcomer
    Mar 26, 2017
    United States
    I did that now, I'm all set. Thank you so much for your help!

9. Icedburden

Icedburden Member

Newcomer
    Mar 26, 2017
    United States
    Figured it out!

Last edited by Icedburden, Mar 28, 2017
  10. Malikih86

Malikih86 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 18, 2011
    United States
    So I have gotten everything installed, dumped, then installed. However it requires an update. I read that you can dump the update. I prefer to stay out of the blurred lines of piracy. How do I dump the update from the disk so I may play? I have mocha available as well as redNand and homebrew.

Last edited by Malikih86, Apr 5, 2017
  11. nexusmtz

nexusmtz GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 17, 2016
    United States
    Unless you have kept your system offline, it probably already knows the the on-disc update is not the latest, so you might as well undo your DNS blocking (if you have it) and update the normal way. (dumping 25GB of disc and trying to find a utility to extract the update isn't really worth the 3GB download you'd save.)

12. Malikih86

Malikih86 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 18, 2011
    United States
    Darn. Well is
    QUOTE="nexusmtz, post: 7222053, member: 383540"]Unless you have kept your system offline, it probably already knows the the on-disc update is not the latest, so you might as well undo your DNS blocking (if you have it) and update the normal way. (dumping 25GB of disc and trying to find a utility to extract the update isn't really worth the 3GB download you'd save.)[/QUOTE]
    Darn. Well is there a way to avoid needing the update all together?

13. N7Kopper

N7Kopper Proud lover of a three-inch girlfriend

Aug 24, 2014
    United Kingdom
    Unless you specifically want to play a pre-patch version (such as for speedrunning) it's best to just download the update. Since the update itself is free, you can use either the Wii U's OS or Wii U USB Helper without being a pirate, if you really don't want to.

If you do want to do a speedrun, then there is a way involving modification of some system file somewhere, but I have no idea exactly what.

14. muff_diving_101

muff_diving_101 Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 5, 2017
    United States
    Hey guys, quick question. Is there any advantage to using disc2app over wii u USB helper? I have some physical games I'd like to install, but it seems it would take longer to dump them than to just download them. Thoughts?

15. nexusmtz

nexusmtz GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 17, 2016
    United States
    Some games aren't available on eShop/NUS, so they won't appear in WiiU USB Helper.
    Dumping doesn't count against anyone's data cap.
    The slower your internet connection, the more sense dumping makes.
    Nintendo can't tell that you're dumping a disc. (They can tell, but they don't seem to care, that you're downloading.)

pelago likes this.
  16. pelago

pelago Member

Feb 20, 2006
    Seems slightly more morally right to dump a physical disc if you have one.

17. muff_diving_101

muff_diving_101 Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 5, 2017
    United States
    Awesome, thanks for the answers guys! One more thing, does it matter if I already have saves/updates/dlc's installed for my physical games? As in, will I need to delete the update stuff and dlcs, then dump the disc, then reinstall the updates and dlcs? Also, will it delete my saves? Thanks again in advance and sorry for the noob questions!

18. Drew That Gamer

Drew That Gamer weeb

GBAtemp Patron
    Drew That Gamer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 29, 2015
    United States
    Arlington, VA
    If installing the game to your system memory, you should be fine. If installing to USB, move save data/updates/DLC to the USB BEFORE installing the game.

RobertoD91 and pelago like this.
  19. muff_diving_101

muff_diving_101 Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 5, 2017
    United States
    Ok will do! Thank you so much!!!

20. KalleKula

KalleKula Member

Newcomer
    Mar 13, 2017
    Does this mean that I can do a full copy of my kids games to a SD card and install it on my external HDD? I have homebrew and HAXCHI on my Wii U.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted