[RELEASE] [DEMO] The Great Ace Attorney - The Adventure of Ryuunosuke Naruhodou

78jdfk7.png

Happy New Year, fellow Ace Attorney fans!

We'd like to kick off the new year by releasing a taste of what's to come with the translated Demo of The Great Ace Attorney - The Adventure of Ryuunosuke Naruhodou. We're sorry we couldn't finish Episode 1 in time for New Year's, but please enjoy this until it's ready. Let us know what you think.

This free fan-translation uses the dialogue font of Dual Destinies, so you will need to own a version of it in order to play our patch. Team If would like to remind you that we DO NOT condone piracy - so please, please don't share a completed CIA with other people. We know the patcher is not very user-friendly yet, at the time of the release it was less then one day old. It will be much better in time for our Episode 1 release.

Fellow fan-translators: we would absolutely love to see The Great Ace Attorney translated into many, many more languages, so fans all around the world can enjoy it. We're working on a program to take in "representatives" of other groups to work closely with our translators, so you can get all the nuances right in your native language. We're currently not sure when we can start with this program, because it shouldn't interfere with our releases of the English Episodes, so please be patient and don't just steal our work.

Regarding voice-acting: we're not sure what we're going to do here, to be honest. We may offer an alternative patch with voice-acting in the future, but no promises yet. We'll see.

It's no secret among Ace Attorney fans that our decision not to localize character names and re-locating the story to the US is controversial. We hope you will understand our decision (which was unanimous among our translators), after you've played Episode 1. We still tried to keep the typical "Ace Attorney feel" and we do try to localize jokes and references so they work in English, but the nature of the Game - in our humble opinion - makes white-washing the main cast impossible. Yes, we're aware of a completed translation script that does exactly that. As a team, we disagree with the direction it went, we believe the "liberties" it took to fit the Game into previous localisations were way to drastic, even for Ace Attorney standards. The resulting change of atmosphere and even character's personalities were simply too much for us to accept. You can form your own opinion on this matter by playing our take on the translation before condemning it.

Remember - we're fans, too!

-- Team If - DGS Division

Most of you probably already know this, but you can install CFW on all 3DS firmwares up to 11.3 now: https://3ds.guide/ - if you updated to 11.4 (without A9LH), there's currently no way for you to play this patch!

Prerequisites: You need to have the newest version of FBI (at least 2.4.5), the latest version of Decrypt9 (20161113), the original DGS Demo and ONE version of Dual Destinies installed on your Home Menu:
* Dual Destinies EU Demo
* Dual Destinies EU Full Version
* Dual Destinies US Demo
* Dual Destinies US Full Version

1) Extract the contents of the archive into a folder.
2) Put the 3DS/DDFontDumper folder into the 3DS folder on your SD card, so it will look like this:
sd:/3DS/DDFontDumper/DDFontDumper.3dsx
sd:/3DS/DDFontDumper/DDFontDumper.xml
3) Launch it via the Homebrew Launcher. It will dump Dual Destinies' font archive to the root of your SD card:
sd:/dd_font.bin
4) Use Decrypt9 to create a decrypted CIA of your LEGALLY installed DGS Demo:
[Content Decryptor Options] > [CIA Builder Options] > [CIA Builder (SysNAND/decr.)]
/title/00040002/0014ad01
5) Put both the dd_font.bin and the decrypted CIA (should be in sd:/D9Game/ or sd:/files9/) into the folder you made in the first step and rename the CIA "demo.cia" (without quotation marks, of course).
6) Run build.bat to create "demo_english.cia". If all went well, you can now install this new CIA with FBI. Make sure once again it's at least version 2.4.5!

Last, but not least: we are still looking for a skilled reverse engineer (knowledge of ARM ASM and the 3DS in particular would be great) to help us figure out some of the remaining mysteries of the game. Other helping hands for inserting and proof-reading text can apply as well, but please note that we do not take testers.

* The font dumper crashed on me...
- Did you use homebrew launcher 1.1.1? Is Dual Destinies installed? Did you try again?

* Why not make the dumper a CIA?
- Technical reasons. A home menu installed app can't easily access another RomFS.

* I got an error building the CIA: Game CXI hash invalid...
- That means you either dumped the wrong CIA or it's still encrypted. Read the instructions once more and try again.

* The CIA installed, but the label is empty and it crashes when I start it
- Did you see us asking you to update to the latest FBI 2.4.5? Yeah, it was about that. Delete title 000400020014AD02 from the Titles menu in FBI and try again with the newest version...

* Why not just release a CIA?
- Because that would be illegal.

* OK, but why not just include the font?
- Again, because that would be illegal. We don't want to be shut down before we release our first episode.

* Isn't this just going to end up in the usual places anyway?
- Probably, though we urge you - please! - don't do it.

* There's still some bugs/untranslated text/one pixel off
- Yeah, we know. It was either that or no release for New Year's...

* [Generic translation nitpicking]
- Japanese is a contextual language that can't be translated 100% accurate. It will always be more of an interpretation, but our translators know their stuff and did tons of research and revisions together with the proof-readers.

* [Generic technical nitpicking]
- Yeah, we know. That's why we'd like to have a reliable reverse engineer...

* OMG! I LUV YOU GAIS ARE THA BEST!!!1!
- Hehe, we love you guys, too. Happy New Years!

Our friends of LJT asked for permission to translate our DEMO to (European) Spanish and just finished with a little help from us:
http://aceattorneyspain.foro.bz/t913-traduccion-the-great-ace-attorney#16701

PS: Yes, "People", not "Profiles"...
PPS: Yes, "Post Mortem" - it's not a complete autopsy and the Japanese word was different, too...

Mods: I asked @Chary for permission to post the patch itself. It doesn't contain a single byte of copyrighted code. Only delta patches...

Attachments

• DGS_DEMO_Happy_New_Year_2017.7z
    2 MB · Views: 1,260
  • DDFontDumper.7z
    205.9 KB · Views: 941
Last edited by Uwabami,

Uwabami

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
One of our coders has stated that the recent update on HANS should theoretically be already compatible with our patch.

jk Uwabami is a god and we have something that does exactly what's listed below.
We might also look into modifying the patcher that was used in our FE Division for DGS rom patching. (The patcher can generate both .3DS and .cia roms, provided an original rom, xorpads, and some other things).

Stay tuned!

FINALLY you admit it lu :ha:

IRIS was made specifically for DGS and can also output 3DS and a HANS RomFS. But it's still a mess and needs a nice, user-friendly GUI.

Lewt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
My 3DS is on the most recent firmware, but I can access HB via freakyforms. Will this work without custom firmware, and what about the full translation? Not an expert on 3DS modification ^^"

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My 3DS is on the most recent firmware, but I can access HB via freakyforms. Will this work without custom firmware, and what about the full translation? Not an expert on 3DS modification ^^"

It won't work without cfw for a lot of reasons. Principally you need to get a japanese demo, totally not possible on vanilla eur console.

Reactions: Uwabami

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Why would people flame the group for not following the ridiculous, pathetic official localization? If anything, I would support people on Patreon who were willing to just retranslate the whole series and get rid of the Hamburguerization for good. I can even read Japanese, but the text of this series is just too hard to read... so yeah.

luyairis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

But if you can access HBL, then don't update! We intend on making this (at least eventually) compatible with HANS.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But if you can access HBL, then don't update! We intend on making this (at least eventually) compatible with HANS.
Currently 11.2 (latest fw) can access the homebrew launcher for free with soundhax. But definitely wait to update next time ninty releases an update.

Feroz El Mejor

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Spain
One of our coders has stated that the recent update on HANS should theoretically be already compatible with our patch.

jk Uwabami is a god and we have something that does exactly what's listed below.
We might also look into modifying the patcher that was used in our FE Division for DGS rom patching. (The patcher can generate both .3DS and .cia roms, provided an original rom, xorpads, and some other things).

Stay tuned!
I used my physical copy of Dai Gyakuten Saiban on Hans and it reboots the Homebrew Launcher. If anyone of your coders can give me that version of hans, I would really apreciate it! :bow:

L.Morningstar

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
T
There's a typo? [emoji33] We went through the script like a thousand times... Where is it?
Thank you for your great work!
Just in case, I found another small mistake, in court records the ballet article says novovic ballet.
Also, I don't know if Russian language is used on some level of the game, but I can assist with it.

luyairis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used my physical copy of Dai Gyakuten Saiban on Hans and it reboots the Homebrew Launcher. If anyone of your coders can give me that version of hans, I would really apreciate it! :bow:

This was bad wording on my part, sorry. What I meant was one of our coders said we should already be able to theoretically create a HANS patch. We haven't confirmed or tested this yet though.

Youabra

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thank you for your great work! I finished the demo a few hours ago. I was hoping to be a trial demo, but eh, i don't have a problem with this. It's like the Dual Destinies' and Spirit of Justice's demos. The developers just wanted to show what new things the game has, and that's it.
BTW, i recorded the demo, so if anyone wants to see it, here you go:

I will update the description with all about the translation post later. (don't worry, i won't post any download files)

Reactions: Fluto and Uwabami

Uwabami

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thank you for your great work! I finished the demo a few hours ago. I was hoping to be a trial demo, but eh, i don't have a problem with this. It's like the Dual Destinies' and Spirit of Justice's demos. The developers just wanted to show what new things the game has, and that's it.
BTW, i recorded the demo, so if anyone wants to see it, here you go:

I will update the description with all about the translation post later. (don't worry, i won't post any download files)

Our very own @meuol recorded it with a capture card already:

And we're not "the team in Gbatemp", but Team If's DGS Division :P

Youabra

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Our very own @meuol recorded it with a capture card already:

And we're not "the team in Gbatemp", but Team If's DGS Division :P

Oh, whoops. I forgot to edit that.
I put it as a placeholder since i was going to search your team's name after i finished writing the description, but i didn't double check it before saving it. I'll change it right now.

Manuel0

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I have a Japanese 3DS with the demo installed and HBL, but no CFW. Is there really no way for me to play the translated demo? :cry:
Would it be possible for you to release a patch for the demo?

Uwabami

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have a Japanese 3DS with the demo installed and HBL, but no CFW. Is there really no way for me to play the translated demo? :cry:
Would it be possible for you to release a patch for the demo?

Hm, that does require a few additional steps. Let me see if I can do something for you...

Last edited by Uwabami,
Reactions: Manuel0

Manuel0

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hm, the that does require a few additional steps. Let me see if I can do something for you...
Thank you so much, that would be amazing! :O

btw: I also have a EU 3DS, so getting the font file from the EU version of DD shouldn't be a problem!

Last edited by Manuel0,

Sketchy1

gbatemp's shadiest warez dealer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have to question-
Why don't translations ever get c&d, despite needing the same resources as a romhack like prism?

SoyAlexPop

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I have to question-
Why don't translations ever get c&d, despite needing the same resources as a romhack like prism?

Because translation usually don't have a website and treat the project like a huge new game, plus most of the time translation teams don't release the game with the patch, they just release the patch. However some fan translations like DQ7 received a C&D because SE was planning a release so it would interfere their sales, some companies are more forgiving with fan translation because they know fans won't be able to enjoy the game otherwise.

Last edited by SoyAlexPop,

Kamui

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Just finished playing it and it's BEAUTIFUL :wub:

Thank you for the little New Year surprise, looking forward for the full version!
Keep up the good work! :bow:

Reactions: Fluto

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Had a ton of bugs and often crashed. It even didn't support DOS compatibility with older games. :feelsbadman:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I only grew up with Windows XP because I was lucky.
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    I downloaded XP on dialup when it came out. Overnights for like a week. cuz I couldn't tie up the phone line during the day. It was so awesome and worked so great going from ME to XP.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vga pins were a dick
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I kind of want down a large pizza at 10am then crash out
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Having pizza all day? done it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah pizza hut open at 10:30
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    just buy a stack of pizza and keep the rest you don't need yet frozen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or buy frozen pizza
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I buy the regular kind, not the frozen stuff
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    supermarket pizza is ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
    i like totinos party pizzas. lol.
    the cracker-like crust is great on those
    My neighbor and I are going to make this next month....
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Tiger crust is great.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm beefing with a neighbor currently each time I ask him for help with something he makes bs excuses then ignores my calls text but seems to randomly speak when I'm done with the project after doing things to help him
    DiGiorno Crispy Pan Pizza tasted pretty dang close to Pizza hut pan pizza, but Im not sure if theyve been discontinued or not. Havent seen them locally for a couple of months now.
    The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.