ROM Hack [RELEASE][Conquest Story Overhaul] Fire Emblem Fates: Good Guy Garon Edition

AgahnimD

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fire Emblem Fates: Good Guy Garon Edition

To use this modification you will need to either have CFW and Luma3DS installed, or another method to modify the game's core files.

Introduction:
Like many people, I was disappointed in the narrative given in Fire Emblem Fates. For something that claimed to speak to the grey nature of war, there was very little substance given to the Nohrians. I expected an obvious Good vs Evil scenario between the kingdoms, but even when you choose to follow Nohr, no effort was made to make them sympathetic. The most egregious example of this is King Garon, who is just awfully written.

This Conquest route mod seeks to fix this by transforming the pivotal role of King Garon from a cartoonishly evil caricature into a King loyal to Nohr who is slowly losing his mind. Many interactions with the Hoshidan and Nohrian siblings were also altered to give the player character more of a voice and to flesh out the world. IMHO, these changes bring new life to the character's motivation in the Conquest path which are borne throughout to the very end of the game.

I tried to keep as much of the original text and lore as possible while incorporating the new material, however there may be a few areas where things conflict. Please understand.

What this does:
-Replaces the dialogue on the Prologue Chapters (1-5), including Chapter Summaries
-Replaces the dialogue on all chapters of the Conquest Route, including Chapter Summaries

What this does not do:
-This does not make any gameplay changes of any kind
-This does not make any changes to support conversations
-This does not make any changes to paralogue quests

Chapter Videos:

Overview of Changes (Mild Spoilers Within):
General:
  • Expanded upon the reasons for the war between the two kingdoms. Neither side is blameless, though both claim to be.
  • Shifted the central theme of the game to emphasize family and the sacrifices one would make for them.
  • Added weight and consequences to decisions made.
  • Removed or addressed various plotholes and idiot-ball moments.
  • Provided a conclusive and satisfying ending to the route, making it its own stand alone game.
  • No longer is a vessel at the start of the game, but is slowly being overwhelmed.
  • Acts as the stern but fair ruler of Nohr mentioned in supports.
  • Relationship with Corrin serves as the catalyst to the events in the second half of the game.
  • Takes a more active role in the decisions made and suffers the consequences as a result.
  • Grows into maturity over the course of the game.
  • Is sometimes clever, is FAR less passive, and is 70% less whiny.
  • Takes a more supportive role and serves as a companion, not an instructor, to the player character.
  • Several key decisions were transferred to Corrin to make them more of a leader.
  • No longer a master of disguise.
  • Xander's out of character actions were changed to be more in-line with his support self.
  • No longer blind to the changes in Garon.
  • Small bits of backstory added to enhance the character.
  • Backstory added to flesh out the character.
  • More maternal and supportive lines added to enhance the character.
  • Lines were added to highlight him being the forgotten child.
  • Lines were added within character.
  • Is more savvy during encounters with Corrin.
  • Events in the later chapters are given depth and substance.
  • Now less of a joke in later chapters.
MAJOR SPOILERS
  • Plays an active and visible role over the course of the game.

Download: (ENG Updated 9/8/18)
Due to differences in the pathway and character limit between the English and Japanese version of the game, you will need to select the version that corresponds to yours. Please note the JPN version still uses the English names and has textual errors in the chapter summaries due to how it handles pronouns. Also please be aware that this works best on a vanilla game, as it will conflict with any other mods which modify the GameData.bin.lz, GameMap.bin.lz, and chapter files.

English version is here.
Japanese version is here.

Installation: (via Luma LayeredFS)
To Install:
Boot up your 3DS Luma’s config menu by holding the SELECT button.
Turn on “Enable Game Patching”
On your 3DS SD card go to “Lumas” folder.
Create a folder called “titles” if there isn’t one
Create a folder with the title of your specific game. For instance, the title for USA FE Fates Special Edition is 0004000000179800.
Unzip FatesGGG into that folder. You’re done!

Update History:
  • Main menu will now display GGG and version number upon proper installation.
  • Reintroduced the EM Dash to the English Version instead of hyphens.
  • Various typos and grammatical errors fixed.
  • Minor wording changes/additions were made to enhance various characters.
  • Minor changes made in wording to enhance conversation flow. Multiple Chapters.
  • Corrected a misgendered reference. Thanks, Wijetron!
  • Corrected several spacing issues and typos. Multiple Chapters.
  • Corrected a misgendered reference for F!Corrin. Chapter 1. Thanks, Kawakammunism!
  • Fixed several typos and re-worded a few items to help conversation flow. Multiple chapters.
  • Fixed a bug that caused the game to skip a line during the epilogue. Chapter 28.
  • Added reference to Concubine War, Camilla backstory. Chapter 15.
  • Added line to the Vallite Crystal scene. Chapter 15.
  • Fixed a reference to Ryoma's JPN name. Chapter 10. Thanks, Samsonb79!
  • Various pronoun, grammar, and typo fixes. Multiple Chapters.
  • Initial Release

Special Thanks:
SecretiveCactus for their Fire Emblem Conversation Editor
thane98 for their Fire Emblem Fate’s Editor
DeathChaos25 for their Fates ROM Hacking General Thread

Last edited by AgahnimD,

Samsonb79

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not bad, I think I feel motivated to replay conquest with this.

(also by any chance did you try to patch up the plot holes in chapter 15? I won't hold anything against you if you didn't, but it definitely sounds like a challenge to fill or eliminate the plot holes when the chapters very existence is a plothole.)

AgahnimD

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not bad, I think I feel motivated to replay conquest with this.

(also by any chance did you try to patch up the plot holes in chapter 15? I won't hold anything against you if you didn't, but it definitely sounds like a challenge to fill or eliminate the plot holes when the chapters very existence is a plothole.)

Do you mean the whole "can't mention the invisible kingdom or else you're cursed" bit? Or the crystal? Both were left in but had a few lines added to support the decision not to tell anyone.

Marth?

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yessss, I have been waiting for someone to finally do this! Would Garon's character be overhauled in the future for Birthright and Revelations too?

AgahnimD

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've noticed a few spelling and grammatical errors which I've fixed, however there is a very minor bug in the game's ending which skips a few lines. This happens when the subchapter is too long, so I'll be fixing that with a re-write. I also have a small addition in the works to touch upon the Concubine Wars, which will give at least SOME background to Camilla's doting behavior. I'm all over Fire Emblem Warriors right now though, so it might be a week before I get the next patch up.

Yessss, I have been waiting for someone to finally do this! Would Garon's character be overhauled in the future for Birthright and Revelations too?

Eventually I'll go back and make some changes to the Birthright and Revelations route in keeping with the new story, although the changes will be very minor for Garon since his story is in Conquest. I'll definitely be making some changes to Xander's chapter in BR to fix his motivation, however. Stay tuned!

Samsonb79

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've noticed a few spelling and grammatical errors which I've fixed, however there is a very minor bug in the game's ending which skips a few lines. This happens when the subchapter is too long, so I'll be fixing that with a re-write. I also have a small addition in the works to touch upon the Concubine Wars, which will give at least SOME background to Camilla's doting behavior. I'm all over Fire Emblem Warriors right now though, so it might be a week before I get the next patch up.

Eventually I'll go back and make some changes to the Birthright and Revelations route in keeping with the new story, although the changes will be very minor for Garon since his story is in Conquest. I'll definitely be making some changes to Xander's chapter in BR to fix his motivation, however. Stay tuned!

Don't know if you caught these, but in chapter 10 takumi vs azura you used ryomas japanese name "ryouma" instead of "ryoma", and in chapter 12 laslow says "it will be all might." instead of "it will be all right." I'll let you know if I find anything else

Last edited by Samsonb79,
Reactions: AgahnimD

AgahnimD

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't know if you caught these, but in chapter 10 takumi vs azura you used ryomas japanese name "ryouma" instead of "ryoma", and in chapter 12 laslow says "it will be all might." instead of "it will be all right." I'll let you know if I find anything else
Great catch on Ryouma, thank you! All fixed now. As for all might, that's actually a silly easter egg reference to a Boku no Hero Academia character, All Might, who has a similar perspective on smiling as Laslow.

Please let me know if you find any other typos!

miririhen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This looks super promising! I have a question though - I want to combine this with the Same Sex Supports patch, but both patches have a m/@e/GameData.bin.lz file. Would I have to do some editing to consolidate the two, or are they the same file? Since this patch doesn't touch supports I'm hoping they can be combined, but I understand if it's not possible.

EDIT - just noticed the warning in the download section, d'oh. I'll just save the patches for separate runs, then.

Last edited by miririhen,

Samsonb79

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This looks super promising! I have a question though - I want to combine this with the Same Sex Supports patch, but both patches have a m/@e/GameData.bin.lz file. Would I have to do some editing to consolidate the two, or are they the same file? Since this patch doesn't touch supports I'm hoping they can be combined, but I understand if it's not possible.

EDIT - just noticed the warning in the download section, d'oh. I'll just save the patches for separate runs, then.

Taking a look at the file you mentioned it seems like it contains a text file that contains various pointers to character, class, skill, and chapter names/descriptions. Unless they decided to add in new characters or something, the difference will probably just be cosmetic. Then again, I'm not using any other patches that use that file so I can't say for sure.

TomboyGamerXL

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I'm using both hacks and they work fine together. It doesn't seem like they affect the same files.

AgahnimD

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've never played with the GayFates hack so I'm not sure how switching the GameData will affect things. I only made minor changes to both GameData and GameMap files, which enhanced the flavor of the mod. The GameData file affects the chapter names, and the GameMap file affects the chapter summaries. Both are cosmetic and can be skipped, however it will be at odds with what is actually happening in game.

Feedback is always welcome! If you're going through as F!Corrin, please let me know if you come across any misgendered pronouns or soundfiles. I've done another sweep but there might still be a few items I missed.

I'll have an updated patch out when I get back from work tonight, which will include some Camilla backstory (concubine war stuff) as well as some minor bug fixes. I'll also be updating the OP with a more specific changelog soon.

AgahnimD

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Chapter videos have been added! You can see a general list of changes made for each chapter on the youtube page.

Kawakammunism

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I'm playing as female Corrin, and in the end of chapter 1, Garon says "EVEN MY OWN SON", instead of daughter. Furthermore, Xander says "One day your niavete will get someone killed. It should be "naiveté". I'll post updates if I find any similar mishaps in the script. I'm really enjoying the changes thus far.

Last edited by Kawakammunism,
Reactions: AgahnimD

AgahnimD

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I'm playing as female Corrin, and in the end of chapter 1, Garon says "EVEN MY OWN SON", instead of daughter. Furthermore, Xander says "One day your niavete will get someone killed. It should be "naiveté". I'll post updates if I find any similar mishaps in the script. I'm really enjoying the changes thus far.

Great find, thank you! I've updated the patch with those fixes as well as a few other minor items. Please let me know if you find anything else!

AgahnimD

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Patch has been updated to address a few spacing issues with the Camilla backstory and a few typos. I've also changed the OP to add the new Conquest:GGG Trailer! Take a look!

The Iron Rose

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Out of curiosity, since I intend to use this with the Gay Fates hack, what are the changed chapter titles versus the regular ones?

AgahnimD

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Out of curiosity, since I intend to use this with the Gay Fates hack, what are the changed chapter titles versus the regular ones?
Good question! The changed chapters are:
Chapter 23-Takumi
Chapter 29-Father
Endgame-Hold Back The Night

The more significant changes are in the GameMap which includes modified chapter summaries. Without it the events that occur will be incongruent with the summary text, however it's not too immersion breaking.

Reactions: Momo333

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: 10 tabs open on chrome and no slow downs suck it low ram ple bs lol