Homebrew [No Longer Working] Community freeShop fork - open source eShop alternative

DocKlokMan

Plugin Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Soooooooo..... besides theming, anyone else have any feature requests? The title key site has an RSS feed, maybe we can get that implemented so that we can see what the newest additions were. I typically filter out out of region content but sometimes like to know when a popular game gets uploaded to a different region without needing to change my filters.

Or how about a date showing when the cache was last updated? A lot of people keep asking what other people see in their games list because they're unsure if their cache stopped updating or if there's just been no new games added.

Luglige

hiatus
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Soooooooo..... besides theming, anyone else have any feature requests? The title key site has an RSS feed, maybe we can get that implemented so that we can see what the newest additions were. I typically filter out out of region content but sometimes like to know when a popular game gets uploaded to a different region without needing to change my filters.

Or how about a date showing when the cache was last updated? A lot of people keep asking what other people see in their games list because they're unsure if their cache stopped updating or if there's just been no new games added.
do you run the title key site?

Reactions: OrGoN3

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Do you know how frustrating this is to end-users? Everyone I have ever installed freeShop for, I now have to walk them through the "manual update" steps. People shouldn't take on projects they have no intention of maintaining. (Hopefully Paul will keep FreeShop alive for quite some time)

Ev1l0rd

(⌐◥▶◀◤) girl - noirscape
Trophies
Website
catgirlsin.space
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hey a new thread. Nice :)

Just for the record and so everyone knows: Cache updates are fully automated on Monday, Wednesday and Saturday 00:00 UTC+1 (maybe UTC+2 in the summer due to DST). A new cache may not neccesarily contain new data though.

Do you know how frustrating this is to end-users? Everyone I have ever installed freeShop for, I now have to walk them through the "manual update" steps. People shouldn't take on projects they have no intention of maintaining. (Hopefully Paul will keep FreeShop alive for quite some time)

AFAIK arc13 only stepped down because life was getting too much in the way. Not because he didn't want to develop it anymore.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
Imo it doesn't need to be picked up again in the first place.
Arc13's work was great but he added all the useful features. Imo there's literally nothing that can be added that isn't a novelty.
I don't really understand why "altcache" wasn't just submitted as a PR. That's really the only new feature, and it wasn't really necessary to fork the entire project just for that.

This is the wrong thread to discuss this kthx bai
Let it rest Joom.
If it's gonna be brought up then at least give the proper information in the first place if you don't want people rebutting what you said. *shrug*

Ev1l0rd

(⌐◥▶◀◤) girl - noirscape
Trophies
Website
catgirlsin.space
XP
Country
Netherlands
I don't really understand why "altcache" wasn't just submitted as a PR. That's really the only new feature, and it wasn't really necessary to fork the entire project just for that.
Arc fully left the homebrew scene before I managed to automate altCache and wanted to include it in freeShop proper; Any PR would likely just have fallen on deaf ears.

Reactions: Joom

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd argue that age directly correlates to maturity; which in turn, correlates to integrity. Not to say the OP is in fact non trust worthy only that children (yes he is a child) usually make very selfish, impulsive decisions. I don't know the OP but I do know pre-teens and quite a few are immature enough to make immoral decisions especially with the assumed anonymity of online forums. Common sense says no child (almost beyond the long reach of the law) would care too much about stealing private info, getting people banned for kicks or you know stealing exploits and selling them for profit. In my personal opinion trust should be earned, not given especially when people have "history" of not being entirely honest. Yes, they may be talented but that's no reason to turn a blind eye because "they deserve a chance".

I swear I could make a new account and post a [RELEASE] page and claim it's the most amazing program but really it's a bootworm virus, and half of you would install it without thinking twice because you think you need it. #Bricked. All because I was a bored 13 year old with some coding experience and friends to entertain.
Why bring age into this?

YTElias

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
VljLxOM.png

View attachment 97734
Paul's freeShop releases website
Official freeShop Discord server (thanks @Dionicio3)

Paul's freeShop source code
Thanks to the people on this list

Latest nightly of freeShop (thanks @scj643)
This homebrew software, originally coded by TheCruel, allows you to download software you own via an encTitleKey.bin file.

How to use it:
1/ Install the latest version of this software (Download link above) on your preferred CFW.
2/ Put an URL linking to the encTitleKey.bin file on the freeShop's Settings > Update > Auto-update title keys from URL.
3/ You can now use freeShop, enjoy !

FAQs
Q: Why is Paul not making this thread?
A: He doesn't like making threads, so he asked me.

Q: Do I need a CFW for this?
A: Yes.

Q: Is there a 3dsx version?

A: Yes, however the cia version is recommended, because the 3dsx can have features missing and bugs.

Q: Why are games missing? They're on the eShop.

A: It only shows games for which you have the title key (dumped to encTitleKeys.bin). And even then some games won't show because they're not cached server-side (this will eventually change).

Q: Why does freeShop show DLC as installed when I don't have it?

A: All DLC is lumped together with the same title id, so even partial installs will show it as installed. If you're missing DLC, just delete it and reinstall it. If eShop partially installed it, or you previously purchased some DLC through eShop on that console, you may lose the DLC freeShop installs when you revisit eShop. This is currently unavoidable.

Q: Can freeShop download while sleeping?
A: Yes, please read the instructions.

Q: Can I download games of any region?
A: Depends on your CFW. Most of them allow it, including the popular Luma3DS.

Q: Is this safe? Will I get banned/sued for using this?
A: Even modding your console's software/firmware runs legal risks. But like running freeShop, the risk is minimal. If you make sure to only install games you've purchased, then you remain in a safer legal grey area. And there is no way for Nintendo to know which client IP owns which games. That would requires some analytic guesswork, potentially resulting in many false-positive bans. Not likely to happen and none have been reported.

Q: Why did you do a fork?
A: Because I can. Because TheCruel can't, for some reasons, update it anymore.

Q: Why starting a new thread?

A: The original was... polluted with *what happened to TheCruel*, starting at page 300, and some users requested to open a new thread.

Q: OMG, I know what happened to him, I will say it on this thread!!!!

A: Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo, this thread is for talking about my fork of freeShop, and the Original freeShop, not about what TheCruel did, that's how the original thread went into a complete disaster. If you want to know what happened and discuss about it, do it here:
http://gbatemp.net/threads/former-g...ected-pedophile-gets-20-year-sentence.468679/

Q: How to I update to this version?
A: Simply scan new QR Code with FBI

Q: How to dump my encTitleKey.bin file?
- First, you'll need to install and launch GodMode9:
- If you followed 3ds.guide, you should already have GodMode9, simply hold the START Button and select GodMode9 if asked.
- When GodMode9 is started, press the HOME Button
- Select the "More..." option
- Select the "Build support files" option
- Press the A button
- Press 2x the B button
- Select the "[0:] SDCARD" option
- Go to the "gm9out" folder
- Hover the "encTitleKeys.bin" file
- Press the Y Button
- Press the B Button
- Go to the "3ds" folder, "freeShop" folder, and then keys folder
- Press the Y Button and then the A Button to paste your "encTitleKeys.bin" file

Q: Why don't I have any friends?
A: You should get out more.

Troubleshooting

I keep getting "Failed to install seed" errors.

You likely have a FW version < 9.6 and therefore cannot play newer games that utilize crypto seeds. You can fix this with a FW update.

I keep getting "Wrong title key" errors.

You're probably not using correct encrypted keys (encTitleKeys.bin). Decrypted keys will give this error.

I keep getting "Failed to finalize TMD install: 0xC86044D2".

The system is reporting that you don't have enough space on your SD card to install the game. If it's a DSiWare game, then it's your NAND that doesn't have the space.

I keep getting "Failed to finalize content install: 0xD8E08025".
There are many possible reasons for this. But one known diagnosis is a possible SD card problem. For example, a fake SD card who is reporting space available while it's actually full will often give this error. Double-check your SD card.

I get error code 0xD8A08004

This happens with the installation state gets screwed up. You have to reboot the console to get rid of it. If you consistently get this, report how so the bug can be fixed.

Some games icons are missing/glitched
Refresh your cache via the freeShop's settings > Update > Refresh Cache button.

I keep getting Ticket Error with all games I want to download
Install and launch tikSweep, then reboot your console, this may fix your problem.

I don't get any sound when I'm on the freeShop
Please dump your DSP and launch the eShop.

My question is not listed here
Ask here

Thanks to the users of this fork, TheCruel did a fantastic job for this software, the code is very understandable and clean.
Please feedback any feature that you want, or report any bug there.

Related:
[FAQ] Is freeShop legal? (thanks Lilith Valentine)
Theming guide for freeShop

Timmy Companion - Easy Texts.json modifier for theme makers
Sapphire - freeShop sysmodule to blink LED when sleep download finishes

Please don't talk about TheCruel here !
can someone explain why is there a .3dsx version?

Ev1l0rd

(⌐◥▶◀◤) girl - noirscape
Trophies
Website
catgirlsin.space
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'd argue that age directly correlates to maturity; which in turn, correlates to integrity. Not to say the OP is in fact non trust worthy only that children (yes he is a child) usually make very selfish, impulsive decisions. I don't know the OP but I do know pre-teens and quite a few are immature enough to make immoral decisions especially with the assumed anonymity of online forums. Common sense says no child (almost beyond the long reach of the law) would care too much about stealing private info, getting people banned for kicks or you know stealing exploits and selling them for profit. In my personal opinion trust should be earned, not given especially when people have "history" of not being entirely honest. Yes, they may be talented but that's no reason to turn a blind eye because "they deserve a chance".

I swear I could make a new account and post a [RELEASE] page and claim it's the most amazing program but really it's a bootworm virus, and half of you would install it without thinking twice because you think you need it. #Bricked. All because I was a bored 13 year old with some coding experience and friends to entertain.
You do realize that like y'know... Paul is actually trusted by arc13. Like arc trusts Paul, and so did a couple of well popular other developers in the Homebrew scene. I know that a lot of people don't trust Paul over all this drama, but I'd just like to remind everyone that the UnbanMii drama was made out of honest mistakes. As in, not solely Paul who thought it was a good idea. And more importantly, when they got told it was a stupid mistake, they immediately did everything they could to rectify these mistakes: Taking down the tool, removing the stored server data and (I believe this is the most important) they ACTUALLY worked on fixing the stupidity for a newer version.

I agree that trust should be earned back if it has been broken, but the effort Paul (and the rest of the UnbanMii devs) have put into rectifying their mistakes is more than I have seen from many others, both IRL and online. "Sorry" isn't a cop-out, that I agree with. But the UnbanMii team put their money where their mouth is and as a result I regained said trust in these developers. Mistakes happen all the time. Not letting go when people atone for them is just petty. Especially in cases like this, where the worst that could really have happened is that someone poses as you on the Nintendo Network. Like... really. What would they (Nintendo) do? All they (Nintendo) do would be to ban your device, which would have happened anyway at some point if you used UnbanMii. It's not a truly terrible crime. Move the fuck on.

Also comparing Paul to PokeAcer is just dickish and incorrect in every sense of the word. The former made a stupid mistake and learned from it, the latter actively harmed the Homebrew commmunity just so he could get a macbook.

can someone explain why is there a .3dsx version?
For rosalina. Some people think they won't get banned if they use 3dsx apps instead.

Reactions: Borjitasstoi

YTElias

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
For people that would rather keep homebrew cias to a minimum, or prefer the hbmenu.
but by me its just sayed
it lets me to home menu and say an error has accured

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

For rosalina. Some people think they won't get banned if they use 3dsx apps instead.
oh ok

Reactions: Ev1l0rd

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr