Homebrew [Release] Colossal Cave Adventure 2.5 for 3ds

nop90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
This is a little port I made in the week end for having some relax after months of hard work and no time for coding.

There isn't too much to say about Adventure: If you know it, you like. I f you don't know it, probably you won't like it.

From Wikipedia:
Colossal Cave Adventure (also known as ADVENT, Colossal Cave, or Adventure) is a text adventure game, developed originally in 1976, by Will Crowther for the PDP-10 mainframe. The game was expanded upon in 1977, with help from Don Woods, and other programmers created variations on the game and ports to other systems in the following years.

In the game, the player controls a character through simple text commands to explore a cave rumored to be filled with wealth. Players earn predetermined points for acquiring treasure and escaping the cave alive, with the goal to earn the maximum number of points offered. The concept bore out from Crowther's background as a caving enthusiast, with the game's cave structured loosely around the Mammoth Cave system in Kentucky.

Colossal Cave Adventure is the first known work of interactive fiction and, as the first text adventure game, is considered the precursor for the adventure game genre. Colossal Cave Adventure also contributed towards the role playing and roguelike genres.

V1.0 (19/02/2018)
- First release

V1.1 (22/02/2018)
- Added coll pause after a page of text (press A to continua)
- Changed text color to green
- Added possibility to swap color to white with R+UP
- Added possibility to swap again color to green with R+DOWN
- Started formatting textes to the narrow 3ds screen
- Starting the game with R pressed, forces an update of the game data on SD (needed to load the new formatted textes)

NOTES for the 3ds release:

Running the game on Citra, saving a game fails and exiting the program hangs citra, but on a real 3ds everything works fine.

The game is released only in 3dsx format because there are some things to test (and probably fix) in the CIA.

For the text input I used an old project of mine for a 3ds sw keyboard from 2014.

Sources and releases on my githib (https://github.com/nop90/Colossal-Cave-Adventure-2.5-for-3ds)

Happy exploring the cave!

screen.png

cave-map.jpg

Last edited by nop90,

MrHuu

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Thanks for porting this, it's great to have some old / rare titles available on the 3ds.

I've played a few text adventures way back, looking forward to try this one.

nop90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Thanks for porting this, it's great to have some old / rare titles available on the 3ds.

I've played a few text adventures way back, looking forward to try this one.
Wait a little more.

I already added a scolling pause for text longer than a page an used green color for the font (IMHO more readable and very retro).

Probably tonight I'll add a key combination to change text color to white.

Other than this, I'm editing the data file of the game toa void carriage returns in the middle of the screen. But this i very time consuming becouse there are hundreds of line to edit.

If I have time to port ncurses lib to 3ds, I'd like to port umoria and frotz too. GBA a DS have a lot of text games, and 3ds needs to fill the gap.

Reactions: MrHuu

nop90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
v1.1 Released

Only a little part of the text is formatted to the 3ds screen size, but it's not a big problem.

Paging pause is very usefull for long description, and text is now in green color (Hold R and press UP to change color to white. Hold R and press DOWN to return to green)

Game data is cached on the SD, start the game holding R to update the cache with the new (partially for now) formatted text.

I'll continue formatting the text, but slowly.

nop90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Nice! It's like Zork, isn't it?

Zork is like this. Adventure was the first one ever coded.
Cia please.

I hope to have time in the weekend. At the moment I'm porting the Retrogutu engine to Switch (first title could be Fruity) and @Kojote is making a lot of pressure on me to release something soon

Last edited by nop90,

TheTrueDream42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This looks awesome! What other features do you have in mind to add to this?

Edit: and I assume the 2.5 means that the text on the top screen is in 3D too?

Last edited by TheTrueDream42,

BadWrongFun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Xyzzy!

This is actually making me really wanna see a Z-machine interpreter so we can play near any text adventure on the 3DS.

But thanks a lot for giving us this one. It's been a while since I played it and it giving a try again during a long car ride will be lovely.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We just question @AncientBoi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.