Relationship advice from the internet, please!

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Wellington2k, Dec 13, 2015.

1. Wellington2k
    OP

Wellington2k DO YOU HAS?

Nov 1, 2010
    United States
    Somewhere in this world of ours
    EDIT: Just got back from going on a date with her. Thanks for all the advice everyone here!! :lol:

So, this is probably not going to work, but please try to give actual advice that pertains to the situation at hand. Thanks. :yay:

First off, I've never been in a relationship with anyone due to a series of unfortunate events in Middle School and High School, so I'm a little... unknowledgeable in the relationship scene.

Anyway, so (as the story goes), I met this girl about a month ago, and we've been hanging out a lot with a small group of 4 people. I like her as she has a great personality that I haven't really seen before, and, of course, I think she's pretty cute. :blush:

Anywho, just my luck, she already likes someone. We talk about him some when we're together, but they aren't actually in a relationship together. Compared to other people I've seen her hang out with, she treats me differently (at least to me, and I could be wrong). Good sign, right? ^_^

Well, she also sees me as a bro. So, whoopty-do there.

So, here's where I need the advice:
    I'd like to let her know (or give her the inclination) that I like her, but I really don't want to ruin what she has going with the other guy she likes. I care about her too much. Plus, that would dramatically shift our friendship if I just blatantly tell her.

I think that I should just wait and see what happens and just keep being a good friend... hoping that the other guy just happens to not be for her (in which case I would tell her how I feel).
    Do you think that's a good plan?

Last edited by Wellington2k, Jan 27, 2016
    lampdemon likes this.

2. dragonmaster

dragonmaster THE WALKER

Sep 9, 2005
    Greece
    IN one word no , i ve happened to be one of the cool guys with many girls in my company in university and many frieds having feelings but not letting them know and at the end loosing them. just say what you feel and be clear they cant sense you if you dont talk ,you may loose them but it is better than believing in a false dream

3. Wellington2k
    OP

Wellington2k DO YOU HAS?

Nov 1, 2010
    United States
    See, I would agree with that, except that I know for a fact that she likes someone else. Saying how I feel now pretty much is a 99% failure. And if it fails, then I have only a short time of friendship as a safety net, and I don't think a month is enough to hold this friendship up after something like that.

4. Jack_Sparrow

Jack_Sparrow Ruthless Pirate

Banned
    Nov 17, 2015
    United States
    The Black Pearl
    I'm in school right now, and like three girls have asked me to go out with them in like the past week.
    I said no to all of them

Ace001 likes this.
  5. Wellington2k
    OP

Wellington2k DO YOU HAS?

Nov 1, 2010
    United States
    ...thank you for letting me know? That's not really advice, though.

lampdemon, frogboy and Jakic007 like this.
  6. Jack_Sparrow

Banned
    Nov 17, 2015
    United States
    The Black Pearl
    Lol sorry

7. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein Professional asshole at GBATemp

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    I think he meant he was waiting for you. At least turn him down the right way.

8. Wellington2k
    OP

Wellington2k DO YOU HAS?

Nov 1, 2010
    United States
    Ah, sorry @Jack_Sparrow I'm just really stressed out with finals right and didn't think straight.

TeamScriptKiddies likes this.
  9. Jack_Sparrow

Banned
    Nov 17, 2015
    United States
    The Black Pearl
    It's cool man

Wellington2k likes this.
  10. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Yes, I do. Think of it this way; if they fall out, then you have a chance with her and you will have learned a lot about her in the meantime. If they really hit it off and have a lifelong relationship, then you have potentially gained a great friend who has found somebody that she is truly happy with. Either way you "win", you just don't get the girl in one situation

Wellington2k likes this.
  11. Santaros

Santaros GBAtemp Regular

Oct 5, 2013
    Honestly people decide pretty quickly whether they are interested or not and it sounds like you've been friend-zoned. I hate to say it but Dragon is probably right on this one, tell her how you feel and see what happens this may mean having to stop talking to her, or accept that your chances are poor, friends is as far as it's likely to go & invest yourself less. Ask yourself if standing on the sidelines getting butthurt over things beyond your control is a position you really want to be in.

lampdemon, cvskid and tofast4u like this.
  12. cvskid

cvskid GBAtemp Addict

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    If there is no wedding ring on her finger then it's fair game. :tpi:

Ace001 and Jack_Sparrow like this.
  13. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    Well you've got two options and neither is a 100% win.

You ask her out and hope she accepts, or
    You accept being friends and let her probably be snatched up by the other dude or someone else.

Asking her out is a lot better than just throwing down your feelings. It's still possible to keep a friendship after that if you can accept the rejection. Most of the time.
    Playing the waiting game doesn't really do you any favours in terms of actually getting her as your girl.

14. tofast4u

tofast4u GBAtemp Fan

Dec 2, 2012
    United States
    Forget about her, if she's talking to you about another guy she clearly has no interests for you and won't develop interests for you. If you keep going and try to get with her she might find it annoying and push you aside. You can't tell her that you like her unless you know she likes you back, which clearly she doesn't so if you do tell her that she'll disappear the next second as well.
    The best you can do is stop being her friend if you have feelings for her because that's just unhealthy, and move on to find another girl.

cvskid likes this.
  15. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    That's not necessarily true, girls are weird about who they'll talk about and with who.

@Wellington2k On that tangent, you should actually probably be getting advice from an actual female lol. Try talking to other friends or see if someone graces this thread

@starly, maybe you could come out of the woodwork for a bit and help him?

16. Seita

Seita GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 4, 2015
    The worst thing is when a girl zone-friends you and you want more. It's better to say what you feel clearly and if she doesn't respond positively, just move on without second thought. I know it's harder being said than done but you never wanna fall in the unrequited love or friend zone. It's the worst for you.
    There are more girls waiting for you out there. The thing is, they are almost always waiting for you to take the initiative and read their signs. Girls are more likely to give hints than say things straightforward.
    Good luck ;)

cvskid likes this.
  17. starly

starly Member

Newcomer
    Oct 26, 2015
    United States
    oh boy actual female here who is currently in a relationship after 3 long years of being the "other girl"
    lemme tell you that yes, girls can like 2 guys at one time and show a preference, but that doesn't always mean that the other person doesn't have a chance
    the best way (in my opinion) is to be there for her, continue talking to her about the other guy if she wants, help her through it and maybe help her sort out her feelings. taking time is not alway a bad thing, I was kinda in this exact situation (my current boyfriend went to me for his past relationship problems)
    no matter what it's not going to be for sure, and even if things don't pan out being friends with a wonderful girl is still pretty great

i suppose i could elaborate if there were any new developments

TotalInsanity4 and Wellington2k like this.
  18. cvskid

cvskid GBAtemp Addict

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Maybe it's just me, but why would a guy want to sit with a girl he likes, just to hear her talk about another guy right in front of his face?

19. TheKawaiiDesu

TheKawaiiDesu Ball of Kawaiiness

Aug 23, 2015
    Korea, North
    Lowee
    SuperScore29 likes this.
  20. starly

starly Member

Newcomer
    Oct 26, 2015
    United States
    @cvskid because life isn't always fair and romantic relationships aren't always end game and the most important? Friendships are important too, even if you happen to like them