• Likes 35
Status
Not open for further replies.

Priyam

Trophies
XP
Country
India
I wonder what are the new features apart from backup loading. Maybe overclocking or docked clocks in handheld mode?

tecfreak

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
emunand isnt any safer than sysnand. because its just a copy of your nand.
It is more how you use it which reduces the risk of getting banned.

Having one copy of the OS for the "legal" stuff with the ability of using nintendos online services and preferably being installed on it's original storage device (the sysNAND) and an other copy of the OS with patches applied and maybe some potentially risky and dangerous logs that may occur if you use homebrew stuff, but again where we don't have to care about because we stay offline with this copy, this is in my opinion the best solution if you have something like FG as an entry point and for the average user who only owns one console but wants to switch between the legal and the hacky stuff with as little risk as possible of getting banned. The only thing that you have to sacrifice is the untethered coldboot, but even then, there are still solutions for that like an internal modchip that may be technically still an tethered coldboot, but from the users perspective it is actually an untethered one.

Last edited by tecfreak,

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
given that people have been hacking away on offline sysNANDs and then restoring older NANDs and going online again without getting banned (i'm one of them), i'm relatively certain that it's safe.
However that is quite a HUGE hassle to do everytime while with emunand we can just simply remove the emunand M-SD and turn the console ON normally all will be clean and running all original, if nothing was ever hacked or tested on sysnand most likely it will be pretty safe as with emunand you can simply hack everything offline and corrupt it all the way its always a safe environment and all logs, data, profile data, saves and every crap will be inside the M-SD which after removing everything gets completely cleaned again unless the console would have some kind of coldboot or warmboot exploit patched into the nand, then wouldnt ever be 100% cleaned.

tecfreak

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Maybe overclocking or docked clocks in handheld mode?
Where minor overclocking in docked mode technically could work without a excessive power draw, provided that the multipliers aren't locked, docked clocks in handheld mode would probably destroy your battery.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that's why you have powerbanks with 20+Amps capable of powering full switch+dock+joy-cons and even play while charging everything while still having quite a lot of hours even if it was using docked clocks...

But thats a thing for the future only, I would prefer that he could work on having clocks+temps telemetry, now that would be awesome and is the 2nd biggest feature I want after a backup loader :)

sinkillerj

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
However that is quite a HUGE hassle to do everytime while with emunand we can just simply remove the emunand M-SD and turn the console ON normally all will be clean and running all original, if nothing was ever hacked or tested on sysnand most likely it will be pretty safe as with emunand you can simply hack everything offline and corrupt it all the way its always a safe environment and all logs, data, profile data, saves and every crap will be inside the M-SD which after removing everything gets completely cleaned again unless the console would have some kind of coldboot or warmboot exploit patched into the nand, then wouldnt ever be 100% cleaned.

This was my plan with my untouched Switch. Guess we are back to the waiting for Atmosphere game if Rei cant save us ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Wierd_w

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that's why you have powerbanks with 20+Amps capable of powering full switch+dock+joy-cons and even play while charging everything while still having quite a lot of hours even if it was using docked clocks...

But thats a thing for the future only, I would prefer that he could work on having clocks+temps telemetry, now that would be awesome and is the 2nd biggest feature I want after a backup loader :)

Getting at the Tegra's sensors would be a neat feature, I will grant that. Correct me if I am mistaken, but the Tegra SoC contains a magnetometer as well as a multi-axis accelerometer. That means it could in theory present some new homebrew APIs for accessing those sensors, in addition to the temperature sensor.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
This is kind of what I was trying to go to when I said that even emunand is not completely safe, even if only handled offline.
Who's not to say Nintendo somehow stores information in some other partition/chip that is not the eMMC?
That's why I think emunand is a huge waste of time, at least in my opinion.

Wierd_w

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is kind of what I was trying to go to when I said that even emunand is not completely safe, even if only handled offline.
Who's not to say Nintendo somehow stores information in some other partition/chip that is not the eMMC?

EmuNAND is useful for at least two demographics of people.

1) People with a sysnand that is VERY low (like 1.0 early adopters, who want to keep the sysnand that low for exploit reasons), who want to play modern titles.
2) People who want to experiment "aggressively" with the console's file system, but who dont want to risk bricking the console. (Aggressive savedgame editors, people trying crazy-wild shit with layered FS, etc.)

People who want to keep a clean sysnand for any online stuff, and an emunand for more questionable activities-- it's about like using a condom. Not 100% effective, but that does not mean it is useless.

While outside the scope of ReiSwitched, I would *LOVE* to see a microSD to eMMC converter board for use inside the Switch. (Instead of an eMMC chip, it accepts a microSD card, and presents the signal interface to the switch that the switch expects.) One could then put a much larger storage device into the NX.

If you combine that with item #2 in the list above (Hardcore filesystem structure hacking in a safe sandbox), development for supporting such larger storage could be accomplished.

Last edited by Wierd_w,
Reactions: AlexMCS and M7L7NK7

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SciresM is probably tired of debugging and decrypting he probably knows what he is doing...

I'm thinking is only if Nintendo somehow get a way to log RCM data, then atmosphere would never be safe, but then again nothing would too and would require spoofing some clean logs.

But anyway I'm not even interested in going online, I want is to just never update my sysnand like my 3DS is in a very old FW, then I like to test loads of crap and be able to always stay on latest FW.

I'm also very interested in nightly build tests from the community which to my eyes after atmosphere is finished fully released I'm thinking why would not be there someone making nightly builds fixing bugs and adding new stuff all the time...

I like that if it messes up I dont have to do a lot of steps to fix the nand, instead I can just make a fresh emunand and it will also save nand chip for quite some times as nothing will be writing in it.

PS: I would only not care that much or at all for emunand if there was cheap 128GB+ nand+board replacements that we could simply buy on ebay and snap-in, that would be PWND :)

PsychoRabbit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Not 100% effective, but that does not mean it is useless.
This.
I don't know why people say it's useless, overrated or waste of time on implement an emunand. We still don't know what method is used by nintendo to ban, and most of the banned users were because the use of layeredfs.
Having a clean sysnand and a cfw/hen/jailbreak emunand with 100% of the time offline, even if is not 100% unbannable, it will be the safer scenario.
I read in the reswitched discord that emunand can be of any size, so maybe we don't have to need 32gb of space, I don't know.

Wierd_w

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This.
I don't know why people say it's useless, overrated or waste of time on implement an emunand. We still don't know what method is used by nintendo to ban, and most of the banned users were because the use of layeredfs.
Having a clean sysnand and a cfw/hen/jailbreak emunand with 100% of the time offline, even if is not 100% unbannable, it will be the safer scenario.
I read in the reswitched discord that emunand can be of any size, so maybe we don't have to need 32gb of space, I don't know.

If the emunand can be any size, that would make using a "Big honking card" more useful, IMHO. You could have a 400gb emunand with a tiny bit of the card left over for keeping the NX placated. You could to absolutely apeshit on installing pirated eshop titles then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: They really wanna get the head