Hacking ReiNX hasn't been updated yet what should I use in the interim

Dominator211

JFK's Jelly Donut
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My brother accidentally updated me to 9.0.0 and I've been waiting for several weeks for ReiNX to be updated and still nothing. So is there anything I can use in the meantime to get back on CFW until ReiNX gets an update? I tried using the atmosphere but once it showed the Nintendo Switch screen it kept throwing errors.

Dominator211

JFK's Jelly Donut
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
20191012_191207.jpg

Yes i know double post but that is my error

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No not yet. So make sure im understanding correctly Delete all the folders found within the atmosphere folder that are on my SD card then copy the fresh ones from the .zip?
I would make a backup first, but then afterward just delete the entirety of the atmosphere and sept folders, then copy over the fresh ones from the zip

Dominator211

JFK's Jelly Donut
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that actually did it... wow so this is basically the same setup as reinx homebrew menu and run my "Backups"

EDIT:
In the homebrew app store when i try and update apps it throws another error

Edit 2:
it says my backups are corrupted or won't launch the software

Last edited by Dominator211,

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that actually did it... wow so this is basically the same setup as reinx homebrew menu and run my "Backups"

EDIT:
In the homebrew app store when i try and update apps it throws another error

Edit 2:
it says my backups are corrupted or won't launch the software
For game backups you'll need Joonie86's patches. Atmosphere by default doesn't come with the proper patches to do piracy, but they can be added on. Just search Joonie86 hekate and you'll find it.
As for the homebrew app store, be sure you update that to the latest version as well.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recommend the following steps:
  1. Make a NAND backup with Hekate if you haven't already. Store it somewhere safe.
  2. Remove all CFW files/folders from your SD card (that would be folders like /sept/ and /atmosphere/)
  3. Download the latest Atmosphere from github (currently 0.9.4)
  4. Download the latest fusee-primary (next to Atmosphere)
  5. Download these signature patches
  6. Put Atmosphere and the signature patches onto your SD card
  7. Put the SD into your Switch
  8. Launch Atmosphere using fusee-primary

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recommend the following steps:
  1. Make a NAND backup with Hekate if you haven't already. Store it somewhere safe.
  2. Remove all CFW files/folders from your SD card (that would be folders like /sept/ and /atmosphere/)
  3. Download the latest Atmosphere from github (currently 0.9.4)
  4. Download the latest fusee-primary (next to Atmosphere)
  5. Download these signature patches
  6. Put Atmosphere and the signature patches onto your SD card
  7. Put the SD into your Switch
  8. Launch Atmosphere using fusee-primary
No real point in using fusee-primary, especially given the fact that hekate has more options and is even recommended by RS to do emuMMC setup. Also OP already can boot at this point, so redoing the SD card again would be pointless. Just needs to add patches and fix HB appstore.
Oh, just noticed this is my 5000th post

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No real point in using fusee-primary, especially given the fact that hekate has more options and is even recommended by RS to do emuMMC setup. Also OP already can boot at this point, so redoing the SD card again would be pointless. Just needs to add patches and fix HB appstore
When troubleshooting, it's important that we know the exact setup one is using. By following the above steps, we eliminate a lot of variables that could get in the way of effective troubleshooting.

For example, using Hekate requires different signature patches. Hekate is also slower to update than fusee-primary. Fusee-primary is recommended, unless there's something Hekate-specific one wants to use.

Last edited by Lacius,

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When troubleshooting, it's important that we know the exact setup one is using. By following the above steps, we eliminate a lot of variables that could get in the way of effective troubleshooting.

For example, using Hekate requires different signature patches. Hekate is also slower to update than fusee-primary. Fusee-primary is recommended, unless there's something Hekate-specific one wants to use.
The problem comes in when you start troubleshooting problems that have already been solved. Just extra steps to try to solve a problem that's not longer a problem. There are two methods to troubleshooting. The more difficult "remove all variables" approach, and the easier "try this one easy step first because that's been proven to usually be the problem here". When the quick and easy solution doesn't work. I typically try the usually-working fix first as it's easiest, and then go on to removing variables if the known-fix doesn't work for this instance. A majority of the time I've found that the known-fix I've learned based off of troubleshooting a bunch of similar situations works and is far easier and faster. I use the same approach on PCs as well.

8BitWonder

Small Homebrew Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My guess is going to be that whatever you're loading as 00FF747765616BFF is the issue.
After doing two seconds of research I see now this isn't a layeredFS issue, my bad.

Is ReiNX still getting updates? if so i will just wait
Judging by the recent(-ish) commits, it looks like 9.0.X support is in the works.
https://github.com/Reisyukaku/ReiNX/commits/master
Though there's no telling when the next stable will be released.

Last edited by 8BitWonder,

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem comes in when you start troubleshooting problems that have already been solved. Just extra steps to try to solve a problem that's not longer a problem. There are two methods to troubleshooting. The more difficult "remove all variables" approach, and the easier "try this one easy step first because that's been proven to usually be the problem here". When the quick and easy solution doesn't work. I typically try the usually-working fix first as it's easiest, and then go on to removing variables if the known-fix doesn't work for this instance. A majority of the time I've found that the known-fix I've learned based off of troubleshooting a bunch of similar situations works and is far easier and faster. I use the same approach on PCs as well.
I've troubleshooted this exact issue enough times to know the above steps work immediately and 100% of the time.

Nothing against Hekate, but the more Frankenstein a setup, the more variables potentially getting in the way of a solution, and the more time it's going to take to resolve the issue. There are lots of things I don't know about the OP's setup. This is the best way to troubleshoot.

Is ReiNX still getting updates? if so i will just wait
Yes, probably, but there's no ETA. Switching to Atmosphere is recommended.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've troubleshooted this exact issue enough times to know the above steps work immediately and 100% of the time.

Nothing against Hekate, but the more Frankenstein a setup, the more variables potentially getting in the way of a solution, and the more time it's going to take to resolve the issue.

Yes, probably, but there's no ETA. Switching to Atmosphere is recommended.

I wouldn't call using a different bootloader with definitively more features being "Frankenstein", especially given it's recommended by the devs for emuMMC creation. Also I haven't actually seen any problems similar to OP that were a result of the bootloader rather than the result of what's within the atmosphere/sept folders. Just had to look up the error code to see it was SM error "Service already registered", which is what lead me to believe it was definitely related to atmosphere or it's installed modules.
I don't go at it from a "shoot everything and ask questions later". Instead donig proper troubleshooting involves gathering data first, hence why I asked for the error code. There are plenty of times were simply looking up the error code and affected title id will give you an idea of the problem without forcing the user to completely change out everything they use.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't call using a different bootloader with definitively more features being "Frankenstein", especially given it's recommended by the devs for emuMMC creation. Also I haven't actually seen any problems similar to OP that were a result of the bootloader rather than the result of what's within the atmosphere/sept folders. Just had to look up the error code to see it was SM error "Service already registered", which is what lead me to believe it was definitely related to atmosphere or it's installed modules.
I don't go at it from a "shoot everything and ask questions later". Instead donig proper troubleshooting involves gathering data first, hence why I asked for the error code. There are plenty of times were simply looking up the error code and affected title id will give you an idea of the problem without forcing the user to completely change out everything they use.
There's nothing wrong with your approach, but my approach is more efficient.

Also, as I said earlier, fusee-primary is recommended in part because it receives compatibility updates quicker than Hekate, sometimes significantly quicker.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: it's a thing there