Not open for further replies.

Prime

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ok, I'm going to reinstall vista because it is getting quite sluggish and I like fresh installs for some reason. So when I do boot from the DVD should I just install it or should I format the hard drive first?

Also: If you have came here to slag me for using vista just fucking leave right now. No suggestion on getting Linux, OS X or XP. I like vista and I don't care if YOU find it awful. I didn't ask for suggestions on which OS I should get. Any mention about such a thing and you are getting reported. I know how topics about vista work here at GBAtemp.net.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Well, if you don't have anything you want to keep on your hard drive, then formatting it would be a good thing to do.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
when you reinstall it
it will move all contents including documents from the old OS and such to a folder called Windows.Old on the C: root

Prime

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Joe88 said:
when you reinstall it
it will move all contents including documents from the old OS and such to a folder called Windows.Old on the C: root

Really?!
ohmy.gif
What files does it move?

I have the important stuff backed up so I could format. But it is a large hard drive It could take quite a while.

geedub

Trophies
XP
Country
if you have backed up what you want to keep , then format it !

sorry forgot to say if its a big hard drive , you may want to think about partitioning it at the same time !

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you already backed up your stuff then a full reformat would be beneficial.

If you're the type of person that reformats their computer every couple of months and have a big hard drive, I'd recommend imaging the partition once you've done a clean install that way if you do again in the future you don't have to worry about the amount of time it takes to reinstall + drivers, etc.

Lorenc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
the first time i got it my little cuzin just pressed something after we saw vista on our comp

lol
wacko.gif

Arm the Homeless

Custom Title
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Prime said:
I think I'll format.

Arm the Homeless said:

Hah, Reported fool.
Why? You'll never need to reformat (NTFS filesystems are handled badly by Vista), you'll never need to worry about viruses (Linux viruses are mostly unheard of), much lighter (since Vista's recommended RAM is 4GB and Ubuntu works fine on 512MB), and it's completely free (as in speech and beer, nobody needs to be a pirate). And it has funny developers ( http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Linus_Torvalds )

You're just ignorant IMO then... I'm only offering a option to help.

sgand

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd do a format of the drive first, since you have your stuff backed up already. It would only do you some good.

Arm the Homeless

Custom Title
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Linkiboy said:
Linux is only free if your time is worthless
Ok... obvious troll... but explain?

How can it be useless? If I wanted to update everything I had in Ubuntu, I'd only type two commands instead of checking on each application's site individually.

It's not command-line only or a GUI from 1984 (which is a great Van Halen album).

TiVo uses Linux, Google uses Linux, YouTube uses Linux, Wikipedia uses Linux, Amazon uses Linux, all of the computers in your local grocery or whatever store are probably using Linux, all seem like great things to me. GBATemp is probably hosted on Linux.

Prime

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Arm the Homeless said:
Prime said:
I think I'll format.

Arm the Homeless said:

Hah, Reported fool.
Why? You'll never need to reformat (NTFS filesystems are handled badly by Vista), you'll never need to worry about viruses (Linux viruses are mostly unheard of), much lighter (since Vista's recommended RAM is 4GB and Ubuntu works fine on 512MB), and it's completely free (as in speech and beer, nobody needs to be a pirate). And it has funny developers ( http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Linus_Torvalds )

You're just ignorant IMO then... I'm only offering a option to help.

See? I knew this would happen. THIS is why I hate GBAtemp.

Go away Troll. You are not helping by being a Troll. If you were helping then you'd be answer my question not fucking recommending another OS.

Now go fucking troll somewhere else. I don't want to use that POS OS. I don't give a flying fucking monkeys about the developers and vista is free considering I have pirated it. You aren't welcomed in my topics! FYI vista's recommended ram isn't 4GB i believe it is 1GB or 2GB. At least get your facts right before trolling. Noob.

EDIT: Someone might as well close this. GBAtemp is fucking useless with people like Arm The Homeless about.

Arm the Homeless

Custom Title
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Prime said:
See? I knew this would happen. THIS is why I hate GBAtemp.

Go away Troll. You are not helping by being a Troll. If you were helping then you'd be answer my question not fucking recommending another OS.

Now go fucking troll somewhere else. I don't want to use that POS OS. I don't give a flying fucking monkeys about the developers and vista is free considering I have pirated it. You aren't welcomed in my topics! FYI vista's recommended ram isn't 4GB i believe it is 1GB or 2GB. At least get your facts right before trolling. Noob.
Then don't go to GBATemp.

I'm only trying to help. You wouldn't have to reformat.

POS = ???
And you're a pirate? You're admitting that? That's not very good to do... And Vista doesn't belong to you, even if you brought it. Just throwing that out there.

Vista's optimal RAM is 4GB if you want everything to work. Microsoft even said it. 1GB is probably a minimal. I'll post this link: http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=443

Don't be pissed because I'm trying to help.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm tired of Linux preachers.

First, I've had a Linux machine back when Ubuntu 6.06 was new.

I for one do not want to spend time in a console configuring my system so it works with all my hardware or to install non-gnu packages (like you have to in Ubuntu). I have an nvidia graphics card, unsupported wireless, and non-free codec video files. ndiswrapper took forever to get working with it. And my system kept crashing for reasons I don't know and at this point don't care.

Like you said, Linux is fine for specific application such as servers but I can't use it as a powerhouse desktop system when it has trouble running my favorite app or alternative. I have Linux on a netbook it's fine as it uses little power. I know my way around the console, but I'd rather keep to simple mouse clicks.

I'd rather be doing actual work or playing games instead of typing commands when I want to install something not in a repository. QED.

Prime

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You don't seem to understand. You are NOT helping me.

Switching to another OS isn't going to help me. I've tried Ubuntu, Didn't like it. I'm sticking with vista. It runs quick on 2GB of ram. It does what I want it to do and does it good. There is no need to change.

End of discussion

Arm the Homeless

Custom Title
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Linkiboy said:
I'm tired of Linux preachers.

First, I've had a Linux machine back when Ubuntu 6.06 was new.

I for one do not want to spend time in a console configuring my system so it works with all my hardware or to install non-gnu packages (like you have to in Ubuntu). I have an nvidia graphics card, unsupported wireless, and non-free codec video files. ndiswrapper took forever to get working with it. And my system kept crashing for reasons I don't know and at this point don't care.

Like you said, Linux is fine for specific application such as servers but I can't use it as a powerhouse desktop system when it has trouble running my favorite app or alternative. I have Linux on a netbook it's fine as it uses little power. I know my way around the console, but I'd rather keep to simple mouse clicks.

I'd rather be doing actual work or playing games instead of typing commands when I want to install something not in a repository. QED.
Dapper is kind of old. Linux has progressed a lot since then.

NVIDIA drivers are in the repositories or under System->Administration->Hardware Drivers. Unsupported wireless is probably supported now. Non-free codec files are in the ubuntu-restricted-extras package or in the MediBuntu repository.

EDIT: And for packages that aren't in the repos, there is always LaunchPad.net, community operated repositories which have just about every app known to man (even though there's more than I can keep track of in the normal ones
tongue.gif
)

@Prime:
Ok... don't get too angry. As I said, I was only making a suggestion.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No... thats when I had a serious Linux system. I have a new PC, new wireless N card, etc which don't work with 8.10

nin10do

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
raaaaaaaaaaaaage linux/vista blah blah. who cares.

OK seriously. my vista slowed down quite a bit recently too. re installation doesn't seem to make much of a diff on this OS. it's not worth the trouble. instead i recommend uninstalling any uneccessary progs. delete any useless data.... including music you don't listen to anymore etc. then run a host of progs:

defragment the HD
registry cleaner
anti adware
anti virus
install all vista updates.
reduce aero settings that you don't use.
btw things like sidebar use a s#!t load of resources, if you have to use something like that find light alternatives e.g.:
foobar inplace of windws media player
rainmeter inplace of side bar.

if you need any of the above mentioned software google and tpb are your friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: