Reinstalled games from CIA -- use old saves?

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by ParzivalWolfram, Jun 13, 2018.

1. ParzivalWolfram
    OP

ParzivalWolfram GBAtemp Regular

Jun 28, 2017
    United States
    I reinstalled some games and such via CIA that I had previously installed. I still have the old saves from the titles folder, can I reuse them? Just copying them back into place doesn't seem to work. Is there any way to restore these or am I just SOL?

2. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    If you didn't backup your decrypted save files using something like Checkpoint, then there's no easy way to restore your save files.

3. ParzivalWolfram
    OP

Jun 28, 2017
    United States
    I'd rather do bruteforce decryption than lose hundreds of cumulative hours of play... I'll take the hard way, if it exists.

4. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    You could try using this:
    https://github.com/wwylele/3ds-save-tool/

5. ParzivalWolfram
    OP

Jun 28, 2017
    United States
  6. Ryccardo

Ryccardo außer Tiernahrung

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    The first three are common to all consoles, and I have easily found them by googling "3ds key scrambler constant" and finding a google docs result...
    The movable.sed is console specific (this is what prevents you from using other people's encrypted saves) and located in ctrnand

By the way, you probably don't have the old saves (unless you have an older backup of the SD) - the whole point of the titles folder is to hold currently installed titles and their saves, so they were removed while reinstalling

7. ParzivalWolfram
    OP

Jun 28, 2017
    United States
    I was smart enough to copy the giant Nintendo 3DS folder off my card before reinstalling as I had a hunch that might happen.
    EDIT: I found that spreadsheet, but which one is "C" or "keyConst"? Is it KeyX, KeyY or Normal Key under the common keys section of that doc?

Last edited by ParzivalWolfram, Jun 17, 2018
  8. Ryccardo

Ryccardo außer Tiernahrung

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    It's the number in the formula (used to convert KeyX and KeyY into the "normal key", the only thing AES can use) at the very bottom of the page

9. ParzivalWolfram
    OP

Jun 28, 2017
    United States
    OH. That's helpful. Thanks!

EDIT: I'm pretty sure i'm stupid now, as I grabbed the KeyX from both the 0x30 and 0x34 slots and stuck them in the program where they go, along with the data from my movable.sed, but it's still telling me there's a CMAC mismatch.

Last edited by ParzivalWolfram, Jun 17, 2018