Reinand or CakesFW for N3DS on 9.2 sysnand?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by xxbilxx, Jan 21, 2016.

1. xxbilxx
    OP

xxbilxx GBAtemp Regular

Dec 28, 2015
    United States
    Hi! I was comparing both the different CFWs before I installed them. I am currently using the latest Rxtools, but I was wanting to switch to something that I could update my games on. Which do you guys prefer?

Notes to help decide:
    -I play no out of region games
    -I use emunand merely to play my installed .cia files
    -I don't use any of the features that are in Rxtools
    -I already have crypto-fixed and firmware spoofed .cias installed on my system

Which CFW should I switch to, and will I lose any of my crypto-fixed .cias? I want to use the newest firm, so I don't have to use any crypto-fixed games. Thanks in advance!

2. Luckkill4u

Luckkill4u 4 guys in a car ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Jul 13, 2008
    Canada
    Insomnia
    ReiNAND or CakesFW either will work. If you want you could do what I did and have Gate-Way, reiNAND, CakesFW, pastaCFW and homebrew launcher under CTRbootmanager.

3. xxbilxx
    OP

xxbilxx GBAtemp Regular

Dec 28, 2015
    United States
    I just want one that is stable and doesn't fill up my SD card with nonsense. I know cakes puts like 10 things on your SD.

4. Luckkill4u

Jul 13, 2008
    Canada
    Insomnia
    It's really not that much on your sdcard. Just payloads, firmware files, keys, patches and cfw files. I'm pretty sure they all boot pretty good and CTRbootmanager boots really fast imo.

5. xxbilxx
    OP

xxbilxx GBAtemp Regular

Dec 28, 2015
    United States
    I think I'm gonna try reinand, since some tuts mention it's faster and easier to set-up.

6. Luckkill4u

Jul 13, 2008
    Canada
    Insomnia
    Then I'd try out ReiNand Mod [O3DS/N3DS/SysNAND]

7. xxbilxx
    OP

xxbilxx GBAtemp Regular

Dec 28, 2015
    United States
    What does this have over the normal 3.1? I was also interested in installing GBA games directly to my emunand. With this, do I have to patch any files on my NAND? I noticed the post you linked to mentioned something about it but I wasn't sure.

And how is that able to boot sysnand in 10.4 if my sysnand is only 9.2?

8. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    It doesn't, it boots ReiNAND under SysNAND rather than EmuNAND.

Use regular ReiNAND to boot into EmuNAND then upgrade EmuNAND to 10.4 via system settings. To play GBA, Install the modded AGB_Firm to both SysNAND and EmuNAND with FBI set to NAND install location. after, install games to both EmuNAND and SysNAND with FBI set to SD install location.

Crypto-fixed games you already installed will continue to play fine on EmuNAND, no need to install non Crypto-fixed ones to run on EmuNAND.

Last edited by driverdis, Jan 21, 2016
  9. xxbilxx
    OP

xxbilxx GBAtemp Regular

Dec 28, 2015
    United States
    Thanks for the info! One final question. When I go to update it, is there any way I can tell that I am in emunand? I noticed that the newer versions of Reinand didn't show the string in system settings. Is this fixed with this mod? Furthermore, can this mod play games like SSB? I noticed some CFW were unable to play games that had higher RAM requirements.

10. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    If you boot regular ReiNAND (Not the mod posted above) then check to see if the banners (icons are always visible, do not use those to verify) for homebrew and/or installed games are visible. If so, you are in EmuNAND, no doubt about it as ReiNAND does not boot into SysNAND ever.

11. Luckkill4u

Jul 13, 2008
    Canada
    Insomnia
    lol a lot of your questions are answered already in that thread. If you want to use GBA cia games on emunand you need to have emu and sysnand linked. I don't like mine linked but I can still play GBA games via retroarch. You can't boot sysnand 10.4 that's silly. If you actually read the thread you would know how to boot into rei sysnand 9.2.

12. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    GBA games work unlinked if both EmuNAND and SysNAND have the patched AGB_Firm installed to NAND and the GBA games installed to SD Card. (I think I read somewhere GBA games can be run by only installing them to EmuNAND now as long as the patched AGB_Firm is on both (worth a try to save space and at worst still does not work)

13. xxbilxx
    OP

xxbilxx GBAtemp Regular

Dec 28, 2015
    United States
    What would be the purpose of installing the mod then? I mainly care about getting to 10.4 to update my games and making sure SSB and MH4 will still work within emunand. I know that CakesFW has an issue with launching SSB without a patch selected.

Also, I am nervous to update my emunand without the string in the settings application. Is that string present in the 3.1 version of ReiNAND on 10.4? I worry because sometimes emunand has booted me into my sysnand's settings application when launching from emunand.

14. Luckkill4u

Jul 13, 2008
    Canada
    Insomnia
    Oh? Well I don't like installing anything to my sysNAND. Retroarch is great though :P

Why not temporarily use Gateway launcher?

Last edited by Luckkill4u, Jan 21, 2016
  15. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    it is impossible to boot the SysNAND system settings app in EmuNAND as the NAND that is loaded is EmuNAND, not SysNAND.

EDIT: Check PM for additional help

16. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ ☠️Grunt☠️

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    Why not both? I am running RXMode (RXtools 3.0 Beta,) Cakes, and ReiNAND. Thus far they all basically do the same thing, just slightly different features.
    I personally like RXtools the most.
    You can run them all using
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/ctrbootmanager-3ds-boot-manager-loader-homemenuhax.398383/
    Edit: I just noticed you were asking about sysNAND. I rarely install to sysNAND due to the higher risk of bricking, but when I do, I use miniPASTA

Last edited by Lilith Valentine, Jan 21, 2016
  17. xxbilxx
    OP

xxbilxx GBAtemp Regular

Dec 28, 2015
    United States
    okay... whatever you say. So is there any issue using Reinand 3.1 Official to play games like SSB?

18. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    Nope, they run fine. Also check PM, what I sent you will help to make sure you know for a fact your in EmuNAND

19. brkun

brkun GBAtemp Fan

Mar 9, 2015
    United States
    No.