Reid: Romney "Didn't Pay Taxes for 10 Years"

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mitt Romney, the presumptive Republican candidate for the US presidency (the National Convention is still a month or so away), has refused to release many of his tax returns to the public, a move that many find to be unusual. His campaign claims that it is unnecessary for them to be released, while many of his opponents have questioned if Romney has something he's trying to hide.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid is one of those opponents. Recently he's made a claim that, if true, could seriously undermine Mitt Romney's chances in the election.

...According a Bain investor, Reid charged, Romney didn't pay any taxes for 10 years.

In a wide-ranging interview with The Huffington Post from his office on Capitol Hill, Reid saved some of his toughest words for the presumptive Republican presidential nominee. Romney couldn't make it through a Senate confirmation process as a mere Cabinet nominee, the majority leader insisted, owing to the opaqueness of his personal finances.

"His poor father must be so embarrassed about his son," Reid said, in reference to George Romney's standard-setting decision to turn over 12 years of tax returns when he ran for president in the late 1960s.
icon11.gif
The Huffington Post

Reid claimed to have a source from Bain Capitol, the company Romney ran some years back. However, he would not name who exactly his source was, which makes their legitimacy somewhat questionable.

Still, it's a powerful charge against the Republican candidate, one that he'll have trouble shaking off until he makes those tax returns open to the public. Does he some skeletons in the closet, or is he just a privacy minded individual? It looks like we'll have to wait and see.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know its political and all, but i hate how when someone runs for office, their personal lives always get torn to shreds. No matter what it is, its a huge stockpile of ammo to the enemy. "Mitt Romney peed the bed when he was 5: dont let the unhouse broken candidate into the White House" I know its a weak argurement and all but i just makes me sad. I wish representatives would carry the views of the people, and work for the people, and not uphold their own views.
Public servant my ass.

Reactions: 1 person

EyeZ

Trophies
XP
He was here in the UK a few days ago making gaffes and i read he done the same in Israel, and now i read this.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know its political and all, but i hate how when someone runs for office, their personal lives always get torn to shreds. No matter what it is, its a huge stockpile of ammo to the enemy. "Mitt Romney peed the bed when he was 5: dont let the unhouse broken candidate into the White House" I know its a weak argurement and all but i just makes me sad. I wish representatives would carry the views of the people, and work for the people, and not uphold their own views.
Public servant my ass.

While sometimes the scrutiny can go a bit too far, it's still important to have. We're electing someone to the most powerful and important public office in the whole nation; they'll represent the nation abroad, have the final say (bar the rare exception) on legislation, and command the nation's armed forces; it's really, really important we know exactly who we're voting for.

ouch123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Public servant my ass.

While sometimes the scrutiny can go a bit too far, it's still important to have. We're electing someone to the most powerful and important public office in the whole nation; they'll represent the nation abroad, have the final say (bar the rare exception) on legislation, and command the nation's armed forces; it's really, really important we know exactly who we're voting for.
Not to sound cynical, but it'd be nice too if we could decide who exactly we're voting for. Mitt wasn't a favorable candidate to begin with; the only reson why we're even considering him now is because everyone else either pulled out or made so many mistakes that he was the only viable "Republican" option - and I place that term in quotes out of respect for Lincoln, Roosevelt, Hoover and all the other great, truly Republican Presidents we've had throughout our history.

Edit: My grammar and spelling appear to suck in the morning.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Public servant my ass.
Agreed.

Dirty Harry needs to put up or shut up. As the accusor it is his responsibility to prove an accusation because a lie, well that is damaging, but so is the lawsuits that come from libel and slander cases too. :) The funny thing to me is that with Romney, they don't have a lot of actual real dirt so they throw a bunch of shit at the wall and try and make something stick and that stinks of desperation to me. Considering the president has said the economy is doing better and that lovely job comment how the gov't built their businesses for them it was a nice little one-two punch that's hurting him since he keeps trying to tout his economic plans and we're still rocking over 8% unemployment which just ticked up another tenth too. They're afraid it'll eat his re-election campaign alive so it's time to throw out the dirtiest tricks to keep their guy in office.

Keep in mind Harry even is quoted as saying he's not sure if it's true either. But, well, he never was very much interested in truth I think looking at that guys actions over the years so I'm not surprised. People like that are like the old nazi propaganda minister Goebbels. I don't remember the exact quote, but basically the goosestepper said that if you tell a lie enough times it becomes the truth, which was their campaign against the jews and the allies. Lie until the people believed it, then backed their actions.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Public servant my ass.

Not to sound cynical, but it'd be nice too if we could decide who exactly we're voting for. Mitt wasn't a favorable candidate to begin with; the only reson why we're even considering him now is because everyone else either pulled out or made so many mistakes that he was the only viable "Republican" option - and I place that term in quotes out of respect for Lincoln, Roosevelt, Hoover and all the other great, truly Republican Presidents we've had throughout our history.

Edit: My grammar and spelling appear to suck in the morning.

The Republican Party of today is something of a mess, and quite a far cry from what it used to be. Honestly, some heavy losses in the election might be the best thing for it; it would force the party leaders to reevaluate their tactics, and hopefully push the party back towards a better, more sensible direction.

Anyway...

UPDATE: Another person has come forward to back Harry Reid's claim.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse