Homebrew RELEASE reicast [Dreamcast emulator] for Switch/Horizon [Alpha]

davidgf

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey there folks,

I'm glad to introduce you reicast for switch. This is a very rushed release, expect bugs and many issues, but in the next days a more polished version should be in order. Also a more proper release, since we don't have yet automated builds for switch.
The current version has some caveats: although it uses JIT (so fullspeed! in fact can go at x2 the speed easily) there's no exception handling yet, therefor things like texture invalidation don't' work well. This can be very limiting for some games, whereas others won't show many quirks. In fact just the BIOS shows this behaviour, textures in dialogs won't get updated :D

Well that's it, this is a very alpha version, so expect most bugs to get fixed soon. You might also wanna check out reicast on Android or PC (at reicast.com)
I'd like to thanks flyinghead for this tremendous contributions (he's the one to thank for the armv8 JIT backend), and of course skmp and all the crew that keep reicast great (although unreadable!)

Edit: How to use it.
Yeah forgot to add that. You'll need the BIOS files at /reicast/data/dc_boot.bin /reicast/data/dc_flash.bin. The settings can be tweaked at /reicast/emu.cfg. I'd also place ROMs at /reicast on your sd card.
Notice that games using MMU won't work, that's WinCE games (I guess this list is reasonable: https://segaretro.org/Windows_CE).

Important: reicast needs some memory (like 512MB+), so launching the app via nb loader won't work if you use the Album thingy to launch it. This bit me during porting too. You need to launch a game (any game) and press the R trigger to enter the HB loader in "game mode". That should do.

Love, davidgf

Finally some mandatory screenshots:

JjAeZ8e.jpg

CvxhnZM.jpg

B8hitUQ.jpg

Attachments

• reicast.nro.zip
    3.9 MB · Views: 9,399
Last edited by davidgf,

shabbypenguin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Put bios into /reicast/data for anyone having issues getting it to load anything :)

thank you so much @davidgf wife is so happy to play some knock off crash bandicoot magnetic game ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Justinde75

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Any games tested already? I'd love to see both Sonic Adventure games, and especially Shenmue (Which is probably not happening yet since the game is usually hard to run for emulators)

TenkoIntoOrochi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just tried out Crazy Taxi and Jet Grind Radio both in handheld mode and both games played pretty well so far and were very much playable. Can't wait to try some sprite based games when the battery recharges.

Thank you so much for your great work and I really look forward to future releases.

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Is one small .gdi file and a bunch of track .bin files the right game format for this bad boy?
e: copying the game over nxmtp didn't take as long as I thought, so answering my own question - yes.

Chu Chu Rocket plays great, settings menu seems a bit sketchy but gameplay perfect so far.

Last edited by hippy dave,

SkittleDash

Head Nurse
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Very nice! Still needs some work as you said. I was getting full speed with Crazy Taxi! Though I do get sudden system crashes after a few minutes.

SkittleDash

Head Nurse
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
what directory do you place the roms in ?

Create a folder on the root of your SD and call it reicast. Place them there. Also make sure you create a data folder inside the reicast folder and put the bios in there. Once you launch the emulator, go to settings and set the path to reicast.

Reactions: DMN1

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Those IHOP chips are actually pretty damn good