RELEASE reicast [Dreamcast emulator] for Switch/Horizon [Alpha]

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by davidgf, May 13, 2019.

1. Rahkeesh

Rahkeesh GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 3, 2018
    United States
    I only looked in depth at soul calibur. And the latest redream beta via play store in lite mode on performance battery profile moves about as "choppy" for me as it does in your video played at 720p/60fps. I don't know if there is youtube weirdness but if your video is properly recorded and displayed at 60 fps then its showing about the same as my experience with redream. Soul Calibur is a mostly 60 FPS game on real hardware as you can see below and on Reicast using GLES (not the default GL renderer) its very close to that although not quite perfect.

There's likely massive frameskipping going on to deal with the Switch's limited CPU, redream runs much smoother on my snapdragon 845 phone for instance. I think its just plain a more demanding emulator than reicast, and it also hides away advanced settings like adjusting frameskip. It may be more accurate and you might not see as much frameskip for native 30 FPS games though, so the experience may vary with other games.

notimp likes this.
  2. ColorBoyKent

ColorBoyKent Member

Newcomer
    Jul 19, 2019
    United States
    for reason reicast dont show up in my mercury

3. seanp2500

seanp2500 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 2, 2010
    United States

yo only thing I don't get is nothing choppy about what I see in my STREAMED video. I mean we are talking a direct feed here boss. In your video I honestly can't even tell what is running but I do DEF notice the black bars on the side of the screen and that the graphics don't look as nice. I also notice you are running beta but I am running the copy with the hd features for those who donate??? Again I say this respectfully since I really do think you generally know your stuff.

I have actually compared reicast or flycast or whatever alternatives to redreamed paid and I gotta tell you there was just NO comparison.

Is this the difference? That you are using the free copy? Like I almost had to read your comment twice I am like choppy? choppy? What choppy like at what minute mark etc. Remember specifically talking soul calibre here. I mean when we compare other games redreamed would def come out ahead but this game is important for me. Oh well whatever if folks can read and watch let them decide. I share my findings out of love for dreamcast.

4. Kralik323

Kralik323 Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 8, 2018
    United States
    Still nit working on sx os ?

5. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
    I see no reason why it wouldn’t work on SX. I don’t use SX, but I assume it has title redirection.

6. wakabayashy

wakabayashy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 25, 2014
    France
    France
    he does

7. Rahkeesh

Rahkeesh GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 3, 2018
    United States
    To be clear its not "my" video, I've never tried to upload everything. But it is someone's video of a REAL dreamcast, so yes the video quality is lower. But if you set it to 720p/60fps and you can't see any obvious difference in buttery smoothness of motion vs. your own video as it appears on youtube, I don't know what to tell you other than try some frametime analysis. If you can't spot the difference versus real hardware you'll never see it comparing emulators. Soul calibur and other 60 FPS dreamcast games are certainly quite playable at lower framerates but they don't really feel the same to me.

Sonic Adventure and 2 have similar issues, those should also be 60 FPS games and seem to run well under that in your video and on my redream. Even reicast struggles to hit 60 though, for example in the opening pavement snowboard of SA2, but its mostly 60 once you get beyond that to start walking around. See below and set to 720p/60 for another example from a real Dreamcast for how these games "should" run.

8. EmulateLife

EmulateLife GBAtemp Psycho!

May 30, 2016
    United States
    It worked on sx os from day one.

9. notimp

notimp GBAtemp Addict

Sep 18, 2007
    Giant Bomb did a 3 hour video on the Dreamcast using an HDMI modded console. Its such a good nostalgia piece for what the console was, that I thought I post it in here. :) Just for inspiration. :) And maybe you'll see some new games you'd want to try out. :)

h**ps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cymPf8sFIk

10. Purple_Shyguy

Purple_Shyguy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 8, 2008
    Republic of Ireland
    Can we close this thread? It's obvious a new version isn't coming and there's other methods for playing Dreamcast at better performance

Sm0k3r83 likes this.
  11. SeongGino

SeongGino The Average One

May 20, 2015
    United States
    Jersey, Jersey
    None for Horizon. OtherOS options aren't replacing native solutions any time soon.

AronR likes this.
  12. Zigs

Zigs Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 5, 2018
    United States
    This still being worked on?

JoshuaYerkoSeman likes this.
  13. tabnk

tabnk GBAtemp Regular

Jan 20, 2016
    United States
    NO. :)

JoshuaYerkoSeman likes this.
  14. OuahOuah

OuahOuah GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 2, 2006
    France
    France
  15. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
    Silent_Gunner and Smoker1 like this.
  16. davidgf
    OP

davidgf Member

Newcomer
    Mar 25, 2011
    Hey just a heads up, no longer workin on this.
    However most of the code was upstreamed (by me) to reicast, right before the flycast fork, therefore it will definitely land on Switch as a Retroarch plugin or whatever it is called. Stay tuned, these guys are working really well and it should be out soon I suspect.

hippy dave likes this.
  17. EmulateLife

May 30, 2016
    United States
    A new Flycast was released on Retroarch Switch the other day, but it doesn't work for SX OS users.

Gamerxxx likes this.
  18. Smoker1

Smoker1 GBAtemp Addict

Feb 17, 2015
    United States
    Carmichael, California
    Yeah, because of the fact that SX OS is Closed Sourced, so they dont know how to Code it for SX OS.

19. EmulateLife

May 30, 2016
    United States
    Not buying that as a reason. m4xw's first patreon release of Flycast worked on SX OS did he know how to "code for SX OS" at first but forgot? Also david's worked on SX OS do you think he knows how to "code for SX OS" there's no such thing. But if someone hates SX OS that can make it not work. m4xw worked on PSP and N64 and they work on SX OS and his first DC release.

But it's his work if he wants to sabotage it not to work for certain users he's allowed to I guess.

Last edited by EmulateLife, Sep 27, 2019
    OuahOuah and Gamerxxx like this.
  20. SeongGino

SeongGino The Average One

May 20, 2015
    United States
    Jersey, Jersey
    At least we can put this one to bed, then. But your contributions mean a lot to us, and hope you'll be able to put more out in the future!

You can't 'code' for a specific CFW, but you also can't predict what the heck it is the closed source devs are doing that can make it not work. There's such a nonexistent incentive to make things work on SX OS when there are simply better (both ethically and functionally/monetarily) options that you can use. It's not like TX are supporting homebrew devs anyhow in a way that benefits the community, like Atmosphere and even ReiCFW do, so why give anything in return?

Not only is it his choice to not support TX (as he pretty blatantly makes clear on several occasions), but there's literally nothing he can do to fix it, without putting everything else to a halt and rebuilding it from scratch to see where things break. This goes for all homebrew. And I wouldn't be surprised if more advanced homebrew ports start to break down on SX exclusively in the future anyways.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted