Homebrew RELEASE reicast [Dreamcast emulator] for Switch/Horizon [Alpha]

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have mentioned to the Libretro Pages, and even GitHub that the RA Switch Build could possibly handle the DC Core and newer MAME Builds. So who knows when they will possibly consider adding them.

It seems like the 3D cores need some massaging to actually run on Horizon. So let's throw some money at m4wx and pray. >_>

Reactions: cucholix

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Link please. In the Play store redream isn't classified as beta software. So is there a beta channel, or different source of for the beta apk?
In the play store app, on the Redream page, scroll right to the bottom and press "Join" in the "Join the beta" section.

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
David G. F. currently in pursuit a career or at least getting an interview at Google LLC. Doubt he will have time to work on this side project ever.

For real!? Damn! Hope he nails that interview.

Will say that flycast on lakka runs the best I've seen DC run on the Switch. For some reason DC runs better than PS1. Like, when I go to play Bloody Roar 2, Tekken 3, and SOTN, they all run worse than Virtua Fighter 3 does. It doesn't run at full speed with the stock clock, but it was maybe losing 10 frames at most as opposed to the 30+(!) that every game on the PS1 emulators ran at the same clockspeed. (tried SOTN with beetle, and the damn thing was running really slow on the PS1 boot screen) Only by OC'ing to High Performance did it achieve speeds that didn't require OC'ing before on Horizon, or even on Ubuntu if I remember right. Is it because, according to the FAQ for lakka-switch, PCXR-Reloaded is "software rendered"?

Only drawback is that lakka lacks a lot of features as of yours truly typing this out atm, such as not being dockable, no sleep mode, and no support for wireless controllers of any kind. Not to mention, even with the new update, the battery drops like a fucking rock compared to Horizon from what I remember.

I haven't tried Android out in regards to anything. I know ETA Prime did a video on the Switch running LineageOS that included him using Redream (but no RetroArch for...some reason) and Dolphin, and I guess it was supposed to be running at full speed but because the emulator thought it was using a 30hz display the framerate was halved or something? It was weird. He was testing SC2 with Dolphin and it looked like it was running about as well as it did in Ubuntu. Either way, I won't try Android out until some of the bugs are ironed out as it's clearly not meant for regular use yet.

Thing is, all of these solutions that don't involve using Horizon in anyway are what I think most of us normal users would consider a WIP. Lakka is the solution for emulators that I like the most in terms of compatibility and potential. Yes, PS1 support is lacking, but I hope that's something that's planned to be fixed along with all of the other features of the hardware that have yet to be put in. Ubuntu is fine, but it's a colossal PITA to set up since you have to essentially use a separate SD card, have a KB/M/touchpad+KB hybrid thing like the Logitech K830 (which has its problems, such as slowing down or really laggy input in spite of a clear line-of-sight to the device I'm using it for) handy, and be ready to do a lot of configuration work than you might expect for a homebrew solution on a game console. Not to mention, docking it can be an exercise in frustration as it doesn't always dock properly.

tabnk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For my own testing (Dead or Alive 2) with reicast on Lakka and Android, both emulator (overclock) run around 43-55 FPS. However, reicast (David port) version on horizon run near 60fps full speed even at stock clock.

For real!? Damn! Hope he nails that interview.

Will say that flycast on lakka runs the best I've seen DC run on the Switch. For some reason DC runs better than PS1. Like, when I go to play Bloody Roar 2, Tekken 3, and SOTN, they all run worse than Virtua Fighter 3 does. It doesn't run at full speed with the stock clock, but it was maybe losing 10 frames at most as opposed to the 30+(!) that every game on the PS1 emulators ran at the same clockspeed. (tried SOTN with beetle, and the damn thing was running really slow on the PS1 boot screen) Only by OC'ing to High Performance did it achieve speeds that didn't require OC'ing before on Horizon, or even on Ubuntu if I remember right. Is it because, according to the FAQ for lakka-switch, PCXR-Reloaded is "software rendered"?

Only drawback is that lakka lacks a lot of features as of yours truly typing this out atm, such as not being dockable, no sleep mode, and no support for wireless controllers of any kind. Not to mention, even with the new update, the battery drops like a fucking rock compared to Horizon from what I remember.

I haven't tried Android out in regards to anything. I know ETA Prime did a video on the Switch running LineageOS that included him using Redream (but no RetroArch for...some reason) and Dolphin, and I guess it was supposed to be running at full speed but because the emulator thought it was using a 30hz display the framerate was halved or something? It was weird. He was testing SC2 with Dolphin and it looked like it was running about as well as it did in Ubuntu. Either way, I won't try Android out until some of the bugs are ironed out as it's clearly not meant for regular use yet.

Thing is, all of these solutions that don't involve using Horizon in anyway are what I think most of us normal users would consider a WIP. Lakka is the solution for emulators that I like the most in terms of compatibility and potential. Yes, PS1 support is lacking, but I hope that's something that's planned to be fixed along with all of the other features of the hardware that have yet to be put in. Ubuntu is fine, but it's a colossal PITA to set up since you have to essentially use a separate SD card, have a KB/M/touchpad+KB hybrid thing like the Logitech K830 (which has its problems, such as slowing down or really laggy input in spite of a clear line-of-sight to the device I'm using it for) handy, and be ready to do a lot of configuration work than you might expect for a homebrew solution on a game console. Not to mention, docking it can be an exercise in frustration as it doesn't always dock properly.

vagosvts7

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Hi Guys ! Has found a solution for virtua striker 2, playing with the left analog stick ?
The game runs fine, but does not support the analog stick but supports the left cross !!
Is there a solution? Is the rom version's fault?

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi Guys ! Has found a solution for virtua striker 2, playing with the left analog stick ?
The game runs fine, but does not support the analog stick but supports the left cross !!

I think this version of the emu doesn't let you configure the analog stick if I remember right.

Reactions: vagosvts7

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there is no solution; The rom or the emulator is to blame ? Daytona and virtua tennis play fine with the left analog stick !!

I wouldn't count on everything working fine with this port, if ever at all. All we've got from Davidgf is radio silence, and if there's any shred of truth to him trying to find a job at Google, then this emulator ain't gonna be finished. Maybe if he wanted to open source this commit/branch/however github works exactly, but the best hope we have right now is Lakka getting a bunch of critical updates and features that aren't quite there yet and/or flycast being ported to Horizon. At the end of the day, it does me no difference as I use my hacked Switch primarily as a homebrew/emulation device as opposed to my clean Switch.

Reactions: vagosvts7

Basketto

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
All this about a flycast port... I still am failing to understand the difference between the older reicast in lakka and the current. The most recent lakka I actually found ran a few DC games at a lower fps than before and seems more buggy. All that got mentioned in the update was i quote
“Reicast has now been renamed Flycast” nothing was mentioned about having a greatly superior core, or even that it was updated in any way. For the most part though games ran full speed or minimum 90% speed on stock on the older reicast.

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All this about a flycast port... I still am failing to understand the difference between the older reicast in lakka and the current. The most recent lakka I actually found ran a few DC games at a lower fps than before and seems more buggy. All that got mentioned in the update was i quote
“Reicast has now been renamed Flycast” nothing was mentioned about having a greatly superior core, or even that it was updated in any way. For the most part though games ran full speed or minimum 90% speed on stock on the older reicast.

Renaming it has nothing to do with Flycast being superior. A couple of months back the creator of Reicast/NullDc wanted to start making money off it so some forked off it and made Flycast. Its talked about in this thread more extensively many pages back.

Basketto

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Renaming it has nothing to do with Flycast being superior. A couple of months back the creator of Reicast/NullDc wanted to start making money off it so some forked off it and made Flycast. Its talked about in this thread more extensively many pages back.

So am i to understand Reicast can no longer be used in retroarch as a core? Many appologies for my ignorance on the matter.

jeferey

Trophies
XP
Country
France

virtua striker 2 in real dreamcast not support the analog stick.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Maybe we could request @m4xw to take over reicast. Very talented & highly respectable dev. Me & maybe others can put cash towards a fund, patreon or bounty for him if he is willing to do it.
m4xw has voiced a bit of enthusiasm, that other devs would at least try to carry part of the workload in the past. :) So the brilliant idea to ask him to do it - is actually pretty obvious, maybe not so brilliant, and in the end - it still is work. :)

So its not 'horray, more work' or 'horray for brilliant gbatemp users in thinking about that he could do it', because the thought has actually crossed his mind - and he was thankful, that some other people took a shot at it for once.

(src is gossip in the discord chat. - way back when reicast alpha had been released. :) )

Doesnt mean it will never happen - just, consider that this still is work.

Last edited by notimp,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Musk sues Hyundai in 3... 2... 1...