RELEASE reicast [Dreamcast emulator] for Switch/Horizon [Alpha]

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by davidgf, May 13, 2019.

1. Risteing

Risteing Member

Newcomer
    Sep 18, 2018
    Argentina
    I tested this emulator with Sonic Adventure (USA) and it is working pretty well (it's some weird issues, especially in Sonic faces... and the intro movie didn't play well at all). But kinda got stuck after obtaining the Light Shoes. This hated hedgehog doesn't want to get out of this hole.

2. EmulateLife

EmulateLife GBAtemp Psycho!

May 30, 2016
    United States
    Works but with graphical glitches in the menus and in the wrestlers while wrestling. So to me I'd say unplayable unless there's a setting I can change that I'm unaware of.

3. DSwizzy

DSwizzy GBAtemp Regular

Nov 16, 2018
    United States
    Bonerville
    I'm honestly very surprised at this release regardless being a little too early , very happy this has finally became a dream come true as a big Dreamcast fan! Thank You very much for your hard work to bring this for the Switch!!

cucholix and Mchi5 like this.
  4. FanNintendo

FanNintendo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 16, 2018
    United States
    is there cd format converter like gdi to cdi similar to ps1 or psp iso converter

5. ignare

ignare GBAtemp Regular

Feb 9, 2019
    United States
    Sonic Advenure is lagging a bit for me, at least on the default settings. Everything else works brilliantly, though.

6. coffinbirth

coffinbirth GBAtemp Regular

Jun 15, 2009
    United States
    Wowzers! Quite the rabbit hole there...is there a program to patch those in, or is it manual editing? Much difference between using codebreaker vs. those patches?

7. onofrix

onofrix Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 29, 2015
    Hahaha thats good!

8. ChrisGoesPewPew

ChrisGoesPewPew Newbie

Newcomer
    May 13, 2019
    United States
    Search about it on YouTube, there's a fairly easy way to make it out.

Since so many of us haven't had issues I'm guessing it's related to either the rom you got or maybe you didn't run the emulator through HBMenu.

Also thanks for answering my questions on your YT. You don't need to test Path of Radiance, I had already been planning on supporting m4xw and didn't realize it was his Patreon that gave access. I'm downloading it as we speak and I'll test it out on my own. Keep doing what you are doing though, it's fun to share your videos around to my friends.

Last edited by ChrisGoesPewPew, May 13, 2019
    onofrix likes this.
  9. EmulateLife

May 30, 2016
    United States
    Here's a bunch of games I've tried. You might notice I'm mostly only interested in exclusives that's why there's no Sonic Adventures, Jet Set Radio etc....

Working games I've tried:
    D2
    Ooga Booga
    Illbleed
    Fighting Vipers 2
    Project Justice
    Carrier
    Capcom vs SNK Millennium Collection
    WWF Royal Rumble
    Virtua Fighter 3TB
    Suzuki Alstare Extreme Racing
    Surf Rocket Racers
    Spawn In The Demon's Hand
    Shenmue
    Draconus Cult of the Wyrm
    Daytona USA 2001
    Zombie Revenge
    Sword of the Berserk
    Rippin Riders Snowboarding
    Plasma Sword
    Cosmic Smash
    ChuChu Rocket!
    Blue Stinger
    Cannon Spike

Not working or problems:
    Fire Pro Wrestling D (graphical glitches)
    4 Wheel Thunder (not working)
    Omikron The Nomad Soul (not working)

Last edited by EmulateLife, May 13, 2019
    cucholix and Ninn like this.
  10. Mchi5

Mchi5 Member

Newcomer
    May 13, 2019
    United States
    I tried Cannon spike and Power Stone 1

11. Ninn

Ninn GBAtemp Fan

Dec 1, 2006
    Nice list man! I'll definitely try a few of those games now.

No one tried Ready 2 Rumble yet?

Last edited by Ninn, May 13, 2019
  12. Ilie11

Ilie11 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 23, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I'm curious about something.
    I have EUR bios files in /reicast/data. If i wanted to play a USA game, would i have to have the USA bios, is that right? Would there be a way to have all bios files in the same folder as they all have the same filename?

13. EmulateLife

May 30, 2016
    United States
    Did you try a USA game? I'm thinking it'll work. I have USA bios and just played Fire Pro Wrestling D which is a Japanese game and it worked.

Ilie11 likes this.
  14. Ilie11

Ilie11 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 23, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I haven't yet, will try tomorrow. Thanks for the advice

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

15. Mchi5

Mchi5 Member

Newcomer
    May 13, 2019
    United States
    Sorry if this is a noob question, but you mean start any random switch game but hold R while starting. Then exit to main switch screen and then choose the reicast nro from the HOmebrew menu?

16. EmulateLife

May 30, 2016
    United States
    No, when you hold R and start a game, it should take you to the homebrew menu instead of starting the game. From there, you select Reicast. Don't exit the homebrew menu.

Mchi5 likes this.
  17. ignare

ignare GBAtemp Regular

Feb 9, 2019
    United States
    Does anyone know the best settings to set it to for Shenmue?
    EDIT: I think I've been getting lags for all games due to how I'm running it. I'm running it from the HBmenu NSP. Is it that I'm supposed to do that, or run it from HB from album?

Last edited by ignare, May 13, 2019
  18. EmulateLife

May 30, 2016
    United States
    Neither, hold R and start a Switch game. Instead of starting the Switch game it will take you to the homebrew menu. From there select Reicast.

19. notimp

notimp GBAtemp Addict

Sep 18, 2007
    How to patch Shenmue to run in 16:9 without load in glitches on the sides of the image (GUI elements will be stretched, so maybe dont replace your original gdis/chds - but just add additional ones).

Extract the gdi using this tool:
    https://assemblergames.com/threads/patching-gdi-images.57271/#post-821056
    (Read the readme to find out how to do so.)

Open the 1st_read.bin in a hex editor (f.e. https://www.heise.de/download/product/hxd-50764 ).

Search and replace (select hex in the dropdown menu in replace if you are using HxD from the link above) the following three values:
    https://assemblergames.com/threads/dreamcast-widescreen-hacks.58620/page-41#post-932374
    (Values for Shenmue 2 are in a previous posting in the same thread.)

Save the file.

Remove the backup file that might have been created.

Repack the .gdi

Optional: Compress the .gdi to a .chd using this tool:
    https://forums.launchbox-app.com/to...files-conversion/?tab=comments#comment-292142

In game, disable Widescreen hack, and set horizontal stretch to 134% (checked with ingame assets, its closer to 16:9 than 133%).

Thats it.
    --

Before you venture into Shenmue, you might want to know that pixel accurate alpha blending would fix the missing polygons in faces, and the notebook.

This might be implemented in future builds, so maybe wait a little before playing the game - or play it in Lakka. :)

Also - an Overclock of CPU to 1.2 GHz and GPU to 384 Mhz (in portable), solves most of the slowdown issues in game. You might want to set those overclocks with sys-clk :)

Last edited by notimp, May 14, 2019
    SrTommy, rommy667, AirbusX and 3 others like this.
  20. DollyWhipDoll

DollyWhipDoll Royalty & Unbothered. LMFAO!!! ;)

May 18, 2018
    United States
    Settings, Video, check Widescreen for Fullscreen.

These have some glitches, here and there, but are playable and have such a sharp picture!

Giga Wing 2
    HOTD 2
    Cannon Spike {all the way left on character screen for Mega Man, far right for BB Hood}

Cannon Spike is my new 'hidden gem' and I don't even like top-down games. Capcom should bring that back!

Thank you! I wasn't even thinking of trying this since it seemed to only work with RetroArch forwarded games, but it sure does!

Dramatic Battle is exactly why I play Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max. Didn't know there was that mode outside of the PSP version of SFA3.

Wait. I just tried it. I think I played that on the PS2 or something. PSP version is still superior because it has more character options and you can pick both that you want on your team.

No WinCE.

"Notice that games using MMU won't work, that's WinCE games (I guess this list is reasonable:https://segaretro.org/Windows_CE)."

ModderFokker619 likes this.
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted