RegionHax - How to get RegionFree on WiiU

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Ne2buntu, Nov 12, 2016.

?

Have you tested RegionHax ?

Poll closed Nov 16, 2016.
  1. Nope, no care about that

13 vote(s)
    9.6%
  2. No, but i will do it one day

58 vote(s)
    42.6%
  3. Yes, on rednand and it works !

15 vote(s)
    11.0%
  4. Yes, on sysnand and it works !

34 vote(s)
    25.0%
  5. Yes, on sysnand AND rednand and it works !

10 vote(s)
    7.4%
  6. Nope, i bricked my rednand

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  7. Nope, i bricked my Wii U

5 vote(s)
    3.7%
  1. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    I think it only affects game launching. setting it to German is too specific as well. afaik, it will have to be Europe, so text wouldn't display in German.

2. SirNapkin1334

SirNapkin1334 Renound Aritst

Aug 20, 2017
    United States
    Crap Mountain
    Hmm, that's too bad. Guess I'll have to wait for a true Region Change to come around like the one in the 3DS community.

3. d.d.d.

d.d.d. GBAtemp Fan

Jun 26, 2012
    Tokyo Metropolis
    So by doing that, can you make an out of region game load on a different system?
    My situation: JP Wii U, US LoZTP and others - If I edit the prod.xml to say that x-game is to be run as USA/English, it will be run that way cuz the prod.xml tells the system OS to do that??

4. CosmoCortney

CosmoCortney Chemtrail Pilot

Apr 18, 2013
    New Zealand
    on the cool side of the pillow
    The files holds regional information and such.
    there's a line telling which regional version of games to accept.
    the value 1 will only accept JPN games. 2 USA games and 4 EUR games. Therefore 7 will accept games of all three regions. the value 119 covers up all regions known by the Wii U (EUR, USA, JPN, KOR, TWN and CHN)

5. SirNapkin1334

SirNapkin1334 Renound Aritst

Aug 20, 2017
    United States
    Crap Mountain
    Apparently (shown by the video) 199 works, for some reason. Interesting.

6. CosmoCortney

CosmoCortney Chemtrail Pilot

Apr 18, 2013
    New Zealand
    on the cool side of the pillow
    it does because it also sets the 3 least significant bits to 1. but it lacks others and enables non existent regions

SirNapkin1334 likes this.
  7. oslo83

oslo83 Advanced Member

Jun 6, 2016
    France
  8. oslo83

oslo83 Advanced Member

Jun 6, 2016
    France
    I'd like to thank you, i regionhaxed my wiiu for last year.
    I did it on sysnand with mocha.
    (yes while on mocha wupserver is always enabled, so i realise that while on mocha, anyone on local network could fiddle on wiiu system files :/, but it's an other subject)

9. Uzeir

Uzeir Member

Newcomer
    Jan 21, 2018
    Azerbaijan
    Hi,

I have a Japanese Wii U. I've downloaded the games from Wii U USB Helper - EUR Region. All games that I've installed are in EUR- ENGLISH region. My Mario Kart 8 just stuck on the start up loading screen and Star Fox Zero stuck on the loading screen as well. I have change region setting through "Spiik" homebrew application but my MK8 stuck on the start up loading screen again. Is the "regionhax" and "spiik" are functionality is same or different?

10. Keizel

Keizel GBAtemp Fan

Jun 28, 2015
    United States
    Could I modify a only one game of other region (JAP) for play in my Wii U EUR?

I know about CFW and RegionHax, but I prefer don't use it and play another region games without use CFW/RegionHax.

Maybe is possible by edit the game by FTP, anyone know how?

11. Shadow#1

Shadow#1 Wii & 3DS Softmod Expert

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    images arnt working anymore in your post

12. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Guru

May 6, 2006
    United States
    This is an old post. No need with CFW to do this anymore. The patches are included in all CFWs now and rednand is old news. Nice necro bump

13. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    I saw from one member that something on his wii u stopped working after accidentally modifying that string incorrectly. I can't recall what that something was, but I think it might've been the browser. he hadn't installed haxchi either, so I guess you could call that a brick as far as cfw is concerned.

also, if you make either a new NNID or profile (can't recall which), the wii u disc channel and the wii channel will disappear from the system. I'm not really sure why that is, but it must have something to do with the region change. the region for the system must be somewhere else. I'm not sure why something so important would be an xml file. lol

14. bootmonster

bootmonster GBAtemp Fan

Oct 26, 2002
    United States
    He changed it to region free then changed his mind and changed it back to what he thought was the right region, but he got it wrong and soft bricked his console. So yeah, can the OP update the thread with a disclaimer and or/can mods please lock this thread?

15. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    I left mine with region hax even after installing cbhc. I do have a backup of that file (sys_prod.xml) which I made before making the change. maybe that should be in the disclaimer at least?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

16. Powerful

Powerful GBAtemp Fan

Dec 7, 2016
    United States
    No there is a brick warning on the thread. It’s a pretty dumb mistake since your friend knew where he lived. All he has to do was pay attention to the number code and enter it. They did not therefore buy a new Wii U, sorry. This mod works and the thread explains everything, that was user error.

Ryccardo likes this.
  17. bootmonster

bootmonster GBAtemp Fan

Oct 26, 2002
    United States
    I meant update the thread to say this is no longer required if using CFW.
    Wasn't my friend was another forum user btw, though reading between the lines he was using a Wii u from a county other than where he was from, but that's besides the point.

I still think it a good idea to lock the thread to prevent it from jumping to the top every time someone gets the idea that this is worth doing, which in the current climate it is not.

18. Shadow#1

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    Not my doings that be oslo83

19. mostafa

mostafa Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 13, 2017
    Iran
    hi
    by this method only the EUR consoles can be regionfree ?
    or the USA consoles too !!!
    for the USA consoles the value must be 119 or diffrent value ?
    I apologize for the English language
    i helped google translate

20. Shadow#1

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    Not needed anymore Haxchi is regionfree by default

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted