Hacking Region locked cartridges and region free cias

Chipie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi!

I installed a (EUR) .cia on my modded 3ds, but FBI now shows me that game in the title list as a "Region Free" one. Is it normal?

My question is: what happens if one day I'll want to transfer the save from the digital copy to my EUR cartridge? Does the game save still counts as an EUR game and will be compatible with the physical copy, or does the cfw automatically "ruins" it the moment it changes its region to region free?

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: jeffyTheHomebrewer

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
catboybeebop.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
Your best bet is an r4 card but if you wannan risk it go ahead
Woah, no. R4 cards suck major crumbs off the floor. As far as I know, you should be able to transfer the save just fine; HOWEVER, always make a backup of BOTH saves in case anything goes wrong.

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
catboybeebop.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
Well whatever
For real though, I recommend you do some research on the modern methods of (proper) homebrew, as it might be interesting! And certainly safer than using a gateway card like it's 2013. I know you said R4, but that's a brand of DS flash cart, meaning it'd only run DS games and homebrew, not 3DS.

Reactions: AngryCinnabon

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I installed a (EUR) .cia on my modded 3ds, but FBI now shows me that game in the title list as a "Region Free" one. Is it normal?
hey bro what game you talking about? certain games happen to be a region free by default like a Pokemon title for instance

My question is: what happens if one day I'll want to transfer the save from the digital copy to my EUR cartridge? Does the game save still counts as an EUR game and will be compatible with the physical copy, or does the cfw automatically "ruins" it the moment it changes its region to region free
wait so you made this back up yourself and it changed from a European to a region free? ... the save file should be compatible if it's not making it compatible should be as simple as a hex edit

Chipie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I don't really get how to quote the messages from my phone. Sorry if my reply is gonna be messy :c

@error404bsod
Like someone else said that's for NDS only; I don't know if there's something similar for 3DS but that's not what I was asking about. I love to have the original copies of the games I like, that's why I'd like to transfer my save there. :3

@jeffyTheHomebrewer
Thank you very much for your reply! ~

@wormdood
The game is Xenoblade Chronicles.
Nope, I didn't - I just downloaded the game from a .cia site and then installed it on my DS. I'm sure it is EUR, the ID is the same as the EUR version, but in the title list FBI says its region is "Region Free" >.<
Ok so in the worst case scenario I can make it compatible? That's really good to know, thanks c:

Tokiwa

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
It's just an assumption but since you downloaded from some site it could be a very old cia file patched to be "RF", it was basically just a hex edit. They used to be pretty common before Luma, i believe it was for some Sky3ds users and other methods of playing games that didn't remove region lock of the 3DS.

But as long the titleid of the saves matches you shouldn't have any problems, just make sure to always have a backup.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hi!

My question is: what happens if one day I'll want to transfer the save from the digital copy to my EUR cartridge? Does the game save still counts as an EUR game and will be compatible with the physical copy, or does the cfw automatically "ruins" it the moment it changes its region to region free?

Thanks in advance!
A lot of older CIAs were prepatched with region free so that's probably why.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'll just pretend like I know what's going on