(Region free) Game updates in .CIA (I want to make them)

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by cearp, Nov 8, 2014.

1. cearp
    OP

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    get them while their hot (OK TOO HOT - LINKS GOT REMOVED, I'LL PUT THEM BACK UP ANOTHER DAY SOON WHEN I GET THEM ALL)

NO REQUESTS, i don't want to spend time on your weird ass japanese game, i'm going to get them ALL, in like a week or so, whenever my big sd card comes.

ok, people are able to PM me now :)
    i make no promises, maybe i made a mistake when i was making the cia etc, i have NOT tested these, but i'm quite sure they will work :) good luck. LET ME KNOW IF THEY WORK.

ok they all work (flipnote maybe not), good, but db heroes 2 was not confirmed, i guess it works though.

they will NOT work in 4.5 cfw, the things that is NOT gw. because the region checks have not been patched (or something like that). it is possible to do something to the cia i share to make it region free, so that's good. i'm not sure how to do it though. - and i guess the cfw will improve and support region free stuff later.

they do NOT work in classic mode, because gateway does not load unsigned cias. so they will not work with retail carts, only in gw mode :)

senran kagura 2 CTR-BNUJ00040000000FB100 2.8.0

diagasso bros p CTR-ANEJ00040000000A0D00 4.8.0

monster hunter 4g CTR-BFGJ000400000011D700 2.2.0

flipnote 3d CTR-JKZJ0004000000056C00 2.9.0

db hereos 2 CTR-BDBJ0004000000120600 2.4.0

-----------------------
    EDIT - GOT IT WORKING!! - thanks a LOT to Friendsxix for the help! (couldn't have done it this year without him) :)

i first made a jp animal crossing 1.1 update, installed it on my eur 3ds.
    i didn't have a dump of the game so i just used gateway classic mode and my jp retail cart.
    the update didn't load...
    i used a different game, youkai watch 1, made a cia of the 1.2 update.
    it worked fine on my eur 3ds in gw mode with the rom :) (i guess the problem before was classic mode)

so yeah, i would happily dump all the jp updates BUT i don't have an sd card big enough yet to hold them all + the xorpads. i will get one eventually. to dump them all, i don't want it to be too time consuming, i want to make it as automated as possible for the 120+ updates.
    so i will be taking requests as to what you want now. :)

ok i'm pretty sure that now, we can install any update we want, as long as a cia exists.

i would happily share all the japanese updates i have downloaded, it would be nice if other people would share their region's updates too.

it is great for people who want to update an out of region game (to play online etc), but cannot because of eshop restricts us.
    it will also be useful for people who either cannot access eshop now (no wifi etc) or in the future (nintendo fixes their security and blocks eshop etc)

i believe i can decrypt my game updates with sd decryptor, i just don't know how to make whatever i get from there, into a cia.
    when decrypting roms was first made public i did decrypt one game, but since then i didn't bother with anything else.
    maybe once i have them decrypted it is just like any other rom, coverting to cia, i am not so sure.

is there any nice help? thanks

MattKimura, davhuit, l13f4k3 and 10 others like this.

2. Vappy

Vappy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 23, 2012
    Sharing update files is probably along the same lines as sharing ROMs, ie. not allowed, since it's still copywrited Nintendo code.

3. cearp
    OP

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    yeah, that's fine, i won't upload them here

4. OrangeFlavored

OrangeFlavored Member

Newcomer
    May 22, 2010
    United States
    I've been wanting to do the same thing with my purchased DLC. Not necessarily to share them but so that I can have them on my hack 3DS. (I have one 3DS XL on newest firmware I have been using for games I bought and one original 3DS on 4.5 I use for Gateway games, recently system transferred all my bought DLC to the Gateway one with the expectation I can somehow decrypt them before moving them back so both 3DSes can have them.)

Anyone who has any ideas how to do this would be nice. I got them decrypted with the xorpads already but not sure what to do after I do this. I tried just sticking the decrypted files into the SD card of the other 3DS but it didn't want to use them (said there was a problem with my SD card when I tried to start the game) so I guess it won't be that easy.

5. mcsdoode

mcsdoode Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 15, 2007
    The Naniwa
    I would love you so, so much if you could somehow release the updates for MH4G!!! That's the only thing missing from Gateway for me!! (Region free e-shop access)

6. Dark Fulgore

Dark Fulgore GBAtemp Regular

Apr 30, 2010
    Brazil
    Belo Horizonte - MG

What does the update adds to the game? Because you can play MH4G online without updating.

7. jkoodo

jkoodo Member

Newcomer
    Aug 25, 2014
    Indonesia
    yes that's true you can play MH4G online without updating but we don't no when there is a new update
    i don't if jpn region pokemon needs an update to play online like us region pokemon
    so yeah it will be nice if updates from japan eshop can be shared

8. mcsdoode

mcsdoode Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 15, 2007
    The Naniwa

Really? :wtf:

I just tried it and it worked! So much hunting to catch up on! Thanks for the info!

9. Super.Nova

Super.Nova GBAtemp Regular

Dec 20, 2009
    Saudi Arabia
    Under Government Suppression
    Phoenix Wright DLCs and I'm forever grateful :bow:

MarkDarkness likes this.
  10. cearp
    OP

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    yeah i read it also works, weird it is not required. although maybe in the future there will be another update that is required. :) you are lucky this time ha
    sure having free dlc would be nice too, but this is not really my aim, updates are free (even though they are still nintendo's stuff)

11. c80n

c80n GBAtemp Regular

Aug 7, 2014
    Venezuela
    This, and Mario Golf World Tour DLC
    I will be FOREVER grateful to whoever do this.

12. Searinox

Searinox <3

Dec 16, 2007
    Romania
    Think this could also work with Themes? They ARE extra data anyway.

13. cearp
    OP

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    yeah maybe... but themes are paid content too :)

14. kane159

kane159 GBAtemp Regular

May 28, 2013
    Taiwan
    will I want to know too ,decrypt is not that hard by using SD_Decryptor_v2,but the thing is i dont know whitch file releate to what update and how to pack iti really want to play some game online with my girl(who have the jp device)on my US device

cearp likes this.
  15. cearp
    OP

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    i'm sure someone will make an easier guide soon :)
    it's possible to do what you want :)

16. Purple_Shyguy

Purple_Shyguy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 8, 2008
    Republic of Ireland
    If you could get this shit working.

Eternally grateful.

Especially since without Senran Kagura 2 patch I cant get past a specific mission. It just freezes.

17. twede86

twede86 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 28, 2003
    United States
    Sandy, UT
    I own a japanese copy of Daigasso band brothers, but I am unable to get any real gameplay out of it because I can't update it. I would be forever greatful for the latest 2.0 patch so I can download songs and actually play my game.

The way it works is it is a music game that only comes loaded with four songs. When you purchase it, they give you access to their servers to download 100 additional songs, but I can't get there without the latest update. :(

Please please please let's try to figure out how to make these updates available.

descac likes this.
  18. descac

descac Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 7, 2014
    United States
    This is a great initiative, I wish I could help in some way.

19. Ericss

Ericss GBAtemp Fan

Sep 1, 2010
    United States
    Have you downloaded all free updates for Japanese games currently available?

20. Kylecito

Kylecito eats warnings for breakfast

May 6, 2009
    Cote d'Ivoire
    You guys should upload it to that one site where the password for the rars is the site's name... and you need to hit a Thank You button for each download.