Psi-hate

GBATemp's Official Psi-Hater
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"regionthree : 3DS region free game on latest firmware"

Smealum just recently announced his region free how to in order to let you finally play out of region games. Some of them work in English too!

"oh also regionthree bypasses gamecard updates entirely. so should let you run majora's mask on your 9.2 ninjhax-compatible console."

His video's description says:
http://twitter.com/smealum

this video shows regionthree (d), a region free game loader for the 3DS. at the moment it works on firmware versions 9.0 through 9.4, though only on 3DS, 3DSXL and 2DS models. this may change in the future.

to get regionthree (and its source code !), head over to https://github.com/smealum/regionthree/ and read the README !

Namodok

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just booted up Monster Hunter 4 on my US 3DS. Still in japanese, but I wasn't expecting it to switch to english.

Would've been cool though.

Psi-hate

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just booted up Monster Hunter 4 on my US 3DS. Still in japanese, but I wasn't expecting it to switch to english.

Would've been cool though.

There can't be an English translation if it was never translated. (At least that's how I think it works.)

Psi-hate

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gateway Ultra's page. Smea didn't want to give out the link so you gotta look yourself.

renes2

~New World~
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Great Workshops that mean every time i wanna play an Other Region game, i must start this?Or Do i need to Start it just once?

Psi-hate

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great Workshops that mean every time i wanna play an Other Region game, i must start this?Or Do i need to Start it just once?

Unfortunately yes but it isn't too complicated. As long as you have the webpage bookmarked, you can do it in a matter of seconds. It's well worth the wait.

gokuguy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if this exploit could be used for an update to Ninjhax (keep in mind this is coming from someone that really hasn't looked into Ninjhax or this new regionthree thing).

TUWieZ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awesome. Would be amazing if they could get the launcher to boot older blacklisted flash carts as well as region locked carts B)

orochi115

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
It's still a shame to require Gateway website as one step of the instructions. Why not host it on Ninjhax website?

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
alright, i have to share my politics here because the hypocrisy is starting to bother me. before i even begin my rant just note that i personally am not in support of piracy and think that smealum is a very talented hacker. I love the work he has done. But this is getting rediculous.
  • Go to Gateway's exploit page (not linking directly to it here because not a fan of their whole piracy thing they've got going)
Credits

• All ROP and code written on this repo written by smea
  • ns:s region free booting trick found by yellows8
  • Neatly packaged spider exploit by Gateway
  • Bond697, sm, yifanlu for working on the GW payload so I wouldn't have to.
  • Myria for helping with testing.

This whole anti-piracy thing with this group has kept them from sharing some exploits and delaying others for intensely long periods of time. time that could have been used by other developers to create possibly amazing applications/tools. some that may not exist at all from a softmod standpoint due to purposeful limitations of the exploit.

that's one thing, and something i could keep my mouth shut about. but to use the work of another hacker entity (that you so openly despise) for your own means, and repackage it under your own 'righteous' brand is another. the work that this company has done for their own income has been stolen and reproduced. even though they make their money from unethical means, its still a form of piracy.

it's like saying that you don't condone the selling or use of crack cocaine, but you break into a dealers house and steal his drug money to make bongs for smoking weed.

if your going to hack, hack. do what you do. but please stop coating everything in this blatant hypocritical false morality. reverse engineering is just as frowned upon by companies (and effects it's income as equally) as piracy. you are no better. (using the work of your own devil, might make you worse ethically).

Reactions: Space Monkey

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
However, it's still an exploit. Further investigating could lead to something new.
It doesn't look like a particularly useful exploit for running unsigned code. Unless the DLP app has access to other things that can in turn lead to further exploitation. But system apps have the bare minimum of permissions so I wouldn't expect anything more to come from this directly.

zdgr4ye5

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Omg, awesome ! Just started moster hunter 4 jap on my euro 2ds! Pls add new 3ds support as soon as possible! (I have Japanese new 3ds LL monster hunter 4 edition)

Aurora Wright

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
However, it's still an exploit. Further investigating could lead to something new.
You realize the "gw exploit" is actually composed of at least 4 different exploits? (WebKit one allows to write ROP chains with the privileges of the browser, with this (1st) you use gspwn via rop (2nd) to gain code execution (not just rop anymore) inside the browser. With that and gspwn again, they trigger an arm11 kernel exploit (3rd). Then they trigger a still undisclosed arm9 kernel exploit (4th). The kernel exploits were probably patched, this is built with what is left of the "gw exploit", to get code execution inside Download Play and use it to just launch the cart (it apparently has the required permissions to do it)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM