Region Conversion of Animal crossing City Folk Save

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by sio, Nov 26, 2008.

Nov 26, 2008
  1. sio

Newcomer sio Member

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Many UK Animal Crossing fans have got their hands on a copy of Animal Crossing City Folk (NTSC-U) for the Wii only to be disappointed that you couldn't transfer your Wild World character (and catalogue) from a PAL DS cartridge.

However, I've been able to convert an AC:CF NTSC-U save to a NTSC-J or PAL save. Once converted you will be able to use the European AC:LGTTC suitcase to transfer your old character into the game.

Process of save conversion (Similar to SSBB by WeltallZero):

1) Make a backup of your NTSC-U AC:CF save game with Wii Save Extractor (It'll save it on your SD as: WIISAVES/RUUE)
    2) Make an Animal Crossing save game with another region disc (NTSC-J or PAL) and use the Wii Save Extractor in the same way as step 1. (It'll save it on your SD as: WIISAVES/RUUX, where X is dependent on the region, P=PAL, J=JAP)
    4) Make a backup of both saves on your PC
    5) On the SD card transfer RVFOREST.DAT (& Optional WC24DL.VFF) from your RUUE save to your RUUX save.
    6) Use Wii Save Installer with the AC disc corresponding to the modified RUUX save
    7) Play the game with the new region disc and you will find that your village, player characters and villagers are there from your old region.

Animal Crossing City Folk save file list:

RVFOREST.DAT -> Data of the village, items and inhabitants.
    WC24DL.VFF -> UNKNOWN, Going purely off the name it suggests that it contains infomation that has been downloaded by Wii Connect 24 since you last saved (Letters from Nintendo and Friends)

Old (Seen Before in SSBB, thanks again to WeltallZero):
    BANNER.BIN -> Savegame banner. Pretty much irrelevant.
    WC24PUBK.MOD -> Apparently related to WiiConnect. Identical in all cases; irrelevant.
    FILELIST.DAT -> Savegame file list. Identicall in all cases and therefore irrelevant.

***Note: I moved everything apart from BANNER.BIN and it works perfectly even Friend Codes and Friends are the same and WiFi works.***
  2. Egonny

Member Egonny GBAtemp Fan

Sep 23, 2008
    Brussels, Belgium
    Seems cool, but does it work with backups too?
  3. fiveighteen

Member fiveighteen High Hopes and Low Expectations

Jun 30, 2008
    United States
    Yes, it would. Backups are the same as the original discs... except they're "backups", "copies", etc.

Nice find, sio. This will help a lot of people out.
  4. Livin in a box

Member Livin in a box Livin' in a cardboard box

Jul 18, 2008
    United Kingdom
    Yes, just what I needed! Thanks! Now I can get that PAL version and see if people can come to my town...
  5. Fis2

Newcomer Fis2 Member

Aug 5, 2007
    United States
    And what about a simple letter change in extracted save?
    For example from NTSC U to PAL E:
    - Extract save form NTSC U named RUUE.
    - Rename it to RUUP.
    - With Wiisave Installer and PAL AC Disk put modified save into the Wii.

Would it work?