Region changer is unsafe

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by plasticpie, Jul 31, 2008.

Jul 31, 2008

Region changer is unsafe by plasticpie at 4:32 PM (12,175 Views / 0 Likes) 119 replies

1. plasticpie
    OP

Newcomer plasticpie Advanced Member

United States
    Marcan has warned against using Waninkoko's Region Changer due to the high risk of bricking your console. As a result of him releasing numerous un-safe apps, Marcan, Bushing, and the rest of the Wiibrew devs will no longer be sharing information with Waninkoko.

News Source: ElOtroLado (Spanish)

2. -lildeemo-

Member -lildeemo- GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    um excuse me no one has bricked so thats bullshit

3. jaxxster

Member jaxxster The Heretic

United Kingdom
    still tho, its kinda a pointless app.

4. -lildeemo-

United Kingdom
    na mate it aint... its good for japan wiis and vc wads so u may think its pointless yeh okay for you but not for others so keep opinions like that to your self

5. rishard10212

Newcomer rishard10212 Member

United States
    I love how the elite's will not tell one that he is doing wrong, instead, lets not tell him anything. Even though wanin released something that is deemed harmless, he also put a disclaimer.

6. truballr

Member truballr GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Team twiizer never release good things, its always waninkoko.(i know they made homebrew possible)

they give wanin all these codes but they bash him when he releases useful things

7. sidneyyoung

Member sidneyyoung GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Bermuda
    Bushing and his phoneys have serious issues. Didn't their mum ever tell them, "Play nice!"

8. linkinworm

Member linkinworm GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    yea i have been useing this since the 1st beta version and havent had any problems must of region changed about 50 times, downgraded about 30 times, am i bricked no, anyway wanin is making the app safer as we speak

9. jinxvorheeze

Member jinxvorheeze GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    This app is not pointless. It allows users like Jan777 who have a japanese console play WiiWare games which default language by a region check in english rather than Japanese.

I personally think Waninkoko is the Dark Alex of the Wii. I appreciate bushing and the information he has given us but.... Waninkoko is the first to try and really push the Wii to its limits.

- Glad to see the scene in full form recently. Downgrader, custom IOS, Region Changer. The scene was starting to slow down there for a while, hopefully it will stay active for a while so I have more to talk about than just PS3 homebrew over at QJ.net [​IMG] Cheers

10. -lildeemo-

United Kingdom
    exactly iv been messing about with it upgrading downgrading changing region and i havent bricked once

11. linkinworm

United Kingdom
    and lets you play out of region games other than WW and VC

12. jinxvorheeze

United States
    Yes, you are right :facepalm: lol don't know how I left that out! [​IMG]

13. thinkoutsidetheb

Newcomer thinkoutsidetheb Advanced Member

Canada
    Lack of documentation; yet so many users jump the gun to download/utilize whatever *.* comes out for Wii hackables that they think is applicable to their system or has some sort of coolness factor. IMHO a lack of titles/applications to fulfill ones time on the console has people branching out for a breath of fresh air.

I loosely quote "Idle hands are the devils playground"

*side note* Nobody read the disclaimer(s) anymore? Hell Nintendo spams us everytime we turn on our console.

..guy even gives a Kudos in his readmes. Who'd he leave out?

14. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    Safe or not, I agree with Marcan when it says the applications are given without any explanation.
    I like knowing what I'm running and what it changes or affects.

His apps are more like "run it and just wait it does the job".
    I assume majorities just want tools like that, but for minorities who want details it might be good to make a technical readme or a site like hackmii to explain what he is doing and discovering.

For example, Bushing explained what was the fix to TP hack, and how he corrected it.

15. linkinworm

United Kingdom
    well all of waninkokos apps have been tested to the maximum to make sure they wont brick or anything, its not that he just makes something then releases it, theres usualy about 10-20 beta versions. to fix even the smallest bug.

16. Gus122000

Member Gus122000 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Antarctica
    Not really. I have a JPN wii and there really is no point for me to switch the region at all. I have a freeloader and what i can't freeload i can use trucha and pretty much any wad i wanted worked fine after using freethewads. The only thing i could see this being useful for is if someone wants to buy something from a PAL/N.A. marketplace but the app can't even do that. So in other words this is a pretty pointless app

17. jinxvorheeze

United States
    After what bushing did with the DVD read security hole, by sending it to Nintendo I wont be so swayed to forgive him. He is so worried that "his projects" will be blocked by Nintendo that he just gives the rest of the developers the middle finger and sells out. I don't care what anyone wants to call it, by sending Ninty information on a security flaw that could have been useful he's a sell out.

18. -lildeemo-

United Kingdom
    are u japanese do u understand half of ure options no i didnt think so

19. linkinworm

United Kingdom
    well i can load all my imports useing this dont have a modchip so i cant trucha anything, and i have updated MIOS so i cant use freeloader for gamecube, so yea its pretty usefull, your one person, loads of people find this usefull, its like saying that chipd nand replacement is useless, but no body said it was useless everyone was like WOW OMG,

20. Gus122000

Member Gus122000 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Antarctica
    You're such a failfag, I got my Japanese wii before i knew any Japanese. It's not like it even matters, you tell me how much time do you spend on the wii dashboard going threw your settings ?. I can understand Japanese now,but still srsly who cares of the damn system language. stfu noob