TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Not sure there's much to say here. Reggie's got a point, especially with XBox and PS3 coming out with their own motion control variants.

As for everyone else mentioning Nintendo not being the first to make a touch screen handheld, etc, that's true, but I don't think that means Sony and Microsoft aren't copying Nintendo. Think about it: Sure, Nintendo might not be the first to create a touch screen handheld, etc, but they're the ones that, after doing it, got looked at by M$ and Sony for inspiration. Nintendo popularized some of these concepts (even if they didn't invent it), the same way Apple popularized the touch screen smartphone (but didn't invent it), if that makes sense.

undyingforce

Trophies
Website
club.ign.com
XP
Country
United States
To me, it doesnt matter if Nintendo invented or used exsiting tech in their products. The point here is Nintendo keeps the industry moving with the technology they use. Other companies see Nintendo's success with the inovations they use and incorporate it into their products. It's flaterying. An example of this would be motion controls. If Nintendo didn't include this with the Wii then you wouldnt have seen Move or Kinect. The gaming industry needs Nintendo.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
To me, it doesnt matter if Nintendo invented or used exsiting tech in their products. The point here is Nintendo keeps the industry moving with the technology they use. Other companies see Nintendo's success with the inovations they use and incorporate it into their products. It's flaterying. An example of this would be motion controls. If Nintendo didn't include this with the Wii then you wouldnt have seen Move or Kinect. The gaming industry needs Nintendo.
Not sure the industry "needs" Nintendo, but I definitely agree with your other points.

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure the industry "needs" Nintendo, but I definitely agree with your other points.

Needs is quite a strong word but think of it this way. If you only saw Sony and M$ having their little war of who's got the more powerful system and they were always nothing but a more powerful version of the last one, people would eventually realize that the only thing different is a few numbers that even most "core" gamers couldn't give less of a damn about. Now, I'm not saying they WOULD do this but its what they've done since 1999.
Now maybe I'm totally wrong about this but, I kind of also feel that the DS even showed the world that the touch screen isn't a bad idea and may have even inspired the iPhone (let's be honest, it really came out of nowhere) and in turn inspired Smartphones and Tablets. But that's all more of a IMO then anything.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I for one am glad that people copy and improve on things.... I think the 2600 was great but I wouldn't give up my Nintendo Wii or my PS3 for one.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
A bit too much "Nintendo (= Me/I/My) does everything before anyone, let them weep because they only copy"-talk IMHO. Good thing we have the PS3 and the 360. Otherwise we'd be seeing online gaming in about a decade or so if it was Nintendo's development in the field that would take us there. Deal with it. Nintendo has made innovations: True. Nintendo has made great games: True. Nintendo has created and innovated everything in the gaming industry: False. This gen has shown Nintendo making great products, but certainly they haven't been the main stream in the past with their innovations. Wii was the reason why they managed to succeed in TV based consoles. Handhelds are another matter, since Nintendo has basically dominated the handheld market since the Gameboy era.

Also do note that the iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad are the ones that drive sales for quite a few types of gaming options. And all of them are blatant copies of different products from the past.. Deal with it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 🫂 +1