Reggie Fils-Aime talks about Metroid Federation Force and fan backlash

metroid_prime_federation_force_a.jpg

After the dismayed outcry of Metroid fans during E3, Nintendo of America's president, Reggie Fils-Amie stepped up to discuss the criticism of the new "Metroid" game. He likened the problems of "Metroid Prime: Federation Force", to what happened when "Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker" was announced, back in the day.

Here's what I would state: we know what our fans want. We will also push the envelope in developing something that we know is high-quality and that we know will deliver in the marketplace. The best example I can give you of this, and I think you will appreciate it, is Legend of Zelda Wind Waker. Remember when that art style was first shown. The uproar from the Zelda community was intensely negative. If there had been social media then, there probably would have been a petition to make that game go away.

...So, the game is developed, becomes one of the most beloved games of all time, one of the most highly-rated games of all time, so I use that example to say: 'We know what we're doing, trust us, play the game and then we can have a conversation.

Look, we know that the fans want a straight Samus Aran game. We also know that the best way to launch a game like that is to surprise and delight them, to give them a launch date, in an environment like this let them play it vs. what other companies do which is to announce a project that you may not see for five, six years. It's just not the way we do things. We know the community wants to see a straight-up Metroid game. We know it.

:arrow: SOURCE

He states that Nintendo knows that fans want a new Metroid game. Maybe there's still a little hope for a new fully-fledged entry to the franchise.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
At the very least give it better graphics than DS because despite the not so Metroid-ish to it, it looks like it could be a fun game to play. Kids are definitely gonna love it!

Reactions: Deleted User

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the game will be fun. I don't mind that it's in the metroid universe. But it's not a side-story, it's not a spin-off. It's an official entry into metroid prime lore (Which is an apparently separate timeline from the mass of puss that is Other M) and part of the main franchise. Please correct me if I'm wrong on that point. But really, that's the problem I have with it.

Even weird entries into zelda, like the four swords, still retained that zelda style and feel to them. They were very different, and emphasized different things, but they were zelda. Imagine if hyrule warriors had been the next main zelda game, and that was the zelda game they'd been working on for so long.

I want my metroid to feel like a metroid game. Mess with it all you like, so far as it has a feeling of sincerely unnerving isolation with exploration and discovery. This is a shooter with the metroid name, this is not a metroid game.

Last edited by osaka35,

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know what he's saying, but I think Wind Waker was a poor comparison. It's not the art style that annoyed me about the new "Metroid" game, it's that the gameplay looks nothing like a Metroid game. It would be like if there hasn't been a traditional Zelda game for almost ten years and then they just decided to come out with Hyrule Warriors with the Legend of Zelda name on the title. Other than that, I understand. It's probably not going to be that bad, but I still want a traditional Metroid game. Both a Prime and a sidescroller.

Ulieq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wii U era has ended, Nintendo will not release any Wii U only games. I fully expect the next Zelda to be exactly like Twilight Princess, and come out on the Nintendo Nxt first, then port back to the Wii U.

RichardLaughter_

Trophies
XP
lately Nintendo's Pr hasn't been that great. Normally I can at least see both sides if not completely agree with Nintendo, but recently everything seems like a one sided battle on the side of fans.

Reactions: genericuser

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
If the federation force people would have a better design than they do now, it would be an improvement. Then it could be a proper side story to the franchise, what happens in the world of Metroid besides the actions of Samus Aran? But when they only look like fat little kiddie toys, the whole thing falls apart. I know it's shallow, but that's how I feel. Then I'm not a huge Co-op fan either, but still.

Reactions: SpaceJump

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
They probably should have given Reggie more than a couple hours notice to slap together that chunk of bullshit. Might've made it a bit more believable.

Reading between the lines it seems like Nintendo realized what fans actually wanted and that there still IS a Metroid fanbase to cater to, so they don't have to whore out the name and might actually begin developing a new proper Metroid game. We can hope, anyway. Nintendo isn't well known for listening to or understanding its fans.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
They probably should have given Reggie more than a couple hours notice to slap together that chunk of bullshit. Might've made it a bit more believable.

Reading between the lines it seems like Nintendo realized what fans actually wanted and that there still IS a Metroid fanbase to cater to, so they don't have to whore out the name and might actually begin developing a new proper Metroid game. We can hope, anyway. Nintendo isn't well known for listening to or understanding its fans.
But fans has to. Oh the irony.

D1fHc8D.jpg

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wii U era has ended, Nintendo will not release any Wii U only games. I fully expect the next Zelda to be exactly like Twilight Princess, and come out on the Nintendo Nxt first, then port back to the Wii U.

I don't, every Nintendo console and handheld has at least one exclusive Zelda title, I have no doubt the new one will be a Wii U exclusive.

Vipera

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At the very least give it better graphics than DS because despite the not so Metroid-ish to it, it looks like it could be a fun game to play. Kids are definitely gonna love it!
... What? The game looks better than Hunters. Just because it looks pixellated on a screen larger than a 3ds doesn't mean it's inferior.

MarioFanatic64

The guy who does things
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
-Wind Waker was just a change in art style, the Zelda formula was intact.
-I'm not sure you can even call this thing a Metroid game.

"You'll like what we tell you to like", was basically the point of this statement.

Appreciation of Reggie--

D

Deleted User

Windwaker got a lot of backlash, sure, But Wind Waker still had proportionate characters, I don't recall a 5 year old Ganondorf.
Y'know that deformed "kids" mode some Rare games on N64 and Beast Wars Transmetals had that you never used because it looked so retarded and ruined the game? This is exactly that.
It doesn't even use the same style of textures as Wind Waker, so nothing in this is comparable to Wind Waker

Reactions: Metoroid0

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
i don't care about OLD games. and reg claims he knows what fans want well his way off if he think that metroid game is even close to what we wanted! the game looks like a JOKE it feels like nintendo is trolling us!

Last edited by Bladexdsl,
Reactions: Metoroid0

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: @SylverReZ