Reggie Fils-Aime talks about Metroid Federation Force and fan backlash

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by Chary, Jun 24, 2015.

1. Chary
    OP

Chary Never sleeps

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    [​IMG]

After the dismayed outcry of Metroid fans during E3, Nintendo of America's president, Reggie Fils-Amie stepped up to discuss the criticism of the new "Metroid" game. He likened the problems of "Metroid Prime: Federation Force", to what happened when "Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker" was announced, back in the day.

:arrow: SOURCE

He states that Nintendo knows that fans want a new Metroid game. Maybe there's still a little hope for a new fully-fledged entry to the franchise.

2. Hyro-Sama

Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Oct 25, 2009
    After Earth
    [​IMG]

This is total bullshit. Just give us a Metroid game straight up, Reggie. You know we want it so give it to us. No conversation needed. Quit this beating around the bush nonsense.

codezer0, VMM, nxwing and 4 others like this.
  3. WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    At the very least give it better graphics than DS because despite the not so Metroid-ish to it, it looks like it could be a fun game to play. Kids are definitely gonna love it!

Tomato Hentai likes this.
  4. osaka35

osaka35 Instrucional Designer

Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    I think the game will be fun. I don't mind that it's in the metroid universe. But it's not a side-story, it's not a spin-off. It's an official entry into metroid prime lore (Which is an apparently separate timeline from the mass of puss that is Other M) and part of the main franchise. Please correct me if I'm wrong on that point. But really, that's the problem I have with it.

Even weird entries into zelda, like the four swords, still retained that zelda style and feel to them. They were very different, and emphasized different things, but they were zelda. Imagine if hyrule warriors had been the next main zelda game, and that was the zelda game they'd been working on for so long.

I want my metroid to feel like a metroid game. Mess with it all you like, so far as it has a feeling of sincerely unnerving isolation with exploration and discovery. This is a shooter with the metroid name, this is not a metroid game.

Last edited by osaka35, Jun 24, 2015
  5. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    I know what he's saying, but I think Wind Waker was a poor comparison. It's not the art style that annoyed me about the new "Metroid" game, it's that the gameplay looks nothing like a Metroid game. It would be like if there hasn't been a traditional Zelda game for almost ten years and then they just decided to come out with Hyrule Warriors with the Legend of Zelda name on the title. Other than that, I understand. It's probably not going to be that bad, but I still want a traditional Metroid game. Both a Prime and a sidescroller.

MarkDarkness and Metoroid0 like this.
  6. Ulieq

Ulieq GBAtemp Fan

Jan 14, 2014
    United States
    Los Angeles, California
    Wii U era has ended, Nintendo will not release any Wii U only games. I fully expect the next Zelda to be exactly like Twilight Princess, and come out on the Nintendo Nxt first, then port back to the Wii U.

7. RichardLaughter_

RichardLaughter_ GBAtemp Regular

Sep 11, 2012
    lately Nintendo's Pr hasn't been that great. Normally I can at least see both sides if not completely agree with Nintendo, but recently everything seems like a one sided battle on the side of fans.

genericuser likes this.
  8. Issac

Issac I

Global Moderator
    GBAtemp Patron
    Issac is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 10, 2004
    Sweden
    Sweden
    If the federation force people would have a better design than they do now, it would be an improvement. Then it could be a proper side story to the franchise, what happens in the world of Metroid besides the actions of Samus Aran? But when they only look like fat little kiddie toys, the whole thing falls apart. I know it's shallow, but that's how I feel. Then I'm not a huge Co-op fan either, but still.

SpaceJump likes this.
  9. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    They probably should have given Reggie more than a couple hours notice to slap together that chunk of bullshit. Might've made it a bit more believable.

Reading between the lines it seems like Nintendo realized what fans actually wanted and that there still IS a Metroid fanbase to cater to, so they don't have to whore out the name and might actually begin developing a new proper Metroid game. We can hope, anyway. Nintendo isn't well known for listening to or understanding its fans.

10. RichardLaughter_

RichardLaughter_ GBAtemp Regular

Sep 11, 2012
  11. VinsCool

VinsCool Delusional

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    But fans has to. Oh the irony.

Warning: Spoilers inside!

12. duffmmann

duffmmann GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 11, 2009
    United States
    I don't, every Nintendo console and handheld has at least one exclusive Zelda title, I have no doubt the new one will be a Wii U exclusive.

13. Vipera

Vipera Banned

Banned
    Aug 22, 2013
    United States
    Away from this shithole
    ... What? The game looks better than Hunters. Just because it looks pixellated on a screen larger than a 3ds doesn't mean it's inferior.

14. MarioFanatic64

MarioFanatic64 The guy who does things

Sep 13, 2009
    -Wind Waker was just a change in art style, the Zelda formula was intact.
    -I'm not sure you can even call this thing a Metroid game.

"You'll like what we tell you to like", was basically the point of this statement.

Appreciation of Reggie--

Metoroid0 and Subtle Demise like this.
  15. Terenigma

Terenigma Terenigma everywhere

Nov 10, 2008
    Earth
    Reggie: Trust us. We know what we're doing.

[​IMG]

Last edited by Terenigma, Jun 24, 2015
  16. Snugglevixen

Snugglevixen Fox Princess

Feb 17, 2015
    New Zealand
    My den
    Windwaker got a lot of backlash, sure, But Wind Waker still had proportionate characters, I don't recall a 5 year old Ganondorf.
    Y'know that deformed "kids" mode some Rare games on N64 and Beast Wars Transmetals had that you never used because it looked so retarded and ruined the game? This is exactly that.
    It doesn't even use the same style of textures as Wind Waker, so nothing in this is comparable to Wind Waker

Metoroid0 likes this.
  17. Dartz150

Dartz150 GBATemp Official Lolicon Onii-chan™

May 5, 2010
    Mexico
    On a Strange Journey
    I'll maintain my current position about this: stay neutral until we can try the final game, maybe it will be shit, or maybe it will be completely awesome, who knows...

Metoroid0, NEP and keven3477 like this.
  18. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    sure you do reggie...
    [​IMG]

Metoroid0 likes this.
  19. VinsCool

VinsCool Delusional

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World

20. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    i don't care about OLD games. and reg claims he knows what fans want well his way off if he think that metroid game is even close to what we wanted! the game looks like a JOKE it feels like nintendo is trolling us!

Last edited by Bladexdsl, Jun 24, 2015
    Metoroid0 likes this.