regarding stuck pixels on tv, can they spread eventually ? (purchased a lg 4k)

leonmagnus99

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
Hey guys, i recently got this 4k SUHD LG tv.
it is the model SJ850v (also known as SJ8500).

overall it is a very good tv, especially for my gaming needs with low input lag on Game mode.

but the gray uniformity could be better. (has mild clouding on black screens.)

but what really bothers me the most now is, while i was cleaning it abit with a microfibrecloth, i noticed this tiny 1 dot stuck pixel.

it is multi colored (RGB) and i am afraid that this could spread and i would want to avoid that.

is there a chance of it spreading ?

(note : i had my n3ds xl since over 2 years now and it came with a stuck pixel and it did not spread, but tvs are different so i wanted to make sure.)
because the tv is not cheap, paid 1000$ for it.

so if it is not safe to keep it , i will go and replace it.

leonmagnus99

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
Stuck pixels don't spread.
But try and take it back to the store, see if you can swap it?

thought so !
thanks for the reply mate.

in case no one was gonna reply i was planning to quote you with your username and a few others i know from here ! XD

good to know that it dont spread, my n3ds xl (i know different screen tech etc.) but the stuck pixel has remained the same over the 2 years and did not spread.

alright buddy, so here's the thing , the LG store from my town (the guys there are very nice) the warranty is legit i guess.
because well, first i bought a model for 850$ and took it home (the model was lg uj650v/or also known as uj6500)

and the panel of that thing was just frikkin awful , the 4k image quality was superb but the panel just straight out awful, terrible gray uniformity ,the blacks looked cloudy grey , i could not bear it.

so i went on ahead and called them told them about it, they said sure you can come swap it with another.
and then so i went on ahead and got this SJ850, the panel is 80% better than the previous one.

the blacks are much more black, very little bit greyish clouds overall.
so overall a very good image quality with very low input lag, so it is ideal for gaming.

but then there was this Stuck pixel !!

i could tell them about it, but i am abit too shy, i might be seen as some sort of annoyance XD

and btw. one more thing, they happen to have 1 lg OLED tv, it is a 4k Oled 55' and costs around the same as the 2nd tv i got now which is the SJ850.
the SJ850 costs 1000$, the oled 1100$.

but well according to him it is not the finest of OLED tv.
and plus it is curved, i am ocd and when i see the curve i come to hate it.

so i am actually torn on what to do, if i go ahead and swap this SJ850 for the same model i maybe might get rid of that stuck pixel, but who know maybe the grey uniformity will not be as good as the one i have right now.

what to do.......

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I almost wanted to say "get the OLED one" but ew, curved screens.
Well, you could gently massage the screen to get the pixel to be unstuck (tho this can cause more damage if done improperly) or try a pixel fixer.

Anyway, about the colours, any LED and LCD panel and whatever won't display true colours.
OLED and AMOLED are pretty much the only panels that display true black n what not.

The colours in a OLED panel will always reign supreme over LED/LCD.

But eh, I'd say try pixel fixing it.
Sometimes it does make pixels unstuck.

Reactions: leonmagnus99

leonmagnus99

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
OLED and AMOLED are pretty much the only panels that display true black n what not.
yeah but trust me there are even alot of OLED tvs that have terrible grey uniformity , where blacks look grey.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I'd say try pixel fixing it.
you must mean those funny looking videos, i will try to run one on youtube from tv.
but i doubt it will get it unstuck.
but worth a try.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
yeah but trust me there are even alot of OLED tvs that have terrible grey uniformity , where blacks look grey.

you must mean those funny looking videos, i will try to run one on youtube from tv.
but worth a try.
For it to have the best chance of working, you should leave the pixel fixer running for at least 24 hrs.
It sometimes works, sometimes not.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

but worth a try.

Hmm, also depends on the recording you play on it.
I've been playing a lot of videos on me phone and Vita and yeh, some videos indeed look greyish.

leonmagnus99

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
For it to have the best chance of working, you should leave the pixel fixer running for at least 24 hrs.
no wonder i see many of them are 12-24h.

i wont run it for that long, screw that 1 stuck pixel.
it is 0% visible in general usage.

i will run the seizure video for only 30minutes.
i don't want to torment this beautiful tv.

btw. guys, it is the first time i got to use a 4k tv myself, this one does not have the usual component input on the back.
it has this tiny green input where you stick the adapter (converter) that came with the tv.

i usually use component for my ps2 slim (yes i still sometimes want to play my old school rpgs!)
and anyway here's the thing, the adapter/converter has this green 3.5 mm jack and on the bottom it has 3 sockets?

like they are green/blue/red for you to use with the component cable of your ps2/wii etc.
so i stick them in , and then plug it onto the tv.

Picture comes up just fine !! and looks good, but there is no sound..

so it is basically like this, there is no socket for the other 2 heads of the component cable, the white and red.
now i have no idea how to get the sound to work.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
I almost wanted to say "get the OLED one" but ew, curved screens.
Well, you could gently massage the screen to get the pixel to be unstuck (tho this can cause more damage if done improperly) or try a pixel fixer.

Anyway, about the colours, any LED and LCD panel and whatever won't display true colours.

The colours in a OLED panel will always reign supreme over LED/LCD.

But eh, I'd say try pixel fixing it.
Colors on LCD and OLED should look the same.

Hey guys, i recently got this 4k SUHD LG tv.
it is the model SJ850v (also known as SJ8500).

overall it is a very good tv, especially for my gaming needs with low input lag on Game mode.

but the gray uniformity could be better. (has mild clouding on black screens.)

but what really bothers me the most now is, while i was cleaning it abit with a microfibrecloth, i noticed this tiny 1 dot stuck pixel.

it is multi colored (RGB) and i am afraid that this could spread and i would want to avoid that.

is there a chance of it spreading ?

(note : i had my n3ds xl since over 2 years now and it came with a stuck pixel and it did not spread, but tvs are different so i wanted to make sure.)
because the tv is not cheap, paid 1000$ for it.

so if it is not safe to keep it , i will go and replace it.
I would say exchange it for a new one without the dead pixel. You are paying lots of money for it. So you should get a non defect one.

For an IPS pannel your SJ8500 is in the higher ranking when it comes to back levels.
Though blacks are still not as good as a VA panel. Black uniformity is poor. And Gray uniformity is average.
Usually black uniformity issues is more noticeable on an IPS display but your model had one of the worst.
Turning on Local Dimming can help with some of the uniformity issues but you'll still have some of that blooming.

Last edited by SG854,

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Colors on LCD and OLED should look the same.

I would say exchange it for a new one without the dead pixel. You are paying lots of money for it. So you should get a non defect one.

For an IPS pannel your SJ8500 is in the higher ranking when it comes to back levels.
Though blacks are still not as good as a VA panel. Black uniformity is poor. And Gray uniformity is average.
Usually black uniformity issues is more noticeable on an IPS display but your model had one of the worst.
Turning on Local Dimming can help with some of the uniformity issues but you'll still have some of that blooming.

Difference between OLED and LCD/LED is clearly visable.
Contrast is much much better on OLED.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Difference between OLED and LCD/LED is clearly visable.
Contrast is much much better on OLED.
Contrast only mostly matters when your viewing in a dark to pitch black environment.
Viewing content in a brighter room and with reflections with ambient light will make blacks differences less noticeable.

With my LED TV in my room blacks show a bit light seeping through when its pitch black.
But when I turn on the lights or view it in the day time, blacks appear black.

leonmagnus99

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq

yeah true, but it is not a dead pixel.

it is a stuck pixel.
and about the blooming that is true too, but it is not too much.
it is defintely bearable.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Contrast only mostly matters when your viewing in a dark to pitch black environment.
Viewing content in a brighter room and with reflections with ambient light will make blacks differences less noticeable.

With my LED TV in my room blacks show a bit light seeping through when its pitch black.
But when I turn on the lights or view it in the day time, blacks appear black.

Even in daylight, OLED is much more superior.
You can deny it by saying sufficient ambient light will bleed it out but it doesn't change the fact that OLED is superior.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Even in daylight, OLED is much more superior.
You can deny it by saying sufficient ambient light will bleed it out but it doesn't change the fact that OLED is superior.
Colors on both LCD and OLED should look the same when properly calibrated to industry standards.
One should not look more colorful then the other. They should look the same. Thats the point of even having standards.
Is so that your content and colors appear the same no matter what screen your viewing on, to keep your color work consistent.

Modern LCD's are now good enough to produce decent contrast.
Contrast only matters in dark scenes and when viewing in a dark environment.

My CRT produces much better contrast with their deeper blacks than my LCD but they both look the same picture wise.

Last edited by SG854,

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
and btw. one more thing, they happen to have 1 lg OLED tv, it is a 4k Oled 55' and costs around the same as the 2nd tv i got now which is the SJ850.
the SJ850 costs 1000$, the oled 1100$.

but well according to him it is not the finest of OLED tv.
and plus it is curved, i am ocd and when i see the curve i come to hate it.

so i am actually torn on what to do, if i go ahead and swap this SJ850 for the same model i maybe might get rid of that stuck pixel, but who know maybe the grey uniformity will not be as good as the one i have right now.

what to do.......
Whats the specific model of the OLED?
If you are considering an OLED for its blacks. Contrast isn't the only factor in picture quality.
How much HDR coverage is another factor to consider. Even the best OLED's can't display full HDR coverage.
And there are LCD's that perfrom just as good or even better than some OLED's.

Here's some information on Contrast if you are considering an OLED.
https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/picture-quality/contrast-ratio

You won't notice much difference on Bright scenes and stuff with Bright Colorful Content.
There's even someone that asked in the questions why would Microsoft choose a low contrast display to show off their graphics for their video games.
And they answered its because in a bright show floor setting you wont notice the poorer contrast. And they choose it for its wider viewing angle and good input lag. So when choosing your TV it depends on your viewing environment.

damn, now i found another stuck pixel..

there are 2 stuck pixels.
had either not seen or noticed the 2nd one, or it may have just appeared..?
I would say just replace it. Try to run one of those stuck pixel picture remover first for a while.

leonmagnus99

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
I would say just replace it. Try to run one of those stuck pixel picture remover first for a while.
hey mate, the 2nd stuck pixel is kind of only visible when i look at it from the sides.
looking straight onto it, i cant see it much.

but when i look at it abit from the side angles, i can then see it, very tiny greenish pixel.

whereas the first stuck pixel i found is visible when i just look at it straight and well it looks bigger than the one i found only recently.

edit: about replacing it, i don't know if i should to be honest.
i have the feeling the 2nd set might have worse grey uniformity/edge bleeding. (btw. mayhap you already know about the issues of the SJ850, the bottom side has that bleeding effect).

the oled model they have is a 1080p i was wrong, it was not a 4k oled.
and it is curved so meh, not an option.

the one i have now is pretty good for gaming, i am sure i will get used to that blooming effect (it is very mild compared to the uj650 model).
and i will forget about the stuck pixel and the other very tiny stuck pixel very soon.

so i might just keep it *sigh*

Last edited by leonmagnus99,

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
hey mate, the 2nd stuck pixel is kind of only visible when i look at it from the sides.
looking straight onto it, i cant see it much.

but when i look at it abit from the side angles, i can then see it, very tiny greenish pixel.

whereas the first stuck pixel i found is visible when i just look at it straight and well it looks bigger than the one i found only recently.

edit: about replacing it, i don't know if i should to be honest.
i have the feeling the 2nd set might have worse grey uniformity/edge bleeding. (btw. mayhap you already know about the issues of the SJ850, the bottom side has that bleeding effect).

the oled model they have is a 1080p i was wrong, it was not a 4k oled.
and it is curved so meh, not an option.

the one i have now is pretty good for gaming, i am sure i will get used to that blooming effect (it is very mild compared to the uj650 model).
and i will forget about the stuck pixel and the other very tiny stuck pixel very soon.

so i might just keep it *sigh*
Do you have the option to view the display before you buy? To power it on and see if it has any stuck pixels.
I guess your going to have to get use to it if you decide to keep it. Just run some more pixel unstick videos.

Here's some information about your models picture quality.
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/sj8500

And calibration settings to get the best picture out of your display.
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/sj8500/settings

When it comes to White balance settings its usually not good to copy other peoples settings.
Since even the same model can give different results. They usually calibrate one display at factory and apply a generic profile to all displays of the same model.
But because parts can vary, even with same model, copying white balance may or may not be accurate. The only way to achieve accurate white balance/accurate colors is to hire a professional or buy a color analyzer meter and do the calibration yourself, rather than copying other peoples settings.

But its usually recommended not to do either because they can be very expensive. And most modern displays have presets that can get you close to accurate colors. And most people wont notice much accuracy difference if you choose the correct preset compared to hiring a professional. Hiring a professional or doing it yourself with a meter is only needed if you want extreme precision. But it wont make a huge difference on modern displays. Just choose right preset, tweak using the recommended settings, and your good to go.

Last edited by SG854,

leonmagnus99

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
Just choose right preset, tweak using the recommended settings, and your good to go
hey mate, thanks for the links.
i already sort of checked the TV on rtings before even getting it.

and i usually like to calibrate TV, i always use warm temperature settings to get close to that rec709 thing and every post processing picture settings turned off for low input lag.
game mode, and or changing the input to pc.(but it makes the picture quality wear down, so i keep it in game mode with game picture preset etc.)

it is good overall, i managed to rub the blooming away.
not all of it though!

but dang ,it looks so much better now , thankfully.
and the edge bleeding is kind of gone too now, i hope it wont come back.

if it does, I'll rub it harder next time X'D ..

too broke for an oled tv, even for this tv i only paid less than half of it, my big bro paid the rest.

and well, I'm pleased with it overall.
have it already wall mounted by myself took alot of work.

and i really get tired thinking of swapping for the 3rd time.
so i am thinking of just keeping it and being happy with it despite having that stuck pixel and the other very tiny stuck pixel.

why is a tv with a stuck pixel called a defective though?
will it go bad/worse in the long run...?

i hope not..

Last edited by leonmagnus99,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    straferz @ straferz: Anybody know why this is happening to my ACWW town...