Regarding Open-source R4.

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by Wii_DS., Sep 23, 2007.

Sep 23, 2007

Regarding Open-source R4. by Wii_DS. at 4:23 PM (3,563 Views / 0 Likes) 18 replies

1. Wii_DS.
    OP

Banned Wii_DS. ウォリアー

United Kingdom
    Due to the high number of people voting 'yes' to this poll i thought i'd make this topic.

If the R4's firmware was open-source what would you change?

(If you don't Program, or cant program brilliantly just answer anyway, forget your lack of programming knowledge for this topic)

I'd change the whole layout of the R4 Menu, fix the ARM7 issues, fix the DS > Wii problem,
    when browsing your fills i'd make it be the bottom screen instead of the top. And if IS a firmware
    issue then i'd resolve the lack of SDHC support, but i think thats a Hardware issue.

2. rhyguy

Member rhyguy GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    i'd make it more skinnable, make it able to navigate the file election screen with the touch screen, and make ds games read the english header by default

3. azotyp

Member azotyp GBAtemp Maniac

Poland
    I'd make some cool looking interactive interface with cool looking buttons that look like 3d, and maybe build in some mp3 and movie player [​IMG].

4. hankchill

Member hankchill I Pwn n00bs.

Canada
    I'd probably make it solve world hunger.

Kidding. Id' actually get rid of the terrible UI and make it 'real' touch screen, not 'touch menu and put your stylus away'.

5. rest0re

Member rest0re GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Finland
    I WOULD MAKE MY DS TO SING SONGS TO ME!!

6. Kellicros

Member Kellicros GBAtemp Fan

I would probably make a few more buttons to access my favourite/most used .nds/directories.
    and maybe implements a bunch of open source homebrews, turn R4 into something like the MediaCart, but legally. [​IMG]

7. rest0re

Member rest0re GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Finland
    yea buttons for 1. homebrew 2. games 3. musics 4.multimedia 5. videos 6. sexy pictures(not for kids) 7. boot slot 2

8. TaMs

Member TaMs Randomizer

Finland
    so what's that multimedia thing, if there's already "musics, videos and sexy pictures" elsewhere : (

I would add homebrew button. : (

9. zi70410

Member zi70410 GBAtemp Regular

10. Wii_DS.
    OP

Banned Wii_DS. ウォリアー

United Kingdom

11. snesmaster40

Member snesmaster40 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I'd like to the remove the delete file function. It's a pointless feature for the firmware as it's a lot easier to remove files on a computer

12. Synchromatic

Member Synchromatic GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I think it's a rather handy function. You can delete the file right there, rather than having the hassle of removing your SD card, putting it into an adapter, and waiting for your computer to load the files. If you're deleting many files, the computer would be easier though. So it all depends on what you delete.

For me, I would make SDHC compatibility and make it more skin-able.

13. Movi

Newcomer Movi Advanced Member

Poland
    #1 Replace the rom-selection ,menu with something aking to the DS-X. Scratch that, all file operations should be aking to the DS-X UI design.

#2 Saves in different places than ROMs (because some people like having that)

#3 A per-ROM setting if i want to create a save file (no, for homebrew i don't thank you) - the new RPG has it (or so i saw)

#4 Disable the "ill-run-automatically-on-boot-screw-your-DS-settings"

#5 In fact, the top screen should be more usefull than displaying a logo - again the RPG looks great (a real LIVE clock and calendar)

And no, i would NOT be for features like real-time save or such. Thing like that tend to mess up (read:slow down) the game procedures. Clean-ROM all the way (although i would be for some kind of rom-patcher that would modify the rom in such a way, that the instruction counter would jump to a procedure which would be hard-coded for the R4 and would do a register and RAM dump. That way only the interested few would use it, without potentially ruining it for someone else).

I guess that sums it up.

14. MaHe

Member MaHe one lazy schmo

Slovenia
    I'd just clean up the interface:
    - fix the broken English;
    - remove the unnecessary text (on top of the file selection screen, last modification, file size);

15. dsbomb

Member dsbomb GBAtemp Fan

United States
    The only way to get your R4 to read the high capacity memory cards is to replace the entire card reader. That would make an interesting hardware mod.

It will never be possible by software. Think of it like CDs and DVDs. Sure they look similar, but that's all they are. The hardware is not the same.

16. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    Ingame menus with save states.

Also multiple save slots.

17. flai

Member flai Androgynous Apparently :)

United Kingdom
    I would change the R4 menu, I like it. If it was to be done then I would want an option between old and new. I would like to add a Codebreaker cheat system (if possible at all), and Wii Connectability.

And also just saw Urza's above post, I would like that too.

18. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    2 things i think can't be done
    1.) Real time saves since the inbuilt Ram is not enough for menus and stuff though anyone can think of another way to make it
    2.) SDHC support since i believe it's hardware prob
    Yet I think the touch support should improve

19. Talaria

Member Talaria ...

New Zealand
    I concur, save states would be great feature added to R4. As it would be helpful for games like the upcoming Zelda so you can load from place in the dungeon where you were up to rather than having to make your way from start, after you have loaded your game or died.