Regarding nand.bin, and general backing up.

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by yatesl, May 22, 2010.

May 22, 2010
  1. yatesl
    OP

Member yatesl GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Hey everyone. I soft-modded my Wii a long while ago, and it's still been sat in the closet - until recently, that is. I'm currently using it for all kinds of crazyness for a week, until it'll go back in the dark corner, and I'll probably do the same with the PSP. Such is life!

Anyway, I've been reading about, and I remembered the nand dump that I made. Namely, the one that you do straight away, so if you mess anything up you won't have a £149.99, nice looking paper weight. I've never been too good with keeping files safe, and I almost routinely format my PC and other media, often when I'm bored. As such, any important files (banking forms, student records, vital console restoring dumps) are often lost to the wonders of the format button. Rushing to my SD card in my Wii, with my greatest fears almost realised, I noticed that I still have nand.bin on there, at a sizeable 540,673 KB. Is this the file I need? If I was to format (or the micro SD card got destroyed), is this the one that's almost essential I keep?

tl;dr - I have a nand.bin on my SD card that's over 500 MB. Is this the only file I need to keep safe or are there other files hidden away (in the 00000001 folder, for example, or in bootmii or cMIOSins etc.)?

Edit: It turns out I don't have a keys.bin, and that's what I need. If I made another nand dump now, and tried to restore it at a later date, would it restore it to how the console is now, or would it restore it to factory settings? How about if I used the old nand, with the new keys?

Edit 2: I just did a new nand back up, and that didn't give me keys.bin either. Very bizarre, I thought you had to have them! It's on my boot2 - I know that's the good one. Does that mean I don't need the keys? In which case, if I restore the old nand, will it take me back to a new system, with all reset cIOS, apart from Homebrew Loader?

Edit 3!: I think I'm on system 4.0. I know there's ways of updating whilst keeping your homebrew, but I've not found an answer to this specific one. If you update to 4.2 through Nintendo, you'll lose your homebrew channel. That's fine, you can banner bomb it again, right? However, does it also reset all the cIOS? As in, clean slate? As you can tell, I don't know what I've got on my Wii, and want to start fresh.

On an unrelated note, in my youthful folly, it seems I installed cIOSCORP v3.2. Having reading around, this seems to have been a rather bad choice. What are the chances of this coming back to bite me in the arse at some point in the future? Browsing various sites, I've found you can 'uninstall' this, but it will reset all my cIOS'. I'll be totally honest - I'm not sure how I even got to half of my applications and back ups loading, I don't really want to do it all again!

2. yatesl
    OP

Member yatesl GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Edit post, well I'll be.