1. TastyPa1n

OP TastyPa1n Newbie
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    We have an inverter refrigerator that we bought over a year ago. Just today the ref stopped working but the bottom freezer is just fine. It is unbelievable that it started having problems so early! I used to be so happy with the Panasonic brand [​IMG] Our smaller Panasonic ref is over 20 years old and it's working perfectly.
    Can someone please help me troubleshoot? I think our refrigerator is out of warranty now. I chose this refrigerator and I don't wanna hear any side comments from my family that my choice was palpak

2. Beaukilla

Beaukilla Newbie
    Newcomer

Australia
    Probably the defrost thermostat has died, cant say for your fridge but in fridges I've tinkered with, the freezer does all the work and you open/close a vent that blows cold air into the fridge area, the coils in the freezer will ice up over time and there is a timer I think that will turn on some heat to melt the ice before it freezes up the circulating fan. You have to find the thermostat and test that it is working. Or open it up and temporally melt the ice which may give you a few weeks before it freezes again.

Hope this helps.

3. Chary

Chary Never sleeps.
    Senior Editor

United States
    I had a fridge with this problem. It was some retro 70s fridge, and what happened was that the motor? Fan? Coil?I forget, had frosted over and stopped working on the fridge side

4. TR_mahmutpek

TR_mahmutpek medic

Turkey
    Maybe you should go to your local repair.

5. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

6. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    Doing appliance repair now are we?

Most things have a warranty longer than a year. Year tends to just be the "we'll send an engineer/truck". It all changed somewhat recently (used to be sale of goods act which specified a reasonable time, nowadays there are limits if you can get it back to the shop but way longer than a year for something like a fridge).

As for the actual matter. If the bottom (freezer) still works then many modern fridges will share the cooling and in the freezer section will be some kind of flap to direct cool air around the place (too much and you freeze your fridge, too little and...yeah). This can either break or get clogged with ice and not be able to send cooling up to the top. If it is ice then clear it out, if it is not then see about using a warranty.

7. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Dick, With Balls
    Reviewer

United States
    Panasonic has a standard warranty of 2 years for full coverage and...I want to say 3 or 4 for just the compressor, so if you don't want to mess with it yourself, feel free to give them a call.

But as mentioned, something is likely frosted over so cold air can't move into the fridge, so pull out your shelves and see if there's a huge amount of frost anywhere between the fridge and freezer. If so, chip it out, should start working fine again.

If it does it again, or if that doesn't fix it, it could be a variety of things, evaporator motor dead, defrost thermostat could be dead, the temp control board could be dead, damper control dead, thermistor could be dead, those are usually the main causes from what I recall.

8. stealthninja77

Newcomer

United States
    Thermostat or fan. Easy Fixes

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Refrigerator, Freezer, Working