Reducing the SD-Cards Block Size leads to faster Rom-Loading Times?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by AkiraX3, May 7, 2015.

1. AkiraX3
    OP

AkiraX3 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 31, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Germany
  2. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    *cluster size

2Hack likes this.
  3. tbb043

tbb043 Member

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    Are ROM loading times so bad that they need improvement? The only game that loads slow for me is Smash, and I assume that's because it's a resource hog.

4. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    It formatted with SD formatter will give better performance than anything you could do under MS's formatting tool. The difference is fairly negligible either way, though. If you really want the squeeze out better performance, just use the SD formatter. Also, it's generally larger cluster sizes that give better performance, at the cost of a bit of space.

My only source is my own testing. I did some extensive testing involving FAT16/FAT32, various SD/SDHC cards, different cluster sizes, and MS's built in software against the SD formatter.

2Hack, Margen67 and migles like this.
  5. xdarkmario

xdarkmario Philosopher

Dec 30, 2010
    United States
    Mushroom Kingdom
    Ahhh the return of a urban legend, their are many debates about if cluster size (for any device) actually improves speed. And the answer is it depends on the device, hard to say what is the "perfect" cluster size. In my opinion it's best to leave it on default unless otherwise specified. Like in some cases like Nintendont needing 32 cluster size

But having a class 10 SD always helps

6. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    On the DS, large cluster size improved speed, which might work for GW too. It depends on how the card is being read I guess. I don't really see how making it smaller can improve speed though.