nin10do

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
ok i use vista and firefox and most of the work i have to do is on the net. so i'm looking for suggestions to make text easier to read and hopefully reduce eyestrain.
i do no t understand why google continues to use that super white background.

i have curretnly set these colours in firefox:
http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/1746/coloursej6.png

i have set my windows to be 50% transparent to make it easier on the eyes:
http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/6695/desktopzd4.jpg

i would really apreciate any other tips..

Hachibei

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't know how well these will help you read text, but Gunnar Optiks glasses definitely reduce eye strain, fatigue, and general discomfort from looking at a monitor too much. Check it out: http://www.gunnaroptiks.com/index.html

Also, if you don't want to spend $100 for one of those, you could check out monitor screen filters. Although, if you have a really big monitor, getting a screen filter for that might be more expensive then the glasses.

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well if you're annoyed with the white background (after which I only assume it's the brightness hurting your eyes), why not decrease your backlight brightness?

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
or use http://www.blackle.com/

smile.gif

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You just wanted to show us that HOT chick on your desktop didn't you!?

use a plain desktop PROBLEM SOLVED!
nyanya.gif

your wasting far too long DROOLING OVER HER and that's what the problem is here nothing to do with reading easier text is it lol
nyanya.gif

on a serious note are you using CRT or LCD if your using CRT then its recommended not to use a refresh rate lower than about 70-75hz anything lower will cause headaches with the flicker being more noticable!

If its an older CRT then maby switch to LCD older ones can although not noticeable to the naked eye go blurry and offset enough to cause headaches!

From working in I.T. daily for years now its advised from a health and safety point of view to take REGULAR BREAKS and breaks lasting longer than 10 minutes to give your eyes time to relax again before the next session
smile.gif

Your also supposed to not look straight on at your screen rather a slight downward angle opposed to vertical straight on so raise your chair and tilt your screen back a degree or so .....

If you need to be at a machine longer then make sure you glance away every so often to avoid eyestrain from staring ahead all the time!

nin10do

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
Scorpei said:
Well if you're annoyed with the white background (after which I only assume it's the brightness hurting your eyes), why not decrease your backlight brightness?

oooh
ohmy.gif
didn't think of that
tongue.gif
just set my monitor to "text" mode. much better now.

QUOTE(DrYHeLL @ Jan 21 2009, 08:49 PM) Get rid of the transparency, regardless of how hot your desktop is I'll say it again. Transparency off.

i tried turning the transparency off completely. this makes the contrast between the dark background and light text way too sharp. however too high a transparency makes the writing too light. i've found a nice intermediate setting that makes the contrast a little less sharp.

nin10do

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
kobykaan said:

nyanya.gif

your wasting far too long DROOLING OVER HER and that's what the problem is here nothing to do with reading easier text is it lol
nyanya.gif

on a serious note are you using CRT or LCD if your using CRT then its recommended not to use a refresh rate lower than about 70-75hz anything lower will cause headaches with the flicker being more noticable!

If its an older CRT then maby switch to LCD older ones can although not noticeable to the naked eye go blurry and offset enough to cause headaches!

From working in I.T. daily for years now its advised from a health and safety point of view to take REGULAR BREAKS and breaks lasting longer than 10 minutes to give your eyes time to relax again before the next session
smile.gif

Your also supposed to not look straight on at your screen rather a slight downward angle opposed to vertical straight on so raise your chair and tilt your screen back a degree or so .....

If you need to be at a machine longer then make sure you glance away every so often to avoid eyestrain from staring ahead all the time!

haha. i have a million wallpapers and usually change it about 3 times a day. this is just the one i had on when i took the screen shot. i usually have the blue sky or beaches in the background.

i just checked the flicker thing. for some reason my laptop was set to output at 59hz... which as it turns out isn't fully compatible with my monitor... i just changed it to the recommended 60hz and it's working surprisingly better now. thanks for pointing that out.

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
nin10do said:
kobykaan said:

nyanya.gif

nyanya.gif

smile.gif

haha. i have a million wallpapers and usually change it about 3 times a day. this is just the one i had on when i took the screen shot. i usually have the blue sky or beaches in the background.

i just checked the flicker thing. for some reason my laptop was set to output at 59hz... which as it turns out isn't fully compatible with my monitor... i just changed it to the recommended 60hz and it's working surprisingly better now. thanks for pointing that out.

no worries
smile.gif

@shaunj66 staring straight on at any screen for prolonged periods can cause headaches and eyestrain according to health and safety guru's
smile.gif

Do you have a TV on in the same room and do you watch it half and half when using your pc? ...could be a reason you don't get any issues other things can influence problems such as lighting of the room... poor lighting can give eyestrain and on the other scale too bright can cause them
frown.gif

Even if you turn away for a couple of minutes to do something every now and again can lessen the effects of tunnel/blurred vision/headaches etc if your gaming then this could also explain the no issues as gaming tends to be quite animate and your eyes are all over the place and not in one fixed gaze at a single point like you would doing office work all day long
smile.gif

Anyway I'm not telling anyone how to use their PC or how to sit etc its just after working in a suite for a long time and reading out the riot act of Health and Safety day in day out for several times a day you can reel it off backwards .. other stuff like make sure you have your chair positioned correctly and the back rest adjusted to your height ..no food or drinks around the machines or mobile phones must be turned off or on silent as we did tests and examinations in the same room) fire exits are here here and here in the event of a fire leap out the window.. (we were on the 2nd floor btw) blah blah waffle waffle rant etc!
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I feel like I spent the night with Ancientboi +1