Apple redsn0w untethered jailbreak for iOS 4.2.1 this weekend.

MLRX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
The title of the post says it all. Doesn’t it? Anyways, we are here to share with you the news you have been wanting to hear. MuscleNerd of the iPhone Dev Team has announced that they will be rolling out an updated version of redsnow during this weekend, Christmas weekend that is, which will bring the long awaited untethered jailbreak for iOS 4.2.1.

Currently the iPhone Dev Team is looking for Mac testers to try out the redsn0w before the final version goes public:
QUOTE said:
Over the Christmas weekend we’ll be releasing a version of redsn0w that implements the “backup plan” to the 4.2.1 untethered jailbreak. We’re seeking your help to test this redsn0w and find any bugs before we do a general release!
(If you have an iPhone 3G, or an old-bootrom ipt2g or iPhone 3GS, you already have an untethered jailbreak! Just use the latest public redsn0w.)
To keep things manageable, this will be a Mac-only test program. We also request that any volunteers *NOT* need the ultrasn0w unlock (in case things go very wrong).
Right now, the “backup plan” requires that you have the 4.2b3 IPSW on your Mac, and that Cydia has your 4.2b3 SHSH hashes. Please don’t pirate that 4.2b3 IPSW! (We’re also working on a way that this technique might apply to all those with 4.1 IPSWs, but that’s not the first goal right now.)
If you fit all the above qualifications, please follow @redsn0w_testers on twitter for announcements, and use the comments section here for feedback. Thanks very much for your help, and Happy Holidays!
icon11.gif
Source

MadClaw

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just got my iPod Touch 4g 8gb today, It came with 4.2.1.. That means I Can't use this to jailbreak doesn't it? :/ Since i need hashes.
ohnoes.png

MadClaw

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really? I've looked up on downgrading 4G but everywhere says you can't, I used to downgrade my 1G all the time, but this is different.. I think?

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
MadClaw said:
Really? I've looked up on downgrading 4G but everywhere says you can't, I used to downgrade my 1G all the time, but this is different.. I think?
I think he didn't read your post thoroughly.

Dialexio

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunately MadClaw, you cannot get an untethered jailbreak for your iPod touch 4G just yet. (This upcoming release of redsn0w will use part of 4.2b3 for an untethered jailbreak, so if you don't have its SHSHs you're out of luck.) You are also correct that you may not downgrade your iPod touch 4G due to the SHSH check.

NiGHtS

Trophies
XP
Country
I was confused about this actually, I've got an iPod Touch 4G on 2.4.1 because I accidently, and stupidly, RESTORED and upgraded. So now I'm stuck...a few questions:

1) I know I can tether jailbreak it but what exactly are the cons of this method?
2) Will this redsn0w jailbreak that is going to be released work for me or just people with the SHSH's on their device?
3) What's happening with Comex and his final proper release of 4.2.1 jailbreak?

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
1) You cannot reboot your iPod without connecting to a computer and using redsn0w to boot jailbroken. This is fine for an iPod since you'll just put it to sleep most of the time but could be annoying if you are going away from a computer for a week or so and accidently reboot. A few explanations on what this means. Respringing is not the same as rebooting and is not affected. If you have SpringBoard tweaks (e.g. scrolling board, winterboard etc.) the iPod will freeze on the Apple logo. If you do not have any of these then your iPod will boot but no jailbroken apps will work.

2) You need the SHSH for 4.2.1b3 available (I got them with Tinyumbrella before Apple stopped signing) So no, you can't use this untether.

3) My guess is that its proving a lot more hassle than he originally thought. As this method doesn't burn any more holes (reveal more exploits to Apple) They've decided to release this one to tide us over.

NiGHtS

Trophies
XP
Country
Jamstruth said:
1) You cannot reboot your iPod without connecting to a computer and using redsn0w to boot jailbroken. This is fine for an iPod since you'll just put it to sleep most of the time but could be annoying if you are going away from a computer for a week or so and accidently reboot. A few explanations on what this means. Respringing is not the same as rebooting and is not affected. If you have SpringBoard tweaks (e.g. scrolling board, winterboard etc.) the iPod will freeze on the Apple logo. If you do not have any of these then your iPod will boot but no jailbroken apps will work.

2) You need the SHSH for 4.2.1b3 available (I got them with Tinyumbrella before Apple stopped signing) So no, you can't use this untether.

3) My guess is that its proving a lot more hassle than he originally thought. As this method doesn't burn any more holes (reveal more exploits to Apple) They've decided to release this one to tide us over.

Thanks
smile.gif

Well, time to play the greatest game of all....waiting.
closedeyes.gif
Although, a tethered jailbreak is extremely tempting if I don't say so myself >.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Jamstruth said:

The iPod still boots if its tethered jailbreak but rebooted without rejailbreaking? Interesting, I always thought that with a tethered jailbreak your iPod simply wouldn't work if it got turned off.

Jamstruth

Trophies
XP
Country
SifJar said:
Jamstruth said:

The iPod still boots if its tethered jailbreak but rebooted without rejailbreaking? Interesting, I always thought that with a tethered jailbreak your iPod simply wouldn't work if it got turned off.
If you've got ANYTHING that manifests in the Settings program (i.e. integrated with Springboard) then it won't. And let's face it: That's where all the fun is.

metamaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
A tethered jailbreak won't boot if you install anything that uses Mobile Substrate (SBsettings, Winterboard, SBrotator, etc.) But for some reason, my iPod wouldn't boot with only [Redacted] (maybe because of Appsync)

Jamstruth

Trophies
XP
Country
Almost certainly AppSync. That tricks iTunes into thinking cracked apps are legally bought to back them up so must use Mobile Substrate and Springboard in some way.

Sotoro

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
So i'm currently on 4.1 and i want upgrade to 4.2.1. How can i backup all of my stuff, so that i have the complete same content on my updated device. Only by clicking on backup in itunes? I don't want to lose all of my save stats in games and everything else.

metamaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
^ It is a beta version (full of bugs and not "official")

@Sotoro: You don't have to restore to go to 4.2.1. When you click the update button, you just get an update, that's it. You don't lose anything (aside from your jailbreak)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM