Redbox officially launching game rentals June 17

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Terminator02, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Terminator02
    OP

Terminator02 ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ

Apr 10, 2010
    United States
    Somewhere near monkat
    [​IMG]
    Refrigerator-sized movie rental kiosk operator Redbox began testing video game rentals nearly two years ago, but they'll be available at more than 21,000 locations nationwide starting on June 17, 2011. The test market expanded from 5,000 locations last October.

In announcing the launch date, the company confirmed that its kiosks will offer games for PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii covering "top releases to popular family and kids titles." Game rentals will run $2 a day, compared to $1 for DVD and $1.50 for Blu-ray movie rentals. By comparison, brick-and-mortar rental chain Blockbuster offers five-day rentals for $8.99 per game and by-mail rental service GameFly lets its users check out two games at a time for a $22.95 monthly subscription fee.[/p]
    [​IMG] Source (Joystiq)

2. Makoto03

Makoto03 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 15, 2008
    United States
    North Carolina
    this is great. $2 a day isn't bad, since most games only take a day for me to determine whether its worth my time and money to invest in purchasing it.

3. awssk8er

awssk8er GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 26, 2007
    United States
    New Jersey
    Next thing: Pay $8.99 a month to stream as many video games as you want. I wish.

This is awesome. I hope they have 3DS games. That's the only reason why I would use it.

4. Schlupi

Schlupi Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™

Aug 31, 2007
    United States
    Rozen Queen Co, Chicago Branch
    Huh. Almost all the Redboxes in Chicago already have video games. It's good they will all have them now. [​IMG]

Pretty cool. And yes, the one near my house has 3DS games.

5. m3rox

m3rox GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 13, 2006
    United States
    WA
    They have Wii games here.

6. MadClaw

MadClaw GBAtemp Fan

Oct 30, 2008
    United States
    Usa
    $2 a day is $14 for a week, That is OUTRAGEOUS. Hastings you can rent a game for $4, and you can keep it for 7 days. redbox fail.

7. Guild McCommunist

Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

May 6, 2009
    United States
    The Danger Zone
    The idea is that you'll finish the game in a day or two and you can conveniently return it. Cheap and convenient.

8. jefffisher

jefffisher GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 17, 2006
    United States
    seems reasonable to me great for when a friend comes over for a day and you want to check something out you havent played a million times before.
    where i live this will also be the only place to rent games besides gamefly.

9. DJ91990

DJ91990 Dark-Type Trainer

Feb 9, 2009
    United States
    Oakwood Region
    Cool I hope that the one at my local WalMart does this so that I can "rent" DKC returns to that I can rip the copy to my HDD and hopefully have a copy of the game that does not crash within less than an hour of gameplay!

10. DJPlace

DJPlace P!ssed OFF Pyscho of GBA!!

Apr 16, 2008
    United States
    i thought this was out all ready? but i guess not. so no ds or psp games or anything like that?

11. Windaga

Windaga GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 12, 2009
    United States
    New England
    June is going to ROCK.

Well, this summer in general is going to rock.

12. pokefloote

pokefloote GBAtemp Addict

Mar 20, 2009
    United States
    The redboxes in my town were one of the beta game distributors, but they mostly had shovelware-ish titles for the Wii. Hopefully that changes soon when this starts...

13. syko5150

syko5150 GBAtemp Syko!

Apr 25, 2009
    United States
    California
    It would actually be nice to pay $2 to try out a game before spending $50-$60 buying it. All the blockbusters in my area closed so there aren't any options other than gamefly for renting games.

14. Zetta_x

Zetta_x The Insane Statistician

Mar 4, 2010
    United States
    By your logic buying games would be the best option because it's like $50 for a game and you keep it until it disintegrates. Sure it fails in comparisons to some other alternatives but most people probably "Burn it and return it" within the same few hours. so clearly Red Box is the winner and they make tons of cash the more people who have hacked consoles.

Heh, should be red-boxes new slogan. Burn it and return it with the logo of something on fire.

15. Neo_Ch!p

Neo_Ch!p Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 5, 2010
    United States
    Inside Your Motherboard™
    I've been doin this since they started distributing games, unfortunately most of their releases are shovelware latest being "Rio" [which is not a bad game].

I find it so damn convenient to pay 2$ for a good hdd dump than spending an hour downloading since I'm barely using the internet.

16. clonesniper666

clonesniper666 KRII LUN AUS

Jul 31, 2007
    United States
    The Great Underworld Warzone
    Nice, I have used the beta rental service for mine a few times. Strangely thought the only games they had was Assassin's Creed Brotherhood for 360 and Marvel VS Capcom 3 for ps3 and that was all.

17. VashTS

VashTS Beat it, son

Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    Upstate NY
    nice so now for people to manually pirate games it will be really cheap. gamefly is too much money and the postal service sucks. i hate waiting for mail.