GBAtemp Testing Area
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just got i and I have to say...

Wow.

I do not have a single clue why this game is bashed so much. It is an awesome game IMO, better than MoH.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can tell you the only good reason it is validly shat all over for, hideous detection on sword fight sequences. I tried small and large movement mode, different speeds to get it to work right, hold on the things, angle...etc.

I found around getting into Japan it was just a randomly nearly (felt like) luck based chore not to get your ass chopped up. What made it more aggravating was death meant re-doing like 5-15min of a stage you could breeze through w/out taking a damn hit. Learning the combos and all that were a bit of a help, if doing the motion would detect right when you needed it too as otherwise you were wide open. The controls were smart and intuitive in design, but in practice worked as well as someone trying to walk the line after 10beers.

I took plenty of abuse from that crap and got sick of re-playing gun sequences so it hit the trash heep of the resale market. My only happiness was I got it when it was temporarily $30 at best buy, and resold it back when it was back up to $50 so I lost maybe $5-10 instead of like $30+. Both COD and MOH:V show the FPS controls and well being of special motions can be done and well when someone bothers to work the bugs out of stuff. Red Steel was just plain bad outside of gunplay...and had there been gunplay only AI alone with its tactics and stuff likely may have made it my favorite.

That's why I deserves a hot steamy one dropped on it...half the controls were broke and unavoidable to work around too.

....and LINKI...you should have given COD3 about twice that. It was a bit disorienting to me at first too, much in the same way mouse+keys were way back when Quake1 popped up and stuff. Once you get used to it, in some ways it's even superior to mouse and keys because you can more seemingly move around like a soldier while aiming your gun independantly which mouse+keys can't as they're bound together.

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
IMO the Sword-Fight is crap. The rest of the game is really good.

Hopefully in Red Steel 2 there won`t be any Sword-Fights or at least
they should improve it.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I have to repeat here what I had to say in the "other tread", so excuse me for cutting and paste tmyself..

I have to disagree here, I am sorry, but I still like red steel.
In fact, it was the first game I played on my Wii, which I got on the official US launch day along with Zelda and Excite truck,and it was the first one I completed.But I got the feeling it got multiple endings sort of...
Then I sold it to buy call of duty III(which was kind of disorienting at times), and recently I got a hold of a *backup* and I started it again.
I just love it, sure it could be better, but as it is is still very enjoyable, I like the story and the scenario and I really feel sucked ito the game when I play it, expecially now on my newer LCD hdTV.
The swords fight are so incredibly easy !!!! Believe me , even the bosses, when you master a couple of cool moves, became a piece of cake to beat, and you don't have to hopelessly wave your hands trying to hit something, it's all about timing, during the practice session it becomes clear how you have to do it, and I never fail a combo, specifically I like the one that brakes your opponent's sword, that can make any fight considerably shorter.
I remember when I switched to another FPS game, I really missed the sword fights every now and then and also the ability to zoom in and out .
Give it a fair try if you are into that type of game and stick to it, I did it and I 'm glad I did.

Renegade_R

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just beat Red Steel yesterday and I have to say it was one of the most satisfying FPS experiences I ever had on the console. Yes the sword controls were a bit unresponsive but I still had tons of fun. The music was absolutely awesome too which helped me keep the energy in the sword fights. There was one sword fight too which was REALLY hard but I didn't lose due to bad controls, I lost because I had to conjure a strategy.

Graphics wise, its some of the best I ever saw on Wii. I really hope for sequel of Red Steel. If they would up the controls, add internet multiplayer, I'm sure it has the potential to become GOTY.

wohoo

Trophies
XP
Country
Red steel FTW! but I can't unscramble on my computer so I can't try CoD 3 acctually
frown.gif

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I love this game. I also think the sword parts are crap. As if you'd sword fight someone when you have a gun. I got fed up of sword fighting this really hard ninja. Afterwards theirs no checkpoint, so I get killed by other ninjas with guns. Got fed up of keep doing the same part. I was close to finishing it, so maybe I'll give it another go sometime.

thomaspajamas

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I played the single player a little on my friend's wii, and it seemed kind of fun.

But multiplayer? that was a horrible experience. We even gave it several tries with different options and levels and whatnot, but it just was not very fun at all and looked terrible.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey if you can tolerate the very lagged and misinterpreted moves the sword parts can do, better yet if you have some 'Rain Man' type of thing there that allows those to be silky smooth playable knock yourself out. My point is, most people, including nearly any reviewer who hit that game on the net had a problem with it so it's a very fair and overly valid bitch.

It's a shame though as the rest I truly enjoyed.

nilsk123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I finnished redsteel cod3 AND mohv and have to say red steel was the best by far. Pretty good graphics, good gun action. Yes, the swordplay sucks, but not because of unresponsive controles. They actualy respond very well once you've got the hang of it.

It's just borring........ I would've expected more moves from it, if not point to pixel. YOu can slash horizantal vertical and diagonal, thats it! ( apart from the combo's that is, whitch work fine and look kinda cool ). Why can't they let you controle it like the baseball bat in wii sports, point to pixel, now THAT would be awesome! because then you'd actualy be swordfighting ( without a sword that is ).

Conclusion:

Red steel 2 could become the perfect fps, if they improve graphicwise and spice up the sword fights, completely redesign the swordfights in fact!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: [changes you from AM to PM] Done :)