red steel views

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by lexus-8, Nov 25, 2006.

Nov 25, 2006

red steel views by lexus-8 at 8:11 PM (1,068 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. lexus-8
    OP

Member lexus-8 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    hi guys

i just wanted to know your views on red steel also pleze give a rating

thx

2. lookout

Member lookout GBAtemp Board Room

United Kingdom
  3. [M]artin

Member [M]artin .

United States
    Care to elaborate, buddy? [​IMG]

4. Blebleman

Member Blebleman GBAtemp Old-Timer

Canada
    I've played it only in multiplayer (it was a friend's) and figured out it's good only if you're not utterly retarded.

Most people who were there couldn't figure out the control scheme, although the few who did (myself included) got used to it within 10 seconds.

Either you get it, or you don't.

If you do get it, have fun, because it is pretty fun.

If you don't, get used to spinning uncontrollably,cause that's what you'll do.

Oh and if you don't put the game at LOW sensitivity, I agree that the controls are waaay too sensitive.

5. wabo

Member wabo GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    I played Call of duty before red steel. And i wasn't too keen on the controls, in fact, most of the time i was longing for a mouse and keyboard. Some actions ( activating explosives, actionning levers) were downright broken. you have to make some movements with the controllers but once, i stayed at least 4 minutes trying to activate a damn lever. Driving the jeep was fun though, the bit in the boat was ok, could have been better.

In one evening/night, we got around half the game done. No multi included lowers the replay value. Also the cutscenes (FMV) are considerably higher quality than the game. They looks like the PS3 or X360 version of the game and remind you very well of the graphic hit you're taking with the Wii. After that night, i wasn't far of saying FPS control wasn't that fun with the wiimote.

2 days later. Friends of mine comes with a copy of red steel. I immediatly tell him " This game got some really bad reviews" and i was keen on believing them seeing i had a hard time with COD controls (they arent BAD but definitly arent a step up in efficacity).

We boot up the game and 5 minutes in, i can already say the controls are much better than COD, i feel much more in controls of what i'm doing.

We have 13,5 hours played and the progress counter says 33% so really feels like a lenghty game by FPS standard. Overall i've been really impressed by the game, it has exceeded my expectation (wich were low considering the reviews). Pretty nice game.

I haven't tried multiplayer yet (only one remote here) but i'm curious on splitscreen controls, seems like it would be weird so i can't speak for that part of the game.

6. Gilrad

Gilrad Newbie

From what I read online, it's either a love or hate game. Reviews are either 80-90% or 50-60%, with a few 75% reviews here and there.

The largest complaint I hear? Turning in the game is a painfully slow process. Everything else sounds well done (sound, production values, graphics save a few environments, a decent multiplayer).

Oh, and don't pay attention to Gamespot's review. It's painfully obvious they only played through the third level.

7. SpaceJump

Member SpaceJump Where's my new 2D-Metroid?

Germany
    So you played it? What don't you like about it?

8. lookout

Member lookout GBAtemp Board Room

United Kingdom
    [​IMG] Nope I haven't played yet.... I was just kidding!

9. Renegade_R

Member Renegade_R Audio/Video Expert

Canada
    I own Red Steel and I have gotten about 3-4 hours into it. My impression of the game is very good actually. YOu have to get used to the controls but if you can look past that, you can see a very high quality game under it.

Pick it up...its 100% worth it.

Edit: And if you're wondering...I've also played Resistance: Fall of Man for PS3....in the end I like Red Steel better.

10. ozzyzak

Member ozzyzak GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Just wanted to add to this. The first time I played it, I walked away very frustrated. But after playing a few more times, I really enjoy it. As it stands now, I can't wait to get home and play it some more!

11. Ben_j

Member Ben_j GBAtemp Advanced Fan

France
    Dude, Resistance sucks so much...

12. Lily

Former Staff Lily One Scary Lady

Canada
    Rating: 8/10

All the bitching about the controls is just ridiculous. Some people just can't get the hang of a new control scheme, and they take it out on the game. You're either going to get the hang of the remote/nunchuck, or you're not. Red Steel is amazingly fun (just like the equally hated on Excite Truck - which is a GREAT game) and well worth a play. The only thing I don't like about Red Steel is the frequent "checkpoints". It reminds me of playing through the original Half-Llife on the PC. You get used to it, but it doesn't make it any less annoying.

13. 754boy

Banned 754boy :D

United States
    Thanks for a REAL review that I can trust Qrayzie. I'm gonna go out and get this to hold me over until Far Cry comes out. Sounds like fun [​IMG]