Red Square, A Yume Nikki Fan Game for the Nintendo Virtual Boy

redsquare.png

Red Square (programming by Kresna, graphics by Nyrator) was created over 6 weeks for the 2019 Dream Diary Game Jam. Game play is described as being simple, and consists of collecting items before heading to the exit. With this update the ROM is now fully compatible with actual hardware. FB and FB+ users must pad the ROM with method #3 (duplicate data) and a default size of 21 (2 MB).

download.gif
Download
icon11.gif
Homepage

D

Deleted User

Heyyy bud, I agree to some extent but look at the ZX spectrum and what their doing with it. Worst pallette ever (well, I guess better than the virtual boy), yet still kicking in 2019, and people are making exciting progress with it :

Somebody spent all their time making fruit ninja on a calculator.
Doom on a camera.
Heck, doom on a printer.
People do this because they have fun doing it.
Ever heard of geeks?
couldn't help myself :)

Not trying to start an argument with you but I respectfully disagree. :)

WiiHomebrew+Snes

Member of GBAtemp's shadow district
Trophies
Website
www.lucar.io
XP
Country
United States
But then it wouldn't be a Game and Watch game anymore.

I meant game and watch style, as in any tiger electronics or game and watch type game. The game and watch games themselves are different from each other hardware wise because they aren't interchangeable like NES games. What I am thinking of still has most of the graphics limitations but a better processor.

Pipistrele

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Never heard of this before. I don't even know what a Yume Nikki is. :blink:

But I see virtual boy interest is not totally dead. :ninja:
Yume Nikki is an adventure game by reclusive Japanese developer (nobody knows anything about them aside of short interview) - you play as a young shut-in girl who explores her dreams. It's fully open-ended, there's no plot to speak of, and existing endgoal is optional - you just wander around weird locations, interact with things and discover weird/trippy/horrifying stuff on your journey. Basically, imagine PS1's "LSD: Dream Emulator", but in 2D and with a more consistent world to explore.

The game came out of nowhere back in mid-2000s and gained a massive cult following, particularly on the imageboards and various forums. For a while, it basically became something of a collective activity - players exchanged hints, discovered new easter eggs, and just explored the game to hell and back. There were also a lot of fangames, and even relatively big developer teams who were inspired by the thing in one way or another. Nowadays, it's not exactly the game I can recommend strongly - it's incredibly cryptic to play on your own (one of the more infamous hidden events requires you to flick the switch in a very specific house with a 1/64 chance of it happening before next visit), and the joy of "collective exploration" is also gone since everything was already discovered and documented. I guess the best way to replicate the magic nowadays is to get a couple friends and exchange clues with each other :)

Last edited by Pipistrele,
Reactions: Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Never heard of this before. I don't even know what a Yume Nikki is. :blink:

But I see virtual boy interest is not totally dead. :ninja:

It's...an old game made in some version of the PC RPG Maker games. It's kind of a collect-a-thon of sorts.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

it means...dream...journal? is that right? My japanese isn't very good, but I get some basic words.

...dream diary game jam. okay. yes. i'm slow.

I have a friend who absolutely adores the virtual boy. Modded one, painted it pink, and calls it the virtual girl. This is a pretty awesome community, glad to see it's still being supported so well.

It comes out to something like that. The stereoscopic 3D is the main draw of it, and it's impressive that this old console that Nintendo would rather throw into the same waste bin as the works of art that follow this message is getting support that not even developers gave it. Honestly, the R&D was probably expensive, and even if it was finished as Gunpei Yokoi had intended, the only way anything could be done that could be described as being "virtual" would be to put FPS games on it. And in 1995, if the game wasn't Doom, no one gave a shit!

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
So, why would anyone beyond the six owners of a Virtual Boy want this? Congrats to the dev for the "hey, look at me!", but I'm here to spread the "nobody cares and you know they wouldn't beyond the hipster aesthetic" rhetoric. This console was a failure because it made people sick, and while the sadist in me can find worth in this, I don't find enough to make myself sick. So, with this said, collecting originals can be understood, but anyone else publishing to capitalize on my sadism is a douche. Fuck you, and spread your talents usefully.

Please, never speak again about topics you know nothing about.

-Another World

Reactions: Skelletonike

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
Any Updates for the VB Street Fighter II ????

None. The guy behind the second run (Johnny Phantom) last said he is in the process of getting started. But that was months ago, and years after he said he would make them. I do know for a fact he has all of the remaining 1st run boards and a means to flash them. So, eventually?

As of right now the only thing for sale is the demo on a cart.

-Another World

Reactions: Smoker1

DarthDub

Amateur Hacker
Trophies
Website
www.gaiaonline.com
XP
Country
United States
So, why would anyone beyond the six owners of a Virtual Boy want this? Congrats to the dev for the "hey, look at me!", but I'm here to spread the "nobody cares and you know they wouldn't beyond the hipster aesthetic" rhetoric. This console was a failure because it made people sick, and while the sadist in me can find worth in this, I don't find enough to make myself sick. So, with this said, collecting originals can be understood, but anyone else publishing to capitalize on my sadism is a douche. Fuck you, and spread your talents usefully.
Has anyone told this guy that emulators exist yet?

Panzerfaust

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
A VB thread and there are again those ppl who makes fun of the console. Taking AVGN (an fictional character) and other YouTubers to serious and spread bullshit about VB.
I spoke to some actual owners of VB and most of them realy liked the console. Imo the tech is pretty cool for a 1995 machine.
As for myself, I never experienced the VB as a kid...I watched AVGN and I was one of those haters until I actually played one some years ago...just an awesome experience. After hours of playtime, I never had any neck or eye hurt or some bullshit that ppl (who likely never played a VB) keep always saying.

Pipistrele

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
A VB thread and there are again those ppl who makes fun of the console. Taking AVGN (an fictional character) and other YouTubers to serious and spread bullshit about VB.
I spoke to some actual owners of VB and most of them realy liked the console. Imo the tech is pretty cool for a 1995 machine.
As for myself, I never experienced the VB as a kid...I watched AVGN and I was one of those haters until I actually played one some years ago...just an awesome experience. After hours of playtime, I never had any neck or eye hurt or some bullshit that ppl (who likely never played a VB) keep always saying.
VB didn't have Puyo Puyo though :<

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
Now I have two VB games. This and the Jack Frost SMT Game as well. (I don't imagine there's too much else to get)

Hi. If you are looking for full gaming experiences along the lines of Jack Bros., then I highly recommend Wario Land. It's a pretty fantastic platformer.

If you like puzzle games, definitely check out Bound High! It's a top-down puzzle/platformer with boss battles. It also has an interesting history, being the only unreleased VB game to be compiled from actual source code... and then released!

If you have a means to play Homebrew, check out Snatcher Act I.

If you happen to stumble on a Hyper Fighting cart, grab it! It's basically SFII for the VB with some pretty great 3D effects!

-Another World

Reactions: Mythical

evertonstz

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Now that's something you don't hear about often, Yumi Nikki. I think I played it back in 2005 or 2006 and never really touched it again, wasn't even aware it was on steam. Anyways, it's time to get some nostalgia with it.

Last edited by evertonstz,

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I meant game and watch style, as in any tiger electronics or game and watch type game. The game and watch games themselves are different from each other hardware wise because they aren't interchangeable like NES games. What I am thinking of still has most of the graphics limitations but a better processor.

The whole point of these things is to make them able to run in the original hardware, unless is just a game with a retro look and in that case a Nes looking Rayman would be more popular.

Thinking about it, there is nothing in Rayman 1 that would make it impossible to be ported into a Nes or Gameboy Rom. Then again the Gameboy Color port of Rayman is considered quite bad while the GBA port is average.

WiiHomebrew+Snes

Trophies
Website
www.lucar.io
XP
Country
United States
The whole point of these things is to make them able to run in the original hardware, unless is just a game with a retro look and in that case a Nes looking Rayman would be more popular.

Thinking about it, there is nothing in Rayman 1 that would make it impossible to be ported into a Nes or Gameboy Rom. Then again the Gameboy Color port of Rayman is considered quite bad while the GBA port is average.
I guess but game and watch games dont have interchangeable roms so the only fun thing to do would be to make a new one unless you wanted just pallet swaps.

stinkoman

Magnificent Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why would anyone besides you care about your opinion? Don't be a dick.

Reactions: DanBro

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I guess but game and watch games dont have interchangeable roms so the only fun thing to do would be to make a new one unless you wanted just pallet swaps.

Not the Nintendo one, but a few clones did..Unfortunately by then the Nes was already around, so they didn't do well.

WiiHomebrew+Snes

Trophies
Website
www.lucar.io
XP
Country
United States
Not the Nintendo one, but a few clones did..Unfortunately by then the Nes was already around, so they didn't do well.
really? ones that worked the same way as a game and watch with interchangable games? I suppose there are a few of those things I've seen on ashens where the whole screen comes out or something I believe, or they could be really simple games with poor graphics I guess. that sounds interesting. I doubt there's any people can figure out how to code games for though because if anybody cared it'd probably be easier to make a new one.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
really? ones that worked the same way as a game and watch with interchangable games? I suppose there are a few of those things I've seen on ashens where the whole screen comes out or something I believe, or they could be really simple games with poor graphics I guess. that sounds interesting. I doubt there's any people can figure out how to code games for though because if anybody cared it'd probably be easier to make a new one.

They basically were Gameboy clones with Game and Watch like graphics.

I once saw one that was sold together with twelve games cards, but thankfully I didn't buy it, the games were crap.

Last edited by raxadian,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sup nerds
    +1
  • Flame @ Flame:
    oh hi, Sickly
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh hi flame
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @K3Nv2 what was your ps4 situation
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you always have a ps4 you never updated
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or were you able to get new ps4 tracking it \
    as soon as the hack was announced
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or did you have to find a used one with the lower firm ware that was not updated
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got this ps4 at launch and never updated since 9.0
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask for a Pic of fw and telling them not to update
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask...