• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Red Hats: Today's "Red Scare"?

Will you stop wearing red hats now?

• Yes

• No

• Wait....what?

Results are only viewable after voting.

morvoran

President-Elect
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It turns out that wearing red hats are scaring "not normal" people, and we should do our part and throw out all red (or reddish) caps, hats, etc that could resemble a hat with a specific slogan on them. Forget about supporting your favorite sports team that uses the color red or if you just like the color red and don't support the current president, you need to worry about those abnormal people you might be inconveniencing and stop wearing these fearmongering headgear.

Source - click here

Liberal Author Begs ‘Normal People’ Not To Wear Red Hats: ‘You’re Making Everyone Scared’

On any summer day in Washington, D.C., there are tons of people wearing red hats. But in the nation's capital — where more than 75% of the residents are registered Democrats — most are not "Make America Great Again" hats.

Red is the color of the Washington National baseball team. And you'll see a lot of red in the winter since that's the Washington Capitals' color, too.

But now a liberal author says no self-respecting American should ever wear a red hat — even a baseball or basketball cap. (For the record, red is the most common color in Major League Baseball [14 teams] and the National Basketball Association [13 teams]).

The Chicago-based author, Rebecca Makkai, has been a finalist for a Pulitzer Prize and the National Book Award with a book about AIDS. She says the MAGA hats are like the Nazi swastika. But more than that, she says "normal people" shouldn't wear any type of red hat, saying they're "making people scared."

"Is anyone else made really uncomfortable these days by anyone wearing any kind of red baseball cap? Like, I see one and my heart does weird sh** and then I finally realize it only says Titleist or whatever. Maybe don't wear red caps anymore, normal people?" she wrote.

Even if your hat says something nice — like urging Americans to read — Makkai says nuh-uh.

"Also, for the love of God: The clever folks wearing 'Make America Read Again' or whatever caps — NO. You're making everyone scared. Don't do it," she wrote.

After some Twitterers mocked Makkai's post, she shot back. She said the swastika — a symbol in the ancient Sanskrit language — once stood for good luck and well-being in Hinduism and Buddhism, but noted that the faiths stopped using the symbol after it was used by the Nazis.

"If you're here to be contrary: an equivalent here would be western Hindus choosing not to use the swastika symbol in public despite it being sacred to their faith because it would offend/frighten people. The red hat has become a symbol of hate bc of how its wearers act," she wrote.

And she said she was speaking only to "normal people" — so, you know, not anyone who thinks differently than her.

"Also I love all the people who are like 'YOU CAN’T POLICE ME, LIBTARD!' Please note that I was specifically addressing 'normal people.' The ones who don’'t want to freak people out at a distance. The ones who enjoy it should absolutely continue letting us know who thy are," she wrote on Twitter.

But critics of her comments dismantled her argument.

"It's a hat, and this is a Free Country," one user on Twitter wrote. "The very fact that you're triggered by the hat shows what a serious problem you have with tolerating opposing political views."

"Is anyone else made really uncomfortable by closed minded leftists?" wrote another, while a third said: "Maybe find out everyone with a red hat, even ones with MAGA on them, aren't some sort of bogeyman and learn to adult better, like a normal person would."

Ryan Wilde summed up the absurdity best:
I agree with you. Every normal person who is a fan of the Detroit Red Wings, StL Cardinals, Cincinnati Reds, LA Angels, Arizona Cardinals, Phillies, & so forth need to abstain from wearing a team hat if it’s red. Red hats = bigotry
-----------------------------------------------------------

So, will you stop being a bigot and throw out your favorite red hat or will you continue to oppress this very small group of "abnormal" people who are uncomfortable around the color red on your head? Share your opinion and let us know. AND STAY ON TOPIC!!!!!!! Please.

Last edited by morvoran,
Reactions: CallmeBerto

WD_GASTER2

Hated by life itself.
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so you are having a big deal that someone on the internet wrote an ARTICLE about some dude asking people to stop wearing maga hats. OK. so you are having an issue over some schmuck on the internet having an opinion?
Gee... and here I thought only the "LIBS" were intolerant.
You see the Irony right?

Fuck no, I will continue to wear my Phillies cap!
Im team Dodgers! its on now! :P

Last edited by WD_GASTER2,
Reactions: CallmeBerto

morvoran

President-Elect
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so you are having a big deal that someone on the internet wrote an ARTICLE about some dude asking people to stop wearing maga hats. OK. so you are having an issue over some schmuck on the internet having an opinion?
Gee... and here I thought only the "LIBS" were intolerant.
You see the Irony right?
If your referring to me, then I just posted an article that I thought seemed a little insane just so people can comment on it here. I didn't write it. I don't think I said anything against anybody having an opinion either so not sure where that came from.
If you think red hats are ok, wear them. If they scare you, stay home. Don't push your agenda on others because you're inconvenienced. Funny how even a "conserv" like me finds an issue with them calling the people not afraid of red hats "normal", but you didn't bring that up. Hmmm.

Also, I'm sure it was a "lady" who had the issue with the red hats. It's not right to mis-gender someone nowadays. Sheesh, sounds a little "bigoted".

WD_GASTER2

Hated by life itself.
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No. you gave an opinion. One may subjectively say a "reactionary" one. I gave one of my own. Also based on some of the other posts the sentiment seems to be shared.

Also, I'm sure it was a "lady" who had the issue with the red hats. It's not right to mis-gender someone nowadays. Sheesh, sounds a little "bigoted".
"dial 5 to try again"
if you think that I base my moral compass of the internets opinion of "the left" you will be profoundly dissapointed.

Last edited by WD_GASTER2,
Reactions: Deleted User

morvoran

President-Elect
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No. you gave an opinion. One may subjectively say a "reactionary" one
I'm not sure where I gave a personal opinion anywhere in the OP. I would appreciate it if you could show me where. Here are examples of a fact and opinion:
fact: some apples are red.
Opinion: Apples taste good.
Hope that helps.

if you think that I base my moral compass of the internets opinion of "the left" you will be profoundly dissapointed.
the truth is that the person afraid of hats was a woman. To your point, I'm not disappointed at all. I'm glad for you if you don't have blind faith to the left or any party.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At this point I'm not sure which one I despise more: The Cult of Trump and its insane worshippers who jump through hoops and do all kinds of mental gymnastics to defend literally everything he does, bring up the abortion debate for no reason, and advocate for Christian theocracy; or the other side that wants to regulate emotions, thinks that there are nazis everywhere, think that white males are the cause of all suffering in the universe, and don't know the difference between actual free market capitalism (the ideal) and crony corporatism (what we have now).

As for the actual hats, they are a silly religious symbol at this point and nobody should be taking any of this shit seriously. I do have to say that as much as I dislike Trump and his red-hatted goons, I doubt they actually represent hatred. The idiots who want to deport everyone vaguely Hispanic looking are a minority (hopefully). If the sight of a damn red hat triggers someone that badly, they need to become a shut-in or check themselves into a mental health facility and remove themselves from society permanently.

Reactions: H1B1Esquire

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Bruh imagine writing a whole article just because someone made a dumb comment on Twitter.
Imagine making a whole thread because someone made a dumb opinion on twitter

At this point I'm not sure which one I despise more: The Cult of Trump and its insane worshippers who jump through hoops and do all kinds of mental gymnastics to defend literally everything he does, bring up the abortion debate for no reason, and advocate for Christian theocracy; or the other side that wants to regulate emotions, thinks that there are nazis everywhere, think that white males are the cause of all suffering in the universe, and don't know the difference between actual free market capitalism (the ideal) and crony corporatism (what we have now).
Or when those Trump supporters over exaggerated little small non issues making it seem like its a bigger attack then it is just so they can play victim and say, "see look how bad they are." "I am outraged how can you allow this" Ya Ya whatever shut up.

I'm glad Dave Chappelle joked about cancel culture on his new Netflix special. They tried to make negative opinions about his special calling him transphobic and sexist, and shut down user opinions, but they went after the wrong guy. Going after Dave Chappelle like that, one of the most likable comedians was a bad idea. They just made people rebel even harder, he has a user score 99% now on rotten tomatoes, one of the highest ever. The majority of the population are sick and tired of everything being called transphobic and racist.

It's not Trump that the problem, its you guys. Reality Star Donald Trump getting in is just a symptom of how retarded people have gotten. Getting people fired from Tweets 10 yrs ago. Trans Youtuber Contra Points deleting her Twitter because her own leftist followers went after her because she didn't say the most perfect thing, doesn't matter if your liberal or trans, you must be Perfect Morther Fuckin Jesus Christ if you want to survive cancel culture. Or that Game Developer Alec Holowka that committed suicide because of that whole Zoe Quinn stuff. People say they are voting for Trump just to show these people a lesson, they drove them to this. Say all you want how that's a stupid decision voting for "Evil Trump" who can screw things up, just to get revenge but that's what people are doing. They are tired of all this stuff.

Last edited by SG854,
Reactions: Subtle Demise

morvoran

President-Elect
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Imagine making a whole thread because someone made a dumb opinion on twitter
The truth had to get out!!! Imagine if you were attacked because you were just wearing a red hat outdoors? Now you will know why. You're welcome.

when those Democrat supporters over exaggerated little small non issues making it seem like its a bigger attack then it is just so they can play victim and say, "see look how bad they are." "I am outraged how can you allow this"
You made a typo. Must have been a Freudian slip.
Seriously, though. You can't really believe Trump supporters think like that, can you? Who has been telling you this stuff?

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do I throw my 2 cents into this, or do I go on about with what's left of my night and avoid the drama? Because this is one of those debates that, based on my experience with certain people and the culture I grew up in and what I've seen online, the problem is honestly on both sides, and really, the main issue is individuals who don't take responsibility for their actions bringing burdens on the innocent. Both sides are to blame for that (Prohibition leading to organized crime, mommy-daddy government having a massive debt crisis that really started with FDR's New Deal, continued on with LBJ's Great Society, and today's welfare problems are because of issues that the latter were probably never intended to address given how shady LBJ was if anyone with any knowledge of history knows about the things he's said and done), and honestly, considering they aren't going to solve anything until something massive probably occurs in this country, there's no chance that anything will be done to solve all of these problems in the culture of the US for a very long time until then.

morvoran

President-Elect
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why not tho? why post any threads here? Why post replies to these threads? Does it really matter why? It happened. It is what it is. Maybe you should be asking why someone would fear red hats and post that "normal" people shouldn't wear them. Why are liberals so bothered by maga hats to even make this an issue? Why tho?

Because clickbait is the same thing as news to him.
Clickbait, news, truth....It's all the same in this situation.

Last edited by morvoran,

morvoran

President-Elect
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Or not cause it doesn't matter
maybe not to you, but it mattered to somebody enough to even bring the issue up. I'm sure it mattered enough to others as well for the story to be brought to my attention and for me to post here. I'll make you a promise that should satisfy you, I will not post any stories such as this one on SINONtemp.com, ok?

AutumnWolf

JRPG enjoyer, Xenoblade, YS and DQ connoisseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
maybe not to you, but it mattered to somebody enough to even bring the issue up. I'm sure it mattered enough to others as well for the story to be brought to my attention and for me to post here. I'll make you a promise that should satisfy you, I will not post any stories such as this one on SINONtemp.com, ok?
I'll put it in other words, you are giving it too much importance, way more than it deserves, similar to this thread

Last edited by AutumnWolf,

morvoran

President-Elect
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll put it in other words, you are giving it too much importance, way more than it deserves, similar to this thread
Thanks for adding context to what you meant. A lot of people just get pissy and run off. This really helps to understand your position other than just "why".
Truth is, that's your opinion in this situation where I feel that I just created a thread about this story. I didn't make it front page news, I didn't put in bold letters "FOLKS, THE WORLD IS ENDING BECUZ RED HATS". NO, I just saw a silly political based story and posted it here, nothing more; nothing less.

As I tell people all the time, "if you don't like it, don't click on it or read it." Don't disparage my privilege of posting content that I want to because you don't think I should or like what I post. That's all.

Edit: forgot to add that every time you post here, that puts this thread on the front page, so every reply you make is making this more important than you think it is. Just something for your thoughts.

Last edited by morvoran,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?