Homebrew Recording 3ds audio directly.

ShinLarc

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am trying to record audio from my 3ds so I can hear through a stream. I heard somewhere that I can use an Aux cable and a program called audacity and it would work fine. I was wondering what your current setup is that you use to stream 3ds audio. All the different ideas can help! I was using an old headset mic and some external PC speakers, it was pretty ineffective.

SignalWalker

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use a double ended aux cord with one end plugged into the 3DS and the other in your laptop's microphone jack. Microphones & speakers are basically the same thing.

LoDeus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
My laptop doesn't detect line in T^T are there drivers or anything else to install or is my laptop just not ok? (only one port for speakers and microphone)

SignalWalker

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You might be able to tell Audacity to take input from that port, but I don't know where that option is or whether that would work.

rubycrow

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My laptop doesn't detect line in T^T are there drivers or anything else to install or is my laptop just not ok? (only one port for speakers and microphone)
how many 3.5mm jack does your laptop have? if only one you might have a mic/headphone combo jack. worst case scenario, get a usb sound card for less than $10.

LoDeus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
how many 3.5mm jack does your laptop have? if only one you might have a mic/headphone combo jack. worst case scenario, get a usb sound card for less than $10.
I do have only one T^T and there isn't any shop where I can buy that near where I live... Belgium is shit for this :/

LoDeus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
what make/model is your laptop?
Windows 10 Family
Toshiba
Personal Computer
Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU N2840 @ 2.16GHz 2.16GHz
RAM: 4,00 G0 (3,89 Go usable)
64 bits, processor x64

That's everything in the system details, in case that the problem is from one of these things, you probably know better than me

Axido

Maker of TRASLApp
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Windows 10 Family
Toshiba
Personal Computer
64 bits, processor x64

That's everything in the system details, in case that the problem is from one of these things, you probably know better than me

This is not really helpful, since there are multiple models featuring those specs. Look at the outside of your laptop. There must at least be a sticker with a model no.

Last edited by Axido,

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Toshiba
Is it jet black and came with a 500GB harddrive? I'm guessing it's maybe a Satellite C55-B5319. In which case, where you plug your headphones into is also where you plug your mic into.

Stereo cables go in both directions. your laptop should both send sound out through the stereo cable, and it should also receive sound through the stereo cable. if your laptop isn't detecting it, then it's probably a software thing. Windows can be a bit weird with such things.

Last edited by osaka35,

LoDeus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Is it jet black and came with a 500GB harddrive? I'm guessing it's maybe a Satellite C55-B5319. In which case, where you plug your headphones into is also where you plug your mic into.

Stereo cables go in both directions. your laptop should both send sound out through the stereo cable, and it should also receive sound through the stereo cable.

C50-B-14Z
The rest is accurate, but when I plug the cable to try to record the song from my n3ds, my computer thing it is headphones/speakers/headset/whatevertosendsoundout, which cut sound from the default speakers, but I can plug a microphone and it work as microphone, and default speakers still work. Maybe it's just not ok to do that with my laptop

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
C50-B-14Z
The rest is accurate, but when I plug the cable to try to record the song from my n3ds, my computer thing it is headphones/speakers/headset/whatevertosendsoundout, which cut sound from the default speakers, but I can plug a microphone and it work as microphone, and default speakers still work. Maybe it's just not ok to do that with my laptop
Well, your laptop does indeed have a headphone/line-in on the same jack.

the normal method is you'll plug in the cable to your headphone/mic hole.
Then right click on the speaker icon on the bottom right of your screen.
go to "recording devices".
Then right click on "aux-in" (or whatever is not your mic).
select "set as default device".

Your recording software should be able to recognize the 3ds noises now. Be sure to go back in and change it back to "mic" if you skype or anything.

LoDeus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Well, your laptop does indeed have a headphone/line-in on the same jack.

the normal method is you'll plug in the cable to your headphone/mic hole.
Then right click on the speaker icon on the bottom right of your screen.
go to "recording devices".
Then right click on "aux-in" (or whatever is not your mic).
select "set as default device".

Your recording software should be able to recognize the 3ds noises now. Be sure to go back in and change it back to "mic" if you skype or anything.

No "aux-in" option when 3ds plugged-in T^T

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I may be dumb but not that much please XD Of course it was max
lol nah, it's not dumbness. It's forgetfulness. I am constantly forgetting things, most people do, so it's normal. At least, that's what I tell myself :P

okay, so it's either a hardware problem or a software problem on your laptop. It's probably not a hardware problem, so the only thing I can suggest is to download the latest audio drivers from here (win10 x64, yes?):
http://support.toshiba.com/support/modelHome?freeText=1200008363
And you can download whatever else you want too lol

And to verify, the cable you are using looks like this, yes?:
https://www.amazon.com/Auxiliary-Cable-Pack-6-6FT-Long/dp/B01GXV99CO/

zac122

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Take a screenshot of what recording devices are available. It's possible you have the same problem I did in that the 3.5mm jack is a combo jack and won't see the 3ds as a recording device with the aux cable. If that is the case your best option really is a cheap usb sound card. If you can't find one of those then I'm sorry to say you may be SOL. it's possible you may have another device to record the audio on though.

rubycrow

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol nah, it's not dumbness. It's forgetfulness. I am constantly forgetting things, most people do, so it's normal. At least, that's what I tell myself :P

okay, so it's either a hardware problem or a software problem on your laptop. It's probably not a hardware problem, so the only thing I can suggest is to download the latest audio drivers from here (win10 x64, yes?):
http://support.toshiba.com/support/modelHome?freeText=1200008363
And you can download whatever else you want too lol

And to verify, the cable you are using looks like this, yes?:
https://www.amazon.com/Auxiliary-Cable-Pack-6-6FT-Long/dp/B01GXV99CO/

I do have only one T^T and there isn't any shop where I can buy that near where I live... Belgium is shit for this :/

@osaka35 A regular mic won't work in a combo jack as per Wiki(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phone_connector_(audio)) the regular headphones/cable uses a 3-conductor jack (left(tip), right(ring 1) and ground(ring 2)) but headphone/mic combo jacks have 4 conductors (left(tip), right(ring 1), ground(ring 2), mic(sleeve)) hence you can use regular headphones/cables in the combo jack or a headset with both the headphone and the mic using the same cable, but not a regular microphone. To use combo jack with an aux cable you need an adapter like this: http://a.co/6KnuhhD

@LoDeus Go ahead and search for headset adapter or combo jack adapter at the retailer of your choice and use it with an aux cable. (I found one for you that is sold in Belgium: https://www.startech.com/be/Cables/...-35mm-Headset-Adapter-Male-to-Female~MUYHSMFF) And they also sell USB sound card if you want to go that route.

Last edited by rubycrow,
Reactions: osaka35

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@osaka35 A regular mic won't work in a combo jack as both regular headphone and mic have 2 sections on the plug, and combo jack has 3 sections which the first section is ground and 2nd is headphone and 3rd is mic hence you can use regular headphones/cables in the combo jack. To use combo jack with an aux cable you need an adapter like this: http://a.co/6KnuhhD

@LoDeus Go ahead and search for headset adapter or combo jack adapter at the retailer of your choice and use it with an aux cable. (I found one for you that is sold in Belgium: https://www.startech.com/be/Cables/...-35mm-Headset-Adapter-Male-to-Female~MUYHSMFF) And they also sell USB sound card if you want to go that route.
Ah, I'm used to that being the video section. So a stereo to a a/v stereo cable, eh? Makes sense. can't hurt to try.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol newegg+
    Screenshot-20240423-053504-Gmail.jpg
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does update 19 really block it
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.