ROM Hack Recompiling old Public release games

Pedro UK

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hiya folks.

After looking around at old FPS games for the PC and looking at the ports of some of these to the DS (DooM, heretic, HeXeN etc) and it got me thinking: How hard is it to port and recompile these games to the DS?

The main reason I ask is that after looking for Heretic for the DS the only port I found was quite old and won't work on slot 1 devices (I own an R4). I was gutted as it's one of my all-time favourite games - so close yet so far!

So, how hard is it to port open source games to the DS? What would I need (ie/ SDKs, IDEs etc)? And how do I incorporate DLDI into a game!?

I'm not entirely computer illiterate although I stopped programming when my Del key broke on my C64! Just some pointers would help, thanks!
smile.gif

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This guy has a nice tutorial on getting started. I think I followed this a while ago. Almost made a paint program, when I realized that my DS didn't run homebrew correctly, so I decided to give up.

Google for the right things, and you'll get the right results

dread123

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i would be intrested in trying this...downloaded all the programs, but dont know where to start??? anyone wanna help at least get me kick started? that tutorial only goes to tell u whats needed. Any help would be appreciated..would like to try my hand at some old games from pc- windows 98 era if possible?? cheers

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit: hey