Hacking Recommmend a 1TB External HDD for use with Wii?

Smash Br0

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been using a Western Digital 320GB, but it's not big enough. I think 1TB would be perfect - does anyone have any recommendations for a reliable, fair-priced external HDD that has been confirmed compatible with USB loading?

Thanks for any advice.

TyBlood13

As Seen On GBATempTV
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't remember mine. [SEE EDIT BELOW]

But it works wonders! It's been put under a significant beating and works fine! Also it doesn't require a separate power cable or Y-usb cable for power. And it's confirmed to work with DIOS MIOS

EDIT: http://gbatemp.net/threads/post-the-model-of-hdds-youve-used-with-dios-mios.344522/page-2
-WD
-1TB
-Passport
-P/N WDBACY5000ABK-01
-USB Powered
-Standard Laptop drive in encloser (too lazy to look up dimensions of the drive)
-Works with Dios-MIOS? Yes
-USB 3.0
Has been the only drive I've needed for DIOS MIOS. I have tried about 50 games with it, no real problems except for audio streaming (which, as we all know, is just a problem with DIOS MIOS in general)

mechadylan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Second the 1 tb Element as well
Thirdeded. A 2TB Western Digital will probably set you back an additional $10-$20; just make sure that it is NOT a USB 3.0 as it will not work. 2TB WD USB 2.0 confirmed working with DIOS MIOS as well.

icw35

Trophies
XP
Country
I use a Samsung 1TB USB 3.0 no issues. Works with all the loaders. And I mean all! DIOS MIOS, Quadforce, Wiiflow, GX, CFG, Postloader...

Samsung M3 Portable 2.5" to be exact.

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
WD are generally good, toshiba are normally best avoided.

I use an older 3.5" WD drive as well as a 1TB WD Elements WDBPCK0010BBK-01 (2.5"), and know at least 5 others who use that exact 2.5"WD drive with no issues.

It just needs to either not spin down by itself, or have an option to disable the spindown.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use some generic external 3.5 inch USB 2.0 bay I picked up from Newegg. Works flawlessly with what ever drive I stuff in it, currently I think it's a 250GB hard drive that's like half full... (I have every Wii game I own backed up on it though.) I probably should mention the 4GB SD card jammed full of emulators but heh... lol

I do enjoy having almost my entire collection of game systems in one box... when I think about it, it blows my mind. All of my 2600,7800,NES,SNES,Genesis,TG16 and more all in one tiny box that I can boot up and start playing in about a minute with out having to dig out my old machines and wire them up (although I do that sometimes anyway just for kicks.)

Smash Br0

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Argh... I've been trying to get Western Digital 1TB models that have been confirmed to work off ebay, but I keep getting outbid at the last second. >_<

Is it true that it's better to get a model with vents for a drive that will be used in long sessions? I would think that drives without vents could get really hot...?

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Argh... I've been trying to get Western Digital 1TB models that have been confirmed to work off ebay, but I keep getting outbid at the last second. >_<

Is it true that it's better to get a model with vents for a drive that will be used in long sessions? I would think that drives without vents could get really hot...?

2.5" drives like the WD one I recommended really dont need an enclosure with ventilation. They're made to run in notebooks surrounded by a lot of other heat sources, the cases they come in do fine with just radiating off heat and never get more than warm. Putting a lot of vents on a case for a drive that doesn't need it is only going to let in dust.
3.5" drives do normally come with some ventilation and get a fair bit warmer, but really any ready-made external drive's case from the major manufacturers will be fine, and any 1/2 decent 3rd party enclosure also. I'd be more concerned with the power supply on cheap 3rd party enclosures.

The wii isnt really thrashing the drive, I would pretty much consider it a non issue.

How much are you looking to pay on ebay? The drives I use are only $67 locally here in Australia and we normally pay more than the US for electronics. (http://www.officeworks.com.au/retai...l-Hard-Drives/Portable-Hard-Drives/WDBPC100BK)

Smash Br0

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see, thanks for the explanation!

I've been looking for a bargain, I suppose - I'd like to find a 1TB for $40-50. Might end up having to pay $60 or more unless I get lucky, it seems...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr