Recommended WiFi device for DS & Wii??

Discussion in 'NDS - Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection' started by PigVenus, Mar 18, 2008.

Mar 18, 2008
  1. PigVenus
    OP

Member PigVenus GBAtemp Regular

Sri Lanka
    I have a several DSs and a Wii. Currently I have a D-Link wireless router running WPA2 and I am unwilling to compromise my security. However, I am willing to pay for a solution. [​IMG] I was wondering if I could get a second wireless router and set it to WEP for the Wii & DSs and then connect it (via cat5) to a port on my current wireless router. Would this work? Is there a way to block off access to the rest of my network from the 2nd router?

Currently I have several computers cat5'ed to a switch which is cat5'ed to my wireless router. The wireless side supports 2 computers.

Would I just be better off getting the Nintendo WiFi adapter thing? Would I be able to block off access to the rest of my network?

Any comments would be much appreciated.

2. sk3tch

Member sk3tch GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I haven't heard good things about the Nintendo Wi-Fi adapter. In fact, they've stopped supporting it.

EDIT: here's a link that confirms Nintendo no longer supports the adapter.

There's really no point in buying a second router to setup as WEP (and leave your current one at WPA2) because consumer-grade routers rarely have granular enough access control (robust firewall rules, etc.) - so you'd just be essentially opening another hole in your network.

I guess if I were you I'd set my network to WEP and go that route. Perhaps look into a firewall solution (i.e. buy a cheap computer and set it up with a Linux-based firewall like Astaro or something) so you can manage the access people have if they should break through WEP. Or, buy the Nintendo Wi-Fi adapter from a reputable retailer that will allow you to return it (should it not work very well or be flaky).

3. PigVenus
    OP

Sri Lanka
    I should have mentioned that I want it all - secure wireless network and the ability to use utilities like DSPad, DS2Key, PointyRemote, and DS2Win Fusion. I finally decided to just try the Nintendo Wi-Fi USB. It is the only way that I can see to keep my network secure (secure as WPA2 anyways) and be able to use those wireless programs.

Adding another router would open up a potential WEP hole in my network security. I might as well downgrade my security to WEP if I am going to put a wireless router on my network that is running WEP.

I will post again once I receive it and set it up and let you all know how well it works.

4. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    from what i have read i can agree with what sk3tch said, the nintendo usb adaptor is junk. i have read more posts of people complaining about it, trying to get it to work, messing with the install app, etc, than people who actually use it. if you were to add a second wifi router or wireless access point and give it wep your just giving someone a hole in the middle of your network behind the security of your other router. however, unless you live next to a bunch of crazy 12 yr old hackers i wouldn't really be all that concerned about wep. sure its crackable, but so is wpa (it just takes longer). just set up your router to restrict access via MAC address, and then load up your devices. the nds does indeed have its own mac address which can be found in the wifi settings. hopefully your router has a nat firewall that functions, running that in conjunction with the windows firewall *should* not cause any added network drops and allow you more security. its good to be paranoid, but its better to play with your nds online! =)

also depending on what type of config files your router supports you could write a small script to adjust settings with the typing of one command. or just go in manually each time you want to mess with the nds and set your security down to wep.

goodluck,
    -another world

5. coolbho3000

Member coolbho3000 GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic

I was "fooled into" buying the WiFi USB Connector, but it isn't bad once you've modded it into a SoftAP. This turns your computer into a 24mbps router (without WPA support).

6. PigVenus
    OP

Sri Lanka
    I got my Nintendo Wi-Fi USB and downloaded v1.06 drivers. Installation was absolutely painless. Works perfect. (I am running it on WinXP SP2). CPU usage for NintendoWFCReg.exe remains at 0% all the time.

Now I have WPA2 on my wireless router and wifi access for my NDSs and Wii! Also, according to the "Nintendo DS Wireless Networking Guide Version 0.43" by TJ Nardi:

The Wi-Fi Connector on the other hand, uses a completely proprietary and unique
    challenge-response system, that as of this writing, has not been exploited.

The bottom line is, at this point in time, WEP can easily be cracked, but the
    Wi-Fi Connector's user registration system can't communicate to the USB adapter at a different layer.

That's having my cake and eating it too! I'm lovin' it.