Recommended UK ISP?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Harsky, Jul 16, 2008.

Jul 16, 2008

Recommended UK ISP? by Harsky at 2:43 AM (1,667 Views / 0 Likes) 18 replies

1. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    About 6 years ago, my dad decided to choose an ISP and for some reason, he chose AOL. For the first 2 years it was an endless cycle of phoning tech support, getting put on hold, told to go through crap AOL software just to be able to go online for 10 seconds before it cuts out. Strange thing was that after that initial tough years it went plain sailing. The problems I solved myself and the speed is 4mb which I can deal with but somehow the stigma of still using AOL in this time and age is just embarrassing so I need a new ISP.

I see on TV adverts for Virgin Broadband but I'm very wary that this could be another "lots of promise, failure to deliver" company. Is there anyone on GBAtemp using Virgin as their ISP?

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    I was with telewest in one place and NTL in the other. Since Virgin took over they have gone downhill (from pretty good to functional at best and this is to say nothing of their charging (I know 6 people overcharged by a lot and it takes serious effort to sort it) and then we have the phorm debacle http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02/29/phorm_roundup/ and
    This is assuming a cabled street, their DSL has been and currently is by all accounts pathetic.

BT also afflicted by phorm but their option 3 is not bad provided you live near to an exchange.
    http://www.dslzoneuk.net/distance.php Rather nicely they have a 3 connection unlimited download as far as I can tell giganews hookup for usenet.

Having dealt with tech support for both the only thing that kept me from losing it on all the occasions was the fact I phoned them (and I crashed the BT guys computer, it seems 7680x1200 is a bit too large to stream across a faulty connection).

And another site:
    http://www.thinkbroadband.com/isps.html

You also want to think how much you download (and junk like youtube as well as stuff like myspace suck down bandwidth almost as fast as my usenet connection) as everyone has a limit these days it seems (even if it says otherwise, see "fair use").

3. Calafas

Member Calafas GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    I'm on BT Broadband, and I dont have any problems with it. :]

4. ShadowXP

Member ShadowXP ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

United Kingdom
    I'm on Virgin and it's horrible. I really want to switch to O2. I've heard Sky is okay, but seriously, anything is better than Virgin.

5. R2DJ

Member R2DJ GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    I'm using Sky as my ISP. The speed is decent as we are on 16GB. Super-fast connection. For example, when you download a decent torrent (lots of seeds and less leechers), the range of download speed is from 500-700 KB/s. But the crap thing about it is the wireless connection. REALLY low signal. My router is on the stairs. If you use a laptop and sit next to it, you get like 130KB/s. When I'm at my room (which is like a flight of stairs away from the router), I only get 600KB/s, which is really slow.

So don't get Sky. You can't even use other routers to solve the wireless problem as it "breaches the T&C". BT IMO is better.

I suggest looking at Pipex and Redten Internet. Redten offers a free PC but I still have to see the review of the ISP.

6. arctic_flame

Member arctic_flame GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan

United Kingdom
    I seem to be the only one who finds Virgin fine. Their TV sucks, but the broadband is ok.

7. Dack

Member Dack GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Virgin broadband on cable is OK - except the the pain in the derriere traffic shaping (between 10 and 3, and 4 and 9).

As you have a BT line already then check www.samknows.com for availability of providers in your area - talktalk actually aren't that bad at the moment (about £21 a month if you want the broadband and all landline calls). Best would seem to be "Be" (www.bethere.co.uk ) Who have very good speeds via ADSL2 and no caps for a similar price.

What I would also suggest is signing up on www.quidco.com so that you get cashback for whoever you choose to use - it's a referal site that charges £5 a year but currently offers about £40 for signing up with TalkTalk and about £100 last time I checked for Virginmedia.

8. terminator99

Member terminator99 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Virgin has a 3 strikes and your out policy when downloading. This has come into action just recently.

Im with sky with no such policy tho. [​IMG]

9. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    if you want to download huge files you can forget virgin media altogether.

10. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    They've actually backtracked on that saying that it was a mistake.

I'm with Virgin and so far I've not had any problems or slowdown on the broadband side of things, I just got problems with "On Demand" not working when I demand it.

Carphone Warhouse are said to be "never introducing" anything like this but I have no idea what they offer or what the service is like.

11. Prime

Member Prime GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Here is a tip: Don't get Pipex Homecall.

12. ackers

Member ackers GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    I use virgin and I don't get any probs with them.

13. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    I guess I should've mentioned that no download limit is an absolute must. Also, no cable suggestion because I'm living in a cabless area. It's funny, I think I'm probably the only one still using AOL's no download limit package. Also, I keep going to a lot of sites that check what broadband is available near me and all of them say I can only get 1mb but I'm sure on a good day I can download at 400kb/s which if I remember means it's 4mb.

Surely if I opt for one of the, "up to 8mb" packages they won't downgrade it?

14. Armadillo

Member Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    I'd go with be if you can get it. I'm with them , up to 24mb (I only get 8 [​IMG] ) , but no download limits , no shaping , no throttling just let you do what you want. Been with them for about a year now , no problems [​IMG] , also three month contract instead of a year [​IMG].

15. Javacat

Member Javacat GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    BT are v good. They don't seem to have the best reputation, but I (and many others I know) have been with them for years and not had any problems. + the BT Homehub is an excellent piece of kit if you go with the option that includes it.

Out of interest I've just checked BTs latest options and they appear to have updated them since I last looked. Option 3 looks v good atm and according to the fair usage policy really is unlimited.

16. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    I'm also on virgin, but find the 20mb a little overpriced. They seem to please themselves when they traffic shape as I find it hard at time to get a constant 20mb. The only problem I've ever had with them is getting the modem set up at first. It took a few phone calls before they got it working, I got the whole the internet isn't working in your area.

17. xJonny

Member xJonny ...

BT, O2, Be, TitanADSL, Fast.co.uk are all very good.

You can find tons of reviews and feedback at ISP Review

18. TrolleyDave

Former Staff TrolleyDave Philosolosophising

United Kingdom
    I use AOL. I know everyone hates them but I've never had any problems with them. I've got an 8 Mbit connection that gets me a stream of around 790=800k/s when using newsgroups and there's no download limits. Can't really ask for more.

Oh yeah, they do have a 30gig a month "fair use" policy but when I go over it all it basically happens is I'm capped at 100k/s during peak hours.

19. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    You've probably already realised this but check you're looking at the prices and plans on the right part of their site; Virgin Broadband's main service is cable. [​IMG] (Virgin got the cable lines when it took over NTL and Telewest Blueyonder). They do offer a non-cable service, but when asking how good Virgin are you might want to make sure you're getting answers from other ADSL users. I can vouch for their cable service, but that review's not much good to you [​IMG]