Recommended Routers.

Discussion in 'Wii - Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection' started by Saturnplanet5, Jul 15, 2007.

Jul 15, 2007

Recommended Routers. by Saturnplanet5 at 9:06 AM (5,472 Views / 0 Likes) 31 replies

1. Saturnplanet5
    OP

Member Saturnplanet5 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    Please post in this thread if your router works with the Wii and more importantly the DS. Hopefully this thread will provide people with a database and help them to decide which router to buy. Let people know Brand, Model, Version number and how easy it was to setup. Mods make this sticky if the thread becomes popular. I'll start.
    At the moment I am using;

D-Link DI-524 Version B4. Firmware 2.03.

When I first got it it I tried it "out of the box" on channel 11. My Wii would detect it but would fail connection tests, same thing happened with the DS. So I set the router up on channel 9 with WEP encryption and a unique SSID. After matching the Wii and DS settings with the router everything works flawlessly.

*Edit* I know nintendo has a list on the Wi-Fi webpage. Please don't link to it as I'd prefer some user opinions.

2. nloding

Member nloding GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I use a D-Link DGL-4300 and it works great. It's a great router too. A little pricey though ...

3. ninjya

Newcomer ninjya Advanced Member

My recommended router that I ofcourse own myself is the Linksys WRT54GL with the tomato custom firmware.

It works perfectly with every console that i have that supports wireless (360, ps3, wii, ds, psp, etc) and it works perfect with me computer ofcourse [​IMG]

It's been constantly on since I bought it with no reboot whatsoever and has never failed me at anything. It's been a little over half a year now [​IMG]

4. xcalibur

Member xcalibur Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear

United Kingdom
    I use a simple Speedtouch 585i (i think) And it works perfect for me.
    no issues EVER

5. Sick Wario

Member Sick Wario Club Nintendo

United Arab Emirates
    Ninji is right
    WRT54GL is the best! i use dd wrt firmware though. it has been stable for over 5 months now, with 2 ethernet PCs, 3 wireless laptops and wii/DS/360

6. OSW

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
    I am also using D-Link DI-524 revision B4. It is reasonably easy to use and works great, however the range is terrible.

perhaps we could add this to the wiki?

7. avant1277

Member avant1277 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I'm using a NETGEAR DG834G. It works great with my DS using WEP encryption. I have my wii connected to it via a datel LAN adapter, since the router and wii are close to each other alongside the same wall. Have my PC connected to it, got the port forwarding for torrents set up easy first time.

It's cheap, easy to get hold of, easy to use and I recommend it. I bought the same for my parents and a few mates too - they are all v.happy with the performance.

I've not really tested the range that much, but I can get online with my DS from anywhere within my home.

8. IBNobody

Member IBNobody I try to keep myself amused.

United States
    It's a great router.

I'm running the stock FW on it because the only WiFi things I own wouldn't benefit from the speed booster unlock.

It's totally invisible, and I've never needed to reset it. 10000x better than that D-Link garbage I had at first.

9. frostfire

Member frostfire GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    I'm using a SpeedTouch 716 (software version 5.3.2.6.0) , works great with my DS (WEP encryption). I don't own a Wii, but i'm sure it would work without any problem as well.

This router is really easy to set up and configurate, in my house we have 3 pc's (and my DS) connected through it. I really do recommend it [​IMG].

10. Chanser

Member Chanser :o

Macau
    The Speedtouches uses Broadcom wireless chips, Nintendo funnily enough use Broadcom chips for their wireless feature in Wii and DS. Basically a match made in heaven. [​IMG]

11. AshuraZro

Member AshuraZro Belongs in a museum.

Canada
    WRT-54G v6 with DD-WRT Micro firmware. I don't need a lot of these extra functions but what I did need was firmware that functioned properly. With the official stock firmware, the device would restart anytime a wired connection was made. With DD-WRT though, been a kick ass router with extremely rare restarts. Talking about maybe once a month or so.

Works great with Wii and DS on Channel 11, as well as of course every other wireless device I own.

Used to have a D-Link DI-624 but it eventually started crapped out within 10 seconds of starting a torrent download on any computer in the home.

12. pdav20

Newcomer pdav20 Member

Canada
    Well I use a D-Link and it works perfectly on my DS [​IMG]

13. [M]artin

Member [M]artin .

United States
    Is this custom firmware the best around town? I have a WRT54G v5 and the official firmware from January of this year but if there's something better out there that will boost its performance, I wants it. [​IMG]

EDIT: And also, where can I find it?

14. AshuraZro

Canada
    It's the only custom firmware I've touched for the device so I can't vouch on weither or not it's the best.

However I can say that it's fairly easy to manage still as it's web interface is still laid out the same as the standard firmware. With of course some new stuffs. But I haven't touched anything new in it but broadcasting power.

The default was WAY too low, about 1/4th the stock firmwares so I popped it up to almost match the original setting. Just enough to meet my needs.

Anyways, to get back in tune with your question, I'm sure the other DD-WRT users here can tells ya about it in greater detail. Just keep in mind though that you would have to use the Micro Generic version, like me. Of course some extra stuff is missing from that but it still has much more options and settings to play with than the stock firmware! [​IMG]

- EDIT -

http://www.bitsum.com/openwiking/owbase/ow.asp?WRT54G5_CFE

Here's a guide. It's either the exact one I used when I flashed mine or damn close. Anyways, make sure you read the areas relevant to your router a couple times and while I'm sure you know this, always use wired connection for such a process.

15. looneyboy784

Newcomer looneyboy784 Member

United States
    The better firmware is called DD-WRT and it works on many different routers. I have also used Tomato firmware on my WRT54GS but I have found DD-WRT to have more features that I need and it has better documentation.

Before using DD-WRT i recomend reading the Wiki and finding the version of the firmware specific to you model of router if possible, my friend bricked his router after he used the wrong firmware version.

16. WildCard

Member WildCard Advanced Member

United States
    I am using the D-Link DGL-4300 Gaming router as well. Not ONCE have I had problems connecting my Wii or DS or any other device for that matter. It is a bit pricey like nloding said, but it also has GIGABIT ports built in so it's awesome for home networks.
    The range is great from what I've experienced as well. ALSO I've never had to shut it down or reboot it after my initial setup. It's never let me down(got it last year).

17. [M]artin

Member [M]artin .

United States
    Thanks for the tips guys! [​IMG]

18. Calogero91

Member Calogero91 Gamertag: Calogero91 add me.

Canada
    I like linksys routers but make sure to enable i wep because i just totally effed up my neighbours router. muahaha.

19. Renegade_R

Member Renegade_R Audio/Video Expert

Canada
    Fuck Linksys...owned two of their products and have been heavily disappointed...my router needs a full reset every six months because it just piles its flash memory with garbage data then crashes.

20. AshuraZro

Canada
    That's the weird thing with routers. You'll never find one that has perfect ratings from everyone. It seems like everyone has a different experience with routers. Some good, some bad, some god awful. Makes it really hard to recommend routers or to even shop for a good router yourself.